News Dell Cannot Ship Alienware PCs to Certain U.S. States Due to Power Regulations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2020
I can see it now...

"Due to energy requirements this PC cannot ship with a graphics card. It is a required component which must be purchased separately, and must be a 'Genuine (insert OEM name here) Edition' due to BIOS restrictions."

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
I can see it now...

"Due to energy requirements this PC cannot ship with a graphics card. It is a required component which must be purchased separately, and must be a 'Genuine (insert OEM name here) Edition' due to BIOS restrictions."
Then they'd be selling a non-functional product, which may run afoul of certain other regulations.

Though in the best tradition of shipping systems with nothing but DOS 6.2, this might just create a small market for very basic graphic cards based on PowerVR cores or something, ones that would make old Intel iGPUs look nice but might nonetheless be sufficient for OS and most office work, that are good for nothing (EDIT: else) except for putting a picture on the screen, with the express purpose of getting replaced as soon as they reach end user.

Last edited:
Several of you (and you know who you are) have had their posts deleted due to the fact that they went political. Consider this an official warning that you are to stay on topic and keep any and all politics out of these threads. Any violation will result in a closure of this thread (at a minimum) and, depending upon the severity of the infraction, may lead to bans being handed out. If you feel the need to reply to this warning, the only acceptable reply is "I have read and understand the warning"

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
LOL.
and some "fan" said power doesnt matter. its cheap. (yea cheap on US not on other part of the world)
by today PC should be as fast as PC right now but only consume at max 5W TDP.

if it still consume hundreds, it will make global warming faster than ever.
too hot when summer and extreme rain or typhoon.

they dont realize that if the power usage high then it will cause the room temperature raised and then they cranked that AC more

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
FWIW 5W gives you...about what your smartphone is capable of doing right now.

Moral of the story: play your games and watch your vids on phones.:LOL:

Now if only those lasted longer for the typical user.

Every little bit helps. Some bits help more. And it's not as if PC gaming is not already going niche, compared to earlier days.

BarnLizard

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous laws. So tired of having the government telling me what I can and can't do. I'm sure glad I don't live in one of those states but, if I did, I'd be more than happy to build gamers their computers!

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous laws. So tired of having the government telling me what I can and can't do. I'm sure glad I don't live in one of those states but, if I did, I'd be more than happy to build gamers their computers!
I think there's been a misunderstanding. The law doesn't restrict what you (or a gamer in California) can do. It restricts the configuration of a PC that is sold by a company like Dell to reduce wasted power when a PC is at idle. It only applies to the configuration as shipped and does not apply to how the PC is used or configured by the end user. If you were to build PCs for gamers it wouldn't apply to you either, since it only applies to manufacturers shipping more than 50 PCs into California.

Anyway, I guess some minor outrage on the internet is fun sometimes too...

Well finally some good news...WHO needs that e-waste anyway!
Dell proprietary practices are getting out of hand, they should be banned to sell anything at all for that....not only coz particular states had better power delivery requirements!

D

Deleted member 431422

You might want to look into lithium mining and battery disposal along with California electricity blackouts.
Reminds me of Power Level 20 we had in Poland in XX century. Blackouts were quite common and announced in radio. Fortunately it's not common today.

Reactions: Why_Me
Status
Not open for further replies.