[SOLVED] Deleted IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, monitors goes to sleep when i boot my pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I recently got a new ssd and wanted to install windows on it, i followed a guide given by a user on this site, telling me to delete my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in order to boot into BIOS and install Windows from there onto my SSD. My SSD was not visible in disk management, but it was in BIOS.

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I recently got a new ssd and wanted to install windows on it, i followed a guide given by a user on this site, telling me to delete my IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in order to boot into BIOS and install Windows from there onto my SSD. My SSD was not visible in disk management, but it was in BIOS.

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
What exactly is the installation media? i used a guide that told me to uninstall IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and reboot

Edit: I've unplugged my hdd but my monitors goes to sleep and the backlighting in my keyboard doesnt turn on and so on

Edit: i just rebooted and im in the BIOS now, thank you so much!!!!

Last edited:

rgd1101

Don't
What exactly is the installation media? i used a guide that told me to uninstall IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and reboot
and how is that install to ssd?

I've unplugged my hdd but my monitors goes to sleep and the backlighting in my keyboard doesnt turn on and so on
unpluging hdd shouldn't do that. did you disconnect anything else?
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Now it boots to a "grey" screen, kind of like when the pc boots regularly, but Windows doesnt run yet. I have Windows 32-bit on the USB although i have 8gb ram, should that make a difference?

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Yea i figured, im downloading the 64 bit now, onto my usb. I can still setup windows without my hdd connected? my ssd wasn't recognized in disk manager back when i was on my hdd.

rgd1101

Don't
that pcie type. it need sata type

from review
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883221356
"Cons: 5400rpm HDD is the weak link. This drive makes this machine crawl. I ran it for a couple days on the stock HDD before my SSD came in, and it was slow to boot, and slow to run programs. Drop another $100-150 and get a 256 or 512GB SSD. Make sure it is a m.2 SATA, and not m.2 NVME. The SSD is a must have in any modern computer, and it is an absolutely imperative upgrade in this computer if you want to enjoy this machine. "

toystory2000

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
So my pc wont ever work with a pcie type, but actually needs a sata type?

It's not that my pc doesn't detect the ssd, it's in the BIOS

Could the issue be that i use AHCI in BIOS and not NVMe? I just read this on dells website

Status
Not open for further replies.