Dell Introduces Precision Laptop With 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, the amount of RAM seems too much for practical usage. I think that the CPU (despite being an extreme edition) would be fully consumed before ever reaching the RAM limit.

ares1214

Splendid
3,999$? to be honest, for what it is, thats isnt a terrible price for people who need workstation computing on the go. it doesnt have nearly the value of a desktop, but atleast it isnt priced like a MAC.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Such applications of mobile workstations with so much memory are in the oil and gas field, where they can review larger slices of the earth to find oil, enabling faster and more accurate drilling to find oil and gas reserves.
Hopefully this helps them design a better blowout prevention valve...

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Zaixionito[/nom]Ah, but you could buy 10 desktops that are more powerful in CPU and GPU performance for that price..[/citation]

What part of MOBILE WORK STATION don't you understand? you pay a premium to have that level of power and have it be transportable!

@Marco