[SOLVED] Deleted extended partition & 2 primary partitions repartitioned

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
2Tb Wd Hdd. Had 3 primary & 1 extended partition. Deleted all partitions re partitioned with 3 primary partitions. Cloned win10 to 1st partition then set uefi . In Diskmgmt, the partition doesn't offer the Set Active choice. Have tried to Set Active both as an Administrator and Elevated Command.

The 1st partition is win10 os, but the system will not set the partition active indicating it is not a system partition. Noticed HDD partition 2 is uefi fixed.

1. Does the HDD need to be repartitioned setting the active partition before setting it as uefi?
  2. How do I returned to Mbr from Uefi short of repartioning?
Also noticed the disc somehow was set as dynamic before I had deleted all partitions & repartitioned.

Solution
I was just trying to get to what you were doing.
It seems to be Not Working, so that would seem like a path to follow.

As for the new system, that will need its own fresh OS install.
Not a clone from the old system.

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Cloned WIn 10....from what?
Does that drive still exist?
Cloned SSd which is Active. Plan to dual boot. Also Notice Hdd part 2 uefi is showing as system disk.

Using Macrium the cloned ssd was an image from storage Restored to HDD.

I just learned that I can clean the HDD in Diskpart and start again. Should I follow this path? At what point do I set uefi for the disk?

Last edited:

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Give us some more details of exactly what you had, and what you're trying to do.
Clone and dualboot? Why?

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.
  1. Had 2tb HDD 3 primary parts, 1 of the primaries was extend part. Deleted all of the Parts. Setup 3 Parts so that I could set uefi on drive.
  2. Part 1 was to be system OS, but after installing from Macrium image of the System SSD Win10 and setting uefi on HDD, part 1 could not set active.
  3. Intent was to have HDD as backup of Active OS as I am building new system and to setup New uefi (only) Mobo, I wanted to keep alternate Win10 available in case of issues with new system. And Dual boot as availablity in case of SSD failure.
As note all files are backed up monthly to external rotating HDD's.

4. As noted I found I can clean the Hdd and Install Win10 again. Trying to avoid the time expended which has already been expended....
Lastly, I have a snip of the Diskmgmt state, but can't remember how to send the pic.

Suggestions, Please.

USAFRet

Titan
Intent was to have HDD as backup of Active OS as I am building new system and to setup New uefi (only) Mobo, I wanted to keep alternate Win10 available in case of issues with new system. And Dual boot as availablity in case of SSD failure.
Dualboot is NOT a good means of backup/availability. This only leads to complexity and fail.

After a proper clone operation, you should NOT have to mess around with setting something to active.

Bottom line - You wish to clone from an HDD to an SSD?

And what does the NEW system have to do with this?

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Dualboot is NOT a good means of backup/availability. This only leads to complexity and fail.

After a proper clone operation, you should NOT have to mess around with setting something to active.

Bottom line - You wish to clone from an HDD to an SSD?

And what does the NEW system have to do with this?
You seemed to want detail about purpose.
Cloning was simpler that re creating Os on Hdd. Both Hdd &SSd used on computer. The HDD is basically storage unit until Os & other files backed up periodically. Have had ssd fail and this preserves simple backup on HDD.

Bottom line I was using the SSD Image to create Os on the HDD and converting from Legacy to Uefi to meet the New MOBO UEFI only condition.. Current system is Legacy or Uefi.

New system has to do with using SSD for OS and retaining a workable OS on the old system should I encounter issues.

USAFRet

Titan
I was just trying to get to what you were doing.
It seems to be Not Working, so that would seem like a path to follow.

As for the new system, that will need its own fresh OS install.
Not a clone from the old system.

Solution