Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
> i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
> for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.

Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
yours would be different from mine.

Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

"dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote in message

> "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
>> i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
>> for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
>
> Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
> the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
> yours would be different from mine.
>
> Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
> couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
> creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
> already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
> relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from which
the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home office versus small
business).

dg1261 wrote:
|| "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
||| i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
||| for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
|| Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came
|| with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I
|| wonder why yours would be different from mine.
|| Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?....

it came with the single-unit cd-rw/dvd.

i haven't torn into it yet. i drove it over to my gfriend's place today and
tore the box open only to see what software came with it. i'm going to be
setting it up tomorrow.

what i did notice was, in place of an OS installation cd, there was a sheet
of paper with a graphic of such a cd on it with instructions on how to
reload the system by clicking on this or that button on the desktop.
unacceptable. :) i came home and internet chatted with one of their
outsourced support people who verified my order information and promised
that i'll receive the OS cd in 5-7 days.

BigJim

Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at boot up
you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really a computer
hacker I guess
you could burn that partition but I am not.

"dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote in message

> "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
>> i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
>> for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
>
> Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
> the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
> yours would be different from mine.
>
> Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
> couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
> creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
> already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
> relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the third
choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.

"ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
> boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!
>
> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> First---build one
>>
>> Second--Have one built to your exact specs
>>
>> Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.
>>
>> "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
>> >
>> > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?

the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at
> boot up you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really
> a computer hacker I guess you could burn that partition but I am not.

No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:

(HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
(HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
(HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe

I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
> From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from
> which the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home
> office versus small business).

Yeah, I saw those posts, Stew. But according to those, one would think this
bare-bones D3000/XP-Home computer, ordered from the Home Div., shouldn't
have had the OS CD included. But it did, so I'm just reaching for ideas as
to whether I got it per Dell policy, or if it's just 'cause I'm special. <g>

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:59:46 -0400, ZupaDupa wrote:

> Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of
> parts. I'd do research on what others have built and use that info.
> There are very stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video
> cards. Put it in a nice large case with good ventilation and a big
> power supply. It'll cost you more but you'll have a great system with
> quality parts and long warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

The problem is that most home users don't have a clue about quality parts
or even what parts work with each other. Take the P4 for instance, there
are 4 versions of it, if you don't count the mobile P4's and each of those
requires a motherboard with specific features. Next there is memory, and
that requires that you match the motherboard to the memory and to the CPU
type so that you get the fastest performance. Then video, onboard, AGP,
AGP of some variant, PCI-Express, etc.... Then video cards, same thing,
but now you have the differences in OEM and Retail performance, 128 or 256
meg cards, direct support for Direct X version 9 or 8..... And none of
this mentions SATA/IDE, 5400/7200/10000, 2mb cache, 8mb cache, 1 year
warranty or 3 or 5 year warranties.... Oh, what about DDR2 memory in CL4
or CL3, or boards that support DDR2 at 500 or 800, but then purchasing CL4
memory for them....

> Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of
> good help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer
> geek like me to do it for you... :cool: You' be amazed what a six pack of
> beer and pizza will get you.

Yea, this is possible too, but you run the risk of a stand-off in the
wrong place, a power-supply without enough max power, a flexed
motherboard, pizza sauce on the memory connectors :) People not
understanding that the RAID connectors need 2 drives and can't be used for
single drives (in most controllers).....

The best bet is to find a mom-and-pop shop, have them quote out a system
for your specific needs, get the parts list, check it out online, then
have them build it using OEM software, buy retail boxed CPU's.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

>> "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote:
>> > Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it
>> > came with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have
>> > the OS CD. I wonder why yours would be different from mine.
>> >
>> > Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?
>> > I noticed a couple registry "run" key values that look like they're
>> > intended for creating restoration media, but since my D3000
>> > came without a burner (we already have one) this would be
>> > useless. I'm wondering if that has any relevance on whether
>> > or not they toss an OS CD in the box.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at
>> boot up you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really
>> a computer hacker I guess you could burn that partition but I am not.
>
> No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
> partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:
>
> (HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
> (HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
> (HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe
>
> I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
> silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
> came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
> shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?

Put in a burner and I bet the 'create restore CD' option magically appears
on the start menu within a few boots.

Stew

Which name brand systems are NOT made somewhere on the left side of the Pacific
Rim? (Hint: Dell has system assembly facilities right here in the U S of A.)
A great many of them are assembled in mainland China. For many years, system
components (power supplies, CD-ROM drives, video cards, motherboards) have been
manufactured in mainland China, whether by the factory of a US company or by a
joint venture or by a 100% Chinese company.

Anyone who wants a computer without any parts made by "commies" had best get out
a soldering iron and metal working tools and build his or her own. This is all
the end result of detente, the crowning achievement of Richard Nixon's otherwise
flawed presidency. (Nixon is the only US president ever to resign from office,
which earns the use of the adjective "flawed". No flames about "flawed",
please.) If he and Henry the K had not opened the doors to trade and
manufacturing in China, somebody else would have. Globalization has brought
inexpensive communications and shipping, making it possible for systems and
parts to be manufactured with cheap labor over there.

None of this is new. In a past life related to my present one, I sold a lot of
parts for more proprietary DEC Wintel computers. The parts, many manufactured
in the mid '90's, were often manufactured in China. DEC was one of the first to
seize the opportunity to exploit low cost labor.

