DeepCool's Liquid Cooled PSU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't see any trolling going on here. I'm pretty much in agreement with everything Gam3r01 has said. Further, let's not degenerate into slinging insults to anybody, whether we agree with them or not. As always, if you disagree, attack the facts, not the person.

Nobu

Reputable
May 27, 2015
Yeah, if this were a 1000W+ PSU that was powering two or three hungry GPUs it'd make more sense. My 720W PSU barely makes any noise, though I'm only powering an r9 270x and an overclocked A10-6800k with 16GB of 1.65V DDR3 OC'd ram.

On the other hand, if it's possible to make the components inside replaceable without hindering the efficacy if the water cooling, that'd make it more appealing, imo, Since that'd allow you to replace older internals without spending the full price again, or upgrade to a larger capacity unit (if it wasn't too difficult to design that way).

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014
I'm trying to keep an open mind here... but this is totally pointless, surely!?

If you're building a silent mid-power (300-700W) there are already fanless (or semi-fanless) options available. If you're building some Tri-GPU monster that you want to keep quiet, dissipating the 1200 odd watts of heat from those graphics cards is going to take far noisier fans than those required to handle the ~100 watts worth of heat coming from a top tier PSU.

Am I missing a use-case here?

Actually, I run a custom loop ,(wasn't going for silent when I did), for OC'ing purposes. I have a ton of fans on a huge External Radiator that sits several feet behind and below my PC (behind the desk). All the fans are Low Speed Yate Loons, which were extremely cheap. You can't hear anything running when the PC is on. I think I can hear the PSU fan sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it's just the DVD drive or HDD storage drive running.

I agree, the PSU does not need this at all. My EVGA is extremely quiet and also has an Ecco mode, which I never use. I was just trying to point out to you that dissipating a lot of heat doesn't mean you'll be getting a lot of extra noise with it.

This.
It dosent matter how much heat you dissipate, its how efficiently you can do it that related to temperatures. AIO coolers and the likes have to be smaller in size, so higher fan speeds, and higher dBA from that.
External radiator, large, plenty of fans however, near silent, but bulky.

BrushyBill

Distinguished
May 23, 2014

Exactly. Also never forget to take into account the room's ambient temps. My PC room has it's own AC unit just so it stays at a controlled 68f at all times. And also if you are using a large radiator like a MO-RA3 or something bigger, with a lower ambient temp and just a ceiling fan in the room you can passively cool your liquid without actually installing fans on the radiator. Lots of variables to play with there though. I payed like $2.50 a fan for those low speed Yate Loons, which work great for my setup. My Radiator's fins are far enough apart I don't need the high static pressure.

My system doesn't transport so well though. So it's not very efficient when it comes to mobility.... I actually have a floor-shelf made that I mounted the Rad, a Reservoir, one of my pumps and a fanless 500w PSU to (for the pump and Rad fans). Since it's solid wood, it weighs almost as much as my full tower with multi GPUs and full copper water blocks on everything. An Extremely Bulky setup I have. But the cooling is second to none, under water.

Edit: And you were right in one of your previous posts. It is not cost effective at all. It's more of an Enthusiast kinda thing, imo. AIO's aren't bad if you want cost effective. I have a spare H220-X with an EK Supremacy sitting in a drawer, which I used to use for my CPU. Not a bad setup at all. And not much money in comparison. But definitely more sound output.

Status
Not open for further replies.