Dell Cpi and new battery

Hi all!
I recently bought a new (as the seller refers)non-original battery for
my Cpi D266XT (really a 400 Mhz,since I upgraded the CPU myself),Bios A10.
The battery is #1691 compatible (3800 mAh).My AC adapter is the PA-6 9364U.
The problem is the battery.It simply doesn't charge.
My question:is it possible to know if the battery is dead?Or maybe
there's some trouble that I'm not able to found?I only can imagine a
failure on a laptop internal charge circuit,but...can it be so?
Please consider that the battery has been delivered with 50% charge,so
it seems obvious to figure out that it can reach almost a half charge.
Suggestions?
TIA
Lorenzo

Lorenzo Cuciniello <lcuciniello@tiscali.it> wrote in

> Hi all!
> I recently bought a new (as the seller refers)non-original battery for
> my Cpi D266XT (really a 400 Mhz,since I upgraded the CPU myself),Bios
> A10. The battery is #1691 compatible (3800 mAh).My AC adapter is the
> PA-6 9364U. The problem is the battery.It simply doesn't charge.
> My question:is it possible to know if the battery is dead?Or maybe
> there's some trouble that I'm not able to found?I only can imagine a
> failure on a laptop internal charge circuit,but...can it be so?
> Please consider that the battery has been delivered with 50% charge,so
> it seems obvious to figure out that it can reach almost a half charge.
> Suggestions?
> TIA
> Lorenzo

The original Dell batteries have a battery test light on them, does your
replacement battery ?

On the Dell batteries for the C-series, it's on the side of the battery
that plugs into the system. Press the white button, you should see a
series of green LEDs light up. 5 LEDs=full charge. If you don't see at
least 1 LED light up, it's dead. I've never been able to recharge a Dell
battery pack that didn't start out with at least 1 LED lit up.

On SOME laptops (Especially early Sharp laptops) a sufficiently dead
battery DOES damage the charging circuit so that it can't charge even a
new battery. I'd really doubt that on your CPi - I've salvaged some old
CP's that had some really nasty long-dead batteries and it didn't hurt
the laptop, the charging circuit on the C series seems to be fairly
bulletproof.

- FM -

Hi Fred!
Fred Mau wrote:

> The original Dell batteries have a battery test light on them, does your
> replacement battery ?
I know 'bout and already tested it.It works very good on another Cpi
like mine.The charge circuit of my laptop has gone...:-(

> On SOME laptops (Especially early Sharp laptops) a sufficiently dead
> battery DOES damage the charging circuit so that it can't charge even a
> new battery.
It's my case...
Do you know which part I'd change in order to make it work again?I was
considering to buy another new motherboard (# item?),but don't know if
the charge circuitry is on it.I'm actually running with a Slackware
Gnu/Linux 10.0 on it and I'm very happy 'bout its performances.Don't
want to bury it!:-(
Regards
Lorenzo

Latest posts