Dell Dimension 9200: No bootable devices found, no boot devives are present(Vista -> 7 installation)

ANTONNN

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
After my PC getting slow and having loads of problems with Vista I decided to clean install my PC and install Windows 7 for the very first time, I installed it with my new ordered Windows 7 Professional 64 bit CD. It was very cheap 35€ on ebay so I bought it immediately, the seller was genuine and trusted by the ebay community, very high rated. I got my CD which looks like my old Vista OS Recovery CD. The CD I bought is like this:

recoverycd.jpg

After having problems for my Disk Drive to recognize the CD, after taking out the CD a few times & hop it in again it finally recognized the CD. I rebooted my pc, changed boot order etc and Windows was installing after being away for some time some error popped up at the early stage of installing ... windows 7 installation cannot find device drivers etc, I searched on some forums, many different opinions so I choose one which was to change it from SATA to IDE or sth, but after that & some other things I did to try to fix it everything [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] up, I can't even boot up my pc properly anymore. Also in BIOS no bootable devices are present, so simply means no bootable device in installed, everything (drivers) got erased or what, so everytime I boot up my PC it says: "No bootable device found: Press F1 to continue, F2 to Setup Utility(=BIOS). I managed to restart and pull F2 Boot Device Menu and I executed Hard Drive Diagnostics which provides me following: information:

Floppy Diskette seek failure

Hard Drive Diagnostics Running, please wait ...

Drive 0: no device

Drive 1: WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 - Pass

Drive 2: no device

Drive 3: no device

Drive 4: no device

Drive 5: no device

Test complete, press <ENTER> to reboot.

Basically windows 7 [Admin NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] my whole PC, actually I did myself probably, sorry for my offensive language but I truely got mad because I have been trying things for 12 hours. I would sincerely appreciate your help, I hope I didnt completely screwed my PC up ... I have lack of money atm so buying a new one is difficult at the moment, I hope it still can fixed, last option is to buy a new HDD.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
OK so:

1: This PC is completley fixable! No new PC needed!

We need to understand where the restore is going wrong.

So...........

Do a google for Restore "Dimension 9200" and follow the instructions. If that don't work then we move to disc based solutions. Now the disc you bought could be a mess so you may need to download another from a torrent and write it to USB using Microsoft's USB tool. Thats not illegal. So long as after the evaluation period ends you have a valid key to enter which should be on a label on your pc or on the case of your win 7 disc.

This should give you a fully working PC

bignastyid

Titan
First problem is even if you do get it installed its not going to be genuine. That is just a recover disc it does not include a win 7 license. It would be for someone with a Dell that came with win 7 pro and needed the recovery media. Since your system seems to have come with Vista you have to buy a license to run 7. Since you have the vista recovery disk you can try and reload vista to get the system up and running again, or you can Download the OEM copy of 7 and install it and it will work for a few days till you can buy a win 7 license. First reset the bios defaults using the clr cmos jumper on the motherboard. next boot to the vista or win 7 dvd, you are going to want to get the sata driver from dells website and put it on a usb key, when the Os is looking for the hdd click to load the driver from the usb key and it should see the hdd. You are going to want to a clean reinstall so delete all the partitions it shows on the hdd till all it shows in one large unpartitioned area and install to that(windows will automatically partition and format the drive. Then it should start to install windows. When it finished you will need to install drivers(chipset, audio, video, etc).

ANTONNN

Reputable
Jun 20, 2014
I can't boot up my pc anymore(to the installation) "No bootable device found: Press F1 to continue, F2 to Setup Utility(=BIOS).
so i just need to stick between BIOS and the first booting up screen, also my HDD got errors it says on 2nd screen of starting up etc. Cant boot up any USB, CD/DVD or what ever as all drivers seems to be uninstalled so it is impossible to use another CD or USB, none seem to be working ... which means i cant get into the windows installation (as all boot devices are not present/uninstalled)

bignastyid

Titan

Did you reset the bios to defaults using the cmos jumper on the motherboard? The instructions are on page 135 of the manual. Here is a link to the systems manual.
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9200_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf