Dell Fined $30,000 for Taiwanese Pricing Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I don't see how dell's pride would affect that decision.. They can't deny they screwed up.. They'll pay the fine any smart company would. Remember it's all about the cash, if dell thought they could save face I'm sure they'd fight it, but this isn't something they can save face on except by admitting to it.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Maybe now Dell will stop miss pricing items for those of us to order them and then have them cancel all of the orders. Still want my 1TB HD for 45/50 dollars.

Seriously though they should have been fined hire. If this was a first time offense no biggie but Dell has continuously made these so called, "errors" of the years, they knew about them, and did nothing to correct them from continuing to happen. They knew it would keep people coming to their site to look for more is my thought. Basically false advertising/bait and switch.

G

Anyone wants a job with Dell in Taiwan as an online product and price administrator?
I guess they have one open right now!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
HP does this too sometimes

If I am lucky, I will have an OEM QX9300 for my laptop coming next week that I paid only $500 for (they typically go for around $1200)

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"Taiwan's Consumer Protection Commission has given a fine to Dell of NT$1,000,000, or just over $30,000 USD."

According to news, the Taiwan's Consumer Protection Commission (TCPC) has asked Dell to fix the mistake by providing the monitors with 40% off from the lowest sale price... and then wen t up to 25% off from the lowerest sale price... but Dell refused and only want to give out some discount coupons instead... that is why the TCPC fined Dell. In the news... the head of TCPC in Taipei said.. if Dell still refuse to fix the problem in a reasonable way, this fine can be as much as a daily fine.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
oops.... sorry.... misread the news.... "by providing the monitors with 40% off from the lowest sale price... and then wen t up to 25% off from the lowerest sale price..." should be first 25% off and then went down to 15% off....

sorry about the wrong information.....>_

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
In June of last year my brother and I walked into a Fry's electronics store in Concord, CA to buy a couple of video cards. I noticed they had geforce 9800gtx+ for $99. We each picked one up, went to the check stand thinking nothing was wrong. The lady at the checkout scanned mine, looked at me, then told me she would be right back. When she returned she had a completely different card, same model, just made by someone else and told me it would be $216.48. I quickly knew something was up, and they had pulled a switch.

Long story short, they tried to tell me they didn't have those cards advertised at $99, those were $199 cards. Luckily for me, my brother still had his.. They "found" my card and sold it to me for $99. In the end, they lost a customer.

Companies need to honor price mistakes, even if it costs them allot.

G

lol Companies don't need to honor anything. They just want your money, and they want a large chunk of it. What to do in a would run by A**Ho*es.

dave_cable

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I Got this gem from Dell back in March 09.

"Dear Customer,

I am sorry to inform you that Dell has canceled your recent order for the Vizio 32” LCD HDTV due to a pricing error. The price shown was incorrect, and was far below the correct price for that product. As indicated on our web site, as well as in our catalogs and other advertisements, Dell reserves the right to cancel orders resulting from pricing errors. Because of the large difference in price, we have not reinstated your order, but we invite you to visit dell.com to re-order at the correct price.

We value our relationship with you, and we sincerely regret this error and the resulting inconvenience. Please be assured that we are working hard to prevent errors such as this one, and to improve your overall customer experience with us.

Sincerely,

The Dell Customer Care Team
"

I'd like to know where my justice is? Looks like the Taiwan government knows how to take care of their citizens...

anhxeom

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I got this today in the email, it was just a few days ago they were selling the Canon SD1200 for $114.......

Dear ************,

Thank you for your recent order for the Canon PowerShot SD1200 Camera. Unfortunately, there was a pricing error on your order; as a result your order was cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you would like to purchase this Canon PowerShot SD1200 Camera at the advertised price of $165, please visit www.dell.com starting July 30th 2009 through August 8th 2009. Add the coupon code below to your order when you check out to receive the camera at the discounted price of $165.00 before tax and shipping.

Your Coupon Code is: *************

We truly value our relationship and reputation with our customers. Please be assured that we are working hard to avoid this type of inconvenience in the future.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]lol man Dell's suck...[/citation]
With the recent price drops and hardware selection improvements... Dell is slowly getting better imo.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dave_cable[/nom]Looks like the Taiwan government knows how to take care of their citizens...[/citation]
It's not taken care of enough. I say force dell to fulfill every single order.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
DAMN. I write a long comment, and my internet is slow. I have to restart again >:p. My point is I have been in a such situation. One of Indonesia flagship IT online store was selling ATI Radeon Flagship about 200 YEN! Since the store is flagship, I really thing there is a real promotion. I buy it. Check out. Everything was ok until I got email like above comment. They say I have the wrong price, bla... bla... bla. Event Rp 1 they don't give me coupon / discount / some compensation. This event acually is really great grow a carefull input and responsible attitude.
Here is the detail blog about it --> http://ficforlife.com/2008/10/bhinneka-tidak-bertanggung-jawab-2.html.
Ok I thing I just copy paste this text in some place before I hit the submit button.

G

Seriously, $30,000 is a weekend getaway for Michael Dell. What kinda message is Taiwan trying to send? That's like slapping Bernard Madoff with a $1 million fine for stealing $50 billion. Or fining you a dime for failing to plug $2 into the parking meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS