DeepCool's Liquid Cooled PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Cool concept but I'm having trouble getting the point of this. I see these arguments:

1). "They can make it lower efficiency to save cost"
You could get away with making it bronze to save cost there, but then the savings are lost by adding this cooling loop. Remember the extra engineering time and QA needed for running water through a power converter reliably

2). "PSU fans are loud"
I've seen this thrown here and there. Personally I have a Corsair HX750i and the fan is off until 300 watts, or at 40% minimum (through Corsair Link) which is completely silent anyways. In my opinion, the PSU in your build should not be a budget item, and if you picked well, it should be pretty quiet.

Again, I like this idea, but I don't see the point of it. The compromises in what will probably price/performance will probably not be that great.

c0rr0sive

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
Fans on most good power supplies are already really quiet, I honestly see no point in buying something like this, because you are still going to have a fan somewhere to dissipate the heat from the radiator, and fans can only get so "silent" before they don't move air anymore.

I'm trying to keep an open mind here... but this is totally pointless, surely!?

If you're building a silent mid-power (300-700W) there are already fanless (or semi-fanless) options available. If you're building some Tri-GPU monster that you want to keep quiet, dissipating the 1200 odd watts of heat from those graphics cards is going to take far noisier fans than those required to handle the ~100 watts worth of heat coming from a top tier PSU.

Am I missing a use-case here?

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014
For when you have water-cooled your CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, HDD, and Motherboard, and you still have that itch in your brain that it's not enough

Maybe sometime, someone will also come up with a water-cooled fan, or a water-cooled radiator. Heck, why not a water-cooled water cooling loop?

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
Wouldn't it be better to just buy a platinum rated PSU instead since that should simply less hot in the first place because it's more efficient? I have a passively cooled seasonic PSU that's platinum rated and it barely gets hot at all.

I mean, it just seems like you're throwing more power (to drive the cooling) at a PSU in order to fix the problem that it's not efficient enough; seems like completely the wrong tactic to me.

Sparrow_Lassy

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
This could be considered as giving the consumers additional methods to customized their rig. We can almost chuck it under "if we build it they will buy"- in this case, people will buy it maybe just for the cool factor in itself. I agree with the comments made above, this would not be a product I would consider purchasing.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013

Thinking about it a little more, I suppose it makes some sense if it's intended to be a part of a DIY cooling loops, since you're cooling components anyway you might as well add the PSU too. But to be honest as the efficiency of CPUs, GPUs and PSUs improves (I didn't even notice that there's now a titanium rating), it seems like the need for liquid cooling is getting less and less relevant.

Even when you do want to push the limits an AIO cooler for the CPU plus a GPU with integrated liquid cooler (or an adapter for an AIO cooler) provides all anyone really needs while being much simpler all round. Once those are taken care of there's not much point in doing the PSU as well as there's ton of thermal overhead for it to just cool itself.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
i think its pretty cool that they are kind of expanding what can be liquid cooled. like haravikk said, If you have a diy cooling loop, you already have lots of stuff in the loop, might as well as a bit more. I think for aesthetics it would be pretty awesome.

HOWEVER.... im hesistant to put liquid that close to my psu. maybe its non conductive liquid? id assume it would be? but just any liquid that close to my psu scares mea bit (although ive seen mineral oil tank pc's so...)

Aug 15, 2013
I'm pretty sure this is a technical exercise. There's no real market for a liquid cooled PSU like this. However, when you start talking data centers... if the techniques developed in this low risk project can be applied to industrial scale power supplies and integrated into the existing liquid cooling for liquid cooled servers I could see a potential market opportunity there.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I don't understand why they don't use a non-conductive liquid with decent thermal properties (mineral oil), seal the PSU and make a CLC for it. I mean if you really want to keep hard to cool component cool, just immerse them in a liquid.

Idea doesn't make much sense (an efficient PSU doesn't have that much heat to dissipate... Especially a Gold 650W). But I don't understand why you would assume that it couldn't be as good or better than an EVGA PSU.

nem3sis

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
this idea will be very nice be implemented in big psu like 1200w or 1500w.. there the heat to disipate will be massive.. and have low temps could be the psu work very nice... :D

James_171

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Don't listen to the endless line of people who try to knock creative ideas. People have been wishing they could get rid of Fans in computer systems since before the IBM PC. I was there and heard the president of a fortune 500 yelling that a B17 (Bomber) had fewer "fans" then the new computer system that was promised to be fan free. I don't care how many speeds a fan has... if its on it makes noise.

Closed system = dust and fuzz don't block up the power supply vents and thus it doesn't fail or shut down.

It seems to me that you will be able to keep components cooler for the same type so won't you either be able to get more wattage out of the parts you use or at least longer life?

I don't know the answer but what is the life of a fan versus a pump? All things being equal like if your talking fan running dust free (Never going to happen unless you in a clean room)

QUESTION AUTHORITY!

I want an all liquid cooled system!

If you want fans out of a PC liquid cooling is not the way to do it.
Mostly because they require fans
Eventually we will get to a passive system with low wattage components, liquid cooling is not the answer to a fanless computer.

James_171

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
This is going to come off troll like and I don't mean it that way but for God's sake.... do a search for fanless liquid cooling. Why would you want to knock someones project before you study the topic enough to not have the first two pages of answers from a search engine refute your absolute statement of "They Require Fans"

Check out this link
http://photonics.engr.uga.edu/watercooling/
written by a student who builds a fanless computer. Good basic engineering stuff by a talented guy with a very readably writing style. He does some work on a product he purchased that was supposed to be a fanless power supply *With a fan... That part by itself is worth reading.

Check out this off the shelf product http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Zalman-Reserator-2-Fanless-Water-Cooling-System-Review

or better yet *This is really nice
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118111

Fans Suck... Or blow I guess, depending on which side of them you stand.

" For some time, I ran the radiator fanless. This turned out to be a bad idea as the fins of the radiator were too close to allow free convection."
He ended up using such a large cooling array that it becomes impractical to use in a computer. Sure I can hook a liquid loop up to a large radiator that I sit next to my PC, but its not efficient, compact, cost efficient, or practical.

James_171

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Whatever.... Oh... I get it. This is YOU being a troll. Right? You must be laughing your ass off and I must be vegging out to get worked up by this. I think I'm turning into Marc Maron where he drives himself crazy reading things on twitter.

Did you look at the 3 links? What did you think about the two commerical products? I really admire the student (who wrote the article in the first link) He did something that people have been talking about for at least 30 years. It might look a little crude but he has a fanless 0 dB computer that works in a garage in Georga during the summertime.

Im not a troll, I come to and use this site to discuss and recommend tech information. If I was interested in trolling I wouldnt have 12 thousand posts.
The consumer systems listed are 9 years old (as of yesterday in fact) and designed for Pentium era processors. Given the fact the product hasnt been updated, nor widely used, they did not sell well not operate efficiently. We are talking about a tower convection heat exchange for a 65w-95w processor alone.

I see components becoming so efficient they dont need extra cooling before passive liquid cooling becomes viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.