Dell 8400 PS2 Keyboard Works In XP But Not In BIOS

pahey

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I have a Dell Dimension 8400. I am trying to add a new SATA drive for addition disk space. When I enter the BIOS (F2 from the keyboard), two things happen. First, the monitor says it cannot display. I turn the monitor off and back on, and I can see the BIOS screen. Second, and most importantly, the keyboard does not work. This is the same keyboard I'm typing on right now. The Num Lock light is solid green, but the keyboard does not respond. I have tried another keyboard with no success.

Any thoughts on how to get the keyboard to work in the BIOS so I can get the new drive installed or any other approaches?

Thanks!

pahey

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
It's a PS/2 keyboard connected directly into the computer. It is not USB. I ahve tried another PS/2 keyboard - same result. Everything works fine in Windows - but it is non responsive in the BIOS.

Sometimes the old PS/2 slots fail or just aren't up to date with the new technology, hence why USB keyboards and such are the "new" thing. If possible, borrow a USB keyboard off of a friend. That should get things working for you, at least in the BIOS.

pahey

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for the inputs. I did some more troubleshooting, and it turned out to be the system locking up due to the video. I moved over to an analog video cable and resat the video card. Not sure which it was, but I was able to get into the BIOS and configure the new drive. Thanks!