Dell G7 Storage Upgrade

Jun 21, 2018
Hey guys - I purchased a Dell G7 15 and maxed out everything I could (500 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, GTX 1060)

I'm looking to make this (as close as I can) a mobile version of my desktop PC and have the files sync up when I transfer stuff over. (I work in audio so having my sound libraries and sessions load up without having to redirect stuff would be ideal)

My desktop has a couple drives:
C: Windows (1 TB SSD - programs are installed here)
D: Games (500 GB SSD - video games are installed here)
E: Storage (1 TB HDD - documents/personal files)
F: Pro Tools (1 TB HDD - audio/work sessions)
G: Media (1 TB HDD - videos/photos)
H: Libraries (1 TB HDD - graphic design/audio sound effect libraries)

I was looking to get a 2.5" 5 TB HDD to replace the 2.5" 1 TB HDD that came with my laptop and partition it to have it match my desktop PC, however, I reached out to Dell to see if I could do this and the representative I was talking with said only a max 2 TB HDD could be used.

Is this a thing? I've never had a problem with motherboards/hard drives having a "size" limit before. I've used internal drives that were 6 TB + and they all worked fine so I'm not sure if there was just a language barrier between me and the support tech or if he was just misunderstanding my question.

TL;DR - Looking to replace 2.5" 1 TB HDD with a 2.5" 5 TB HDD - Dell support said it wouldn't work and the laptop could only read up to 2 TB drives.

Laptop sockets and chipsets can be different than Desktop equivalents. It's also not uncommon for Dell to only quote the specs. of parts they actually tested and sold. I would suggest looking up the actual limitations of the chipset and CPU socket that you're using.
Crucial.com might have an answer also since they sell SSDs.

Jun 21, 2018

I think the problem is that it may be a 7mm 2.5", which the biggest they make is 2 TB - Seagate has a 5 TB 2.5" that's 15mm, but I can't find any information as to if the drive that came pre-installed in my laptop is a 7mm or 15mm.