Question Dell G3 3579 SSD won't boot into windows(goes into advanced startup) on laptop but on my desktop it boots perfectly fine.

Apr 19, 2023
I've been working on solving this issue for a buddy of mine for the past 2 days. The computer will not boot into windows properly and will attempt to run diagnostics and repair but fails. I've tried every single way to to reinstall windows 10 but every time I make a little bit of progress I run into another problem. THE COMPUTER JUST WILL NOT BOOT INTO WINDOWS! I've reset the CMOS battery and even put the SSD into my desktop just to see what would happen. IT BOOTED FINE! I've reset bios to default settings more than I can count. PLEASE HELP!!!!

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I've been working on solving this issue for a buddy of mine for the past 2 days. The computer will not boot into windows properly and will attempt to run diagnostics and repair but fails. I've tried every single way to to reinstall windows 10 but every time I make a little bit of progress I run into another problem. THE COMPUTER JUST WILL NOT BOOT INTO WINDOWS! I've reset the CMOS battery and even put the SSD into my desktop just to see what would happen. IT BOOTED FINE! I've reset bios to default settings more than I can count. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Trying to boot the same SSD on 2 machines will not work. Each windows installation loads specific drivers for the hardware installed. You are beating your head against the wall.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
i can almost promise you the issue will still occur... i've tried booting through a USB 2.0 flash drive countless time but it either ask for drivers to install windows or it just crashes. *it crashes when i boot using dell os windows installation iso media tool(orange bars white lines) View: https://imgur.com/a/ypXxpvg
That is telling you like I said the Windows installation is FUBAR for that machine.
Download the Windows 11 creation tool and write it to that to flash drive. Boot from the flash drive. You can stop the installation right there or continue. It will check the machine for comparability first.

Apr 19, 2023
That is telling you like I said the Windows installation is FUBAR for that machine.
Download the Windows 11 creation tool and write it to that to flash drive. You can stop the installation right there or continue. It will check the machine for comparability first.
okay just to be sure you want me to get the Windows 11 Installation Media from: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows11
write it on the flash drive then boot into it?

Apr 19, 2023
You want the creation disk to load windows on a dedicated drive attached to your buddies machine not yours. There is no getting around a second disk. PCIE M.2, serial SSD or HDD wil work.
okay please explain to me step-by-step on what i need to do... i really don't want to mess this up

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
okay please explain to me step-by-step on what i need to do... i really don't want to mess this up
Download the creation disk from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11/
select Maybe MS can explain it better. Basically you are downloading the software. Installing the app on which device is your choice of media. In your case it's a flash drive. Load the flash drive then boot from your friends laptop. It should take off from there.
Install a dedicated drive in your buddies machine first! Not yours!:)

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
do i need to extract the .iso file on to the usb thumb drive?
.iso is for optical drives. You selected the wrong download. Read the MS instructions one more time. Here: download this.. It will ask you which media. Not .iso

"Create Windows 11 Installation Media." Installation media.....​

The SSD you were first using: Even if the hardware is identical, the windows installation is married to the motherboard which the window was installed. 2 machines is a no go. You must buy a second license.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023
.iso is for optical drives. You selected the wrong download. Read the MS instructions one more time. Here: download this.. It will ask you which media. Not .iso

"Create Windows 11 Installation Media." Installation media.....​

The SSD you were first using: Even if the hardware is identical, the windows installation is married to the motherboard which the window was installed. 2 machines is a no go. You must buy a second license.
Okay im installing it now onto the usb thumb drive. im worried it will ask about "drivers" like how it did when i was attempting to reinstall windows 10 (picture below is from my attempt at windows 10.)
jMCrFCd.jpg

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
yup it did ask for media drivers... same issue i ran into before,,
Windows is asking you what device you want to install win11 installation program on. You have nothing available for such a task.
It is not seeing the flash drive. Does the USB flash drive show up in the BIOS as a bootable device? Something doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2023
Windows is asking you what device you want to install win11 installation program on. You have nothing available for such a task.
It is not seeing the flash drive. Does the USB flash drive show up in the BIOS as a bootable device? Something doesn't sound right.
yes the usb showed up as a bootable device... this is the same issue i ran into before when attempting to install windows 10 and then it proceeds to ask for "media drivers" which seem impossible to find i've tried countless different versions of the intel rapid storage technology drivers as thats what people say works but it doesn't seem to work. i almost just want to install ubuntu onto it and see if i can download windows from there...

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
yes the usb showed up as a bootable device... this is the same issue i ran into before when attempting to install windows 10 and then it proceeds to ask for "media drivers" which seem impossible to find i've tried countless different versions of the intel rapid storage technology drivers as thats what people say works but it doesn't seem to work. i almost just want to install ubuntu onto it and see if i can download windows from there...
New one on me. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more ideas. The laptop is not that old (2018). Linux? If you want to. Just not for me after 20 years of trying to make it useful for myself. Still too much muss and fuss. As an old man my patients aren't what they once were. I dealt with Unix, DOS and Amiga DOS. I just want to press the go button now. Hope for the best.

Apr 19, 2023
New one on me. Maybe somebody else will chime in with more ideas. The laptop is not that old (2018). Linux? If you want to. Just not for me after 20 years of trying to make it useful for myself. Still too much muss and fuss. As an old man my patients aren't what they once were. I dealt with Unix, DOS and Amiga DOS. I just want to press the go button now. Hope for the best.
okay, thanks for the help!