Defrag Option Disabled in My Computer

JamesJ

Hi. For some reason today I noticed that the defrag button is
disable and text saying 'No defragmentation tool is currently installed'.
Even though my defrag desktop icon opens the defrag window and
seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

What defrag button, where?

Restore Defrag.exe (Line 280, Left)
Restore Defrag Snap-In (Line 291, Left)
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

JamesJ wrote:
> Hi. For some reason today I noticed that the defrag button is
> disable and text saying 'No defragmentation tool is currently installed'.
> Even though my defrag desktop icon opens the defrag window and
> seems to work fine. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> James

JamesJ

Sorry. In My Computer-Drive Properties-Tools tab.

> What defrag button, where?
>
> Restore Defrag.exe (Line 280, Left)
> Restore Defrag Snap-In (Line 291, Left)
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
>

> JamesJ wrote:
> > Hi. For some reason today I noticed that the defrag button is
> > disable and text saying 'No defragmentation tool is currently
installed'.
> > Even though my defrag desktop icon opens the defrag window and
> > seems to work fine. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James

How about Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defrag? Can you
run Defrag from there?
--
~PA Bear

JamesJ wrote:
> Sorry. In My Computer-Drive Properties-Tools tab.

> > What defrag button, where?
> >
> > Restore Defrag.exe (Line 280, Left)
> > Restore Defrag Snap-In (Line 291, Left)
> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP
> >

> > JamesJ wrote:
> > > Hi. For some reason today I noticed that the defrag button is
> > > disable and text saying 'No defragmentation tool is currently
> > > installed'. Even though my defrag desktop icon opens the defrag
> > > window and seems to work fine. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > James

JamesJ

Yes. It runs from the desktop and from Start > Programs > Accessories >
System Tools.
I ran the kelly's-korner reg fix with no success.

> How about Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defrag? Can you
> run Defrag from there?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Sorry. In My Computer-Drive Properties-Tools tab.
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > What defrag button, where?
>> >
>> > Restore Defrag.exe (Line 280, Left)
>> > Restore Defrag Snap-In (Line 291, Left)
>> > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>> > --
>> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), AH-VSOP

Fix the DefragPath:
http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0a940f004995fb93

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
> Yes. It runs from the desktop and from Start > Programs > Accessories >
> System Tools.
> I ran the kelly's-korner reg fix with no success.

>> How about Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defrag? Can
>> you run Defrag from there?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> JamesJ wrote:
>>> Sorry. In My Computer-Drive Properties-Tools tab.
>>>
>>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message

JamesJ

It's all better now. installed the .inf file.
But I was wondering how this happened to begin with?!
Why the msc file was working fine through a desktop icon and accessories.

Thanks Ramesh and PA Bear,
James

> Fix the DefragPath:
> http://groups.google.co.in/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/0a940f004995fb93
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
>> Yes. It runs from the desktop and from Start > Programs > Accessories >
>> System Tools.
>> I ran the kelly's-korner reg fix with no success.
>>
>> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How about Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Defrag? Can
>>> you run Defrag from there?
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Installation of third-party defrag tools may have broken the DefragPath in
the registry.