Dell Inspirion 15, 3000 series, charging plug questions

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
This is more a question than a problem, although this thing always seems to be a problem.

Dell Inspirion 15, 3000 series, laptop. I3 5015U processor, 2.1G, Win 10 home, 64 bit, 2004 win build

After a recent rebuild, new SSD and more memory, new win 10 install, the charging port seemed loose a couple of weeks later. And it wouldn't charge over 79% I think it was. And running slow, noticeably slow. So I took it apart again, for the 147th time, epoxied the charging port in place and it's back to running well. At least for win 10. But in hours of use, the battery charge wasn't under 77%, so it doesn't seem like it would have dumbed it down because of low battery. Now this is probably the critical part of info, the charger did plug in, albeit not like it should have been since the female port was kind of floating inside. At the same time, it didn't really show it as charging either, but in hours of use it only dropped from 79% to 77%. So it was charging to some extent. Now this same machine has complained in the past about an inadequate charger, but this was the one that came with it.

Again, not a problem that needs a solution, but just wondering what's going on.

Lutfij

Titan
If you're on version 2004, you should ideally be on 20H2, in fact a new version should be rolling out pretty soon'ish.

How old is the laptop and did you replace the battery since the laptop was purchased? I would advise on replacing the charging input and perhaps the power brick since sometimes the pin inside the adapter's power output can end up being damaged.

You could also try and make sure that the laptop's BIOS is up to date.

mike the car guy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for the reply but I guess I wasn't clear. It's working ok now, but when the female jack in the laptop was loose it was kind of charging, or maybe just only running off the charger but not charging. And running slow. Now that I epoxied it in place it's running faster and charging up to 100%. So it's ok now, I'm just trying to figure out what was going on.

What doesn't make sense is if it was running off the battery it would have been much lower than it was, but on the other hand it wouldn't charge the battery. But I've had problems with aftermarket bricks not charging well.