News Dell and Alienware Drop Four AMD-Powered Gaming PCs

And I'd guess that R14, for which you see a lot of 'up to xxx' references, will be much closer to $5-$6K when one specs out the 3090, the 5950X, and even 'only' 64 GB of RAM , as certainly you will pay twice as much as needed for RAM ($600 more for jumping to 128 GB, although it's hard to fathom installing that much for a gaming rig) and storage (surprisingly, there is only a $200 increase in going from 1 TB NVME to 2 TB!....)

Yes, you can get an R14 for $2900...but it will be nothing like what is spec'd , ....short of perhaps the same case.

Reactions: Rdslw
Are these sporting that great "consumer friendly" DDR mod?

If not, that's fine, but I'd love it if Tom's and everyone would put a big red label when mentioning they're using non-standard DDR modules.

Friggen Dell... Why is everyone normalizing Apple's anti-consumer practices? It's madness.

Regards.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Finally, when I just need a new laptop... I thought I will be forced to take asus, as I dont want another ddr4 model...

Have fun paying a premium for DDR5 that today isn't that much faster than DDR4. Find some low CL, Dual Rank, Dual Channel RAM and call it a day.

Are these sporting that great "consumer friendly" DDR mod?

If not, that's fine, but I'd love it if Tom's and everyone would put a big red label when mentioning they're using non-standard DDR modules.

Friggen Dell... Why is everyone normalizing Apple's anti-consumer practices? It's madness.

Regards.

This is how it all starts.... One jack@ss company does something stupid, it becomes a trend, the trend becomes industry standard/wide.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'm perfectly happy with my Asus/ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition, not TOP of the line now or compared to these but it plays everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

Have fun paying a premium for DDR5 that today isn't that much faster than DDR4. Find some low CL, Dual Rank, Dual Channel RAM and call it a day.

I know, but I need 64GB ram in laptop as I have already 32GB, and I don't really have an option for more and I keep OOM my current setup.
I tried 32GB ddr4 sodims from crucial, but the laptop refused to boot.
I know I will pay 50% premium on those, but at least I won't have to swap while working, which will give me a worthwhile performance boost.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I know, but I need 64GB ram in laptop as I have already 32GB, and I don't really have an option for more and I keep OOM my current setup.
I tried 32GB ddr4 sodims from crucial, but the laptop refused to boot.
I know I will pay 50% premium on those, but at least I won't have to swap while working, which will give me a worthwhile performance boost.

Not sure what you need 64GB of RAM for unless you are doing professional work but fair enough. Some RAM just doesn't play well with certain machines.

Granted I lost a few FPS buy
Apparently the new The Unreal Engine 5 Matrix demo is now on PC, kind of | PC Gamer doesn't run properly with 32GB of RAM. It needs 64GB!

Obviously a tech demo but no real game should require 64GB of RAM. That just means it's an unoptimized POS. Many games total size is 64GB.

The Matrix demo is what's wrong with the gaming industry over the past few years, making games more demanding than any consumer hardware on the market and so many developers are doing it.

How many games are out there where you can play high or ultra at higher resolutions and get solid 60fps. 60fps isn't even fun anymore after experiencing 120fps gaming. Games need to go back to being made for the hardware people have. And no I'm not using some janky 20 year old PC, it's new and at the lower end of top of the line.