Dell Inspiron 580, possible motherboard failure.

ChrisJCameron

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Hello,

I currently have a dell Inspiron 580, with some no-brand PSU and a Radeon 270x.
Today I bought a corsair PSU

I Installed the PSU and I didn't seem to encounter any difficulties. However upon booting up the machine now I cant even get to the BIOS and I hear a pattern of 6 beeps from the motherboard.

I looked up the manual (page 27) and it appears that 6 beeps correlates to a problem with the graphics card.

I have tried taking out the graphics card and using the on-board graphics, and tried reverting back to the old no-brand power supply. both of these resulted in 6 beeps.
I have also tried taking out the motherboard battery and retying, this appeared to work for 5-6 seconds and then the computer restarts and then 6 beeps.

I really hope the motherboard isn't fried, but I fear it is. Is there anything else I could be trying to fix this?

Could it be a possibility I received a faulty PSU?

If my motherboard is fried, is there any good recommendations for a new one? I am not knowledgeable with motherboards. I need space for 1x graphics card, 6gb ram, 2x internal hard drives and a disk drive.

Thank you very much for any/all help!

Chris J Cameron

First, have you plug 2 power connectors from PSU to motherboard?

Second. Is your Radeon 270x requires supplemental power connector like a 6 pin, if yes (provide model if unsure), have you connected to PSU?

Third. Have you tried removing your new card and try to boot?

Forth, revert everything to prior state - remove card and PSU, place old PSU back and test?

ChrisJCameron

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

Kisianik,

1) The motherboard does indeed have 2 cables plugged into it (the big one thick one and a 4 pin one)

2) The graphics card does indeed require 2 x 6 pin connectors from the PSU, have put in both from the start.

3) I have tried removing the graphics card and using the on-board graphics to boot, no success.

4) I have tried with the old PSU with and without the graphics card, no success.

Any Ideas?

Thanks very much!
Chris J Cameron

You said that when you removed battery it worked for 5-6 seconds, what do you mean?
Try to purchase a new battery, it will cost you less than $10 at RadioShack, which usually sells more than one battery in the package, hence the price. When changing the battery follow this: disconnect power cord, press and hold power button for 30 seconds, remove old battery for at least 30 minutes, once battery is removed, press and hold power button for 30 seconds again, after 30 minutes install new battery. If boot successful, do not boot into the windows, go to BIOS and reset to original, next reset day and time, then boot if working.

Right now, when trying, keep original PSU and no discrete GPU - original configuration.

ADD ON. Do you see power button light when you hear 6 beeps, is it lit in any color?

Regarding motherboard change. If you choose non Dell replacement, you will need Win OS retail, original would not work and your key would not work. If you choose Inspiron 580 motherboard, original key will work.

TRENDING THREADS