The United States and China now have a serious economic co-dependency on one
another. The good news is that this seems to deter them from rattling swords
loudly at one another and going to war. The bad news is that the country of
China has just about zero standards in place to set minimum salaries and working
conditions. Nevertheless, due to an over-abundant and dirt-poor labor force
down on the farm and out in the boondocks, Chinese laborers are willing to work
in sweatshop conditions, which are an improvement over life at home... Ben Myers

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 00:30:34 -0400, "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote:

>come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
>wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
>missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?
>
>the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
>cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!
>

>"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the
>third
>> choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.
>>

>> "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
>> > boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!
>> >
>> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>made
>we

BMac

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2005

OK,

Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
(either one will do).

Sharing is a very civilized thing to do :)

Bogdan

PS. Enjoy your system either way!

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

>>>OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
>>>more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
>>>discs.
>>>
>>>We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
>>>one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
>>>are looking at big company stuff.
>>>
>>>We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
>>
>>Sony? Look elsewhere.
>>
>>While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
>>is reported to be some of the worst support available.
>>
>>In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
>>they'll cost you a small fortune.
>>
>>Notan
>
> OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
>
> then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

I would buy a Dell & bought a Dim 8400 last month.

ZupaDupa wrote:
> "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one
>
> built
>
>>>to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared

>>>make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
>>>television or a car or a refrigerator or...
>>>

>>right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
>>delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
>>and taking them to a builder.
>

> Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
> I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
> stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
> nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
> you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
> warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.
>
> Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
> help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
> me to do it for you... :cool: You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
> pizza will get you.

Be sure to practice safe computing, however. :-D

Irene wrote:
> First---build one
>
> Second--Have one built to your exact specs
>
> Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

When's the last time you purchased an IBM desktop?

ZupaDupa wrote:
> boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!

Blame Nixon & his historic 1972 trip.

BMac wrote:
> OK,
>
> Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
> (either one will do).

<raises right hand>

Dim 8400 refurb delivered 03/03/05 (along with a refurb 1704FPV LCD
monitor).

They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.

> They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
> purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
> That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.

And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
commitment to the cause.

We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....

Stew

BMac <bmac@yack.wak> wrote:

>OK,
>
>Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
>(either one will do).
>
>Sharing is a very civilized thing to do :)
>
>Bogdan

Enough have posted after new purchases since the Dell
announcement to determine, sort of, that:

a) the "restore to as shipped factory install configuration"
partition for reinstalling the OS has been on all of them.

b) presence or lack of the WinXP OEM reinstall disk was spotty,
but tending toward presence early on in the changeover and toward
absence lately.

c) It seems that the "drivers" CD is gone, in favor of one
downloading them from Dell.

d) Productivity suite [currently WordPerfect] and AV [Macafee?
currently] reinstall CDs are included.

e) It appears that the autostart script that offers to create an
OS reinstall CD from the hidden partition of a) upon first
start-up doesn't run if a CD Drive is not present on the machine.

f) If you fight hard enough, it would seem you can get an XP
restore CD, whether at a $10 or whatever PITA charge for Dell
having to do it or not is still uncertain - not enough info on
that.

g) In a 15-minute search of the Dell web jungle yesterday,
including the forums, I failed to find any information at all on
any of this - other than the odd, unanswered by Dell, post that
tended to be saying WTFO? on this topic, just as we are in
a.s.pc-c.d.

Fortunately [and knocking on wood madly], I don't expect to be
getting a new machine for a year or so, when this will have
played out. Depending on how it has played out, if an OS
reinstall CD is not available from Dell - or Gateway, or HP/C,
etc. should they have better pricing - I would be inclined to go
the OS-less option through the small business site and get my own
XP. And factor that cost into my price comparisons.
--
OJ III

Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the several
dozenth time(not exactly good language),

WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
else.

> "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
>> purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
>> That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.
>>

> And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
> commitment to the cause.
>
> We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....
>

> Stew

"Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments."

I wish you would. Besides, everyone around here knows what you're going to
say, so if you insist on posting why not just put "like usual" in the body
and leave it at that?

Ted Zieglar

> Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the
several
> dozenth time(not exactly good language),
>
> WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
> DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
> Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
> possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
> problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
> else.
>

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell
Dimension
> >> purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
> >> That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.
> >>

> > And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
> > commitment to the cause.
> >
> > We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....
> >

> > Stew

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the
> several dozenth time(not exactly good language),
>
> WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
> DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
> Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
> possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
> problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
> else.

"I love you, Irene."

Stew

> Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
>
> It appears that Dell is, as with the Overseas Tech Support, going to
> keeping "pushing" until it costs them customers(Corporate Customers, that
> is).

Whine-Whine-Whine....Say Good-Night Irene!
By the way, Dell has just started a support call center here in the U.S. in
the building right next to my work.
Appears they are moving at least some of the support back to the states.

> ZupaDupa wrote:
> > "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > built

> >>right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
> >>delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
> >>and taking them to a builder.
> >

> > Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of
parts.
> > I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are
very
> > stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in
> > nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll
cost
> > you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
> > warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.
> >
> > Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of
good
> > help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek
like
> > me to do it for you... :cool: You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
> > pizza will get you.
>
> Be sure to practice safe computing, however. :-D

i always put on a glove before i grab my big mouse... 8-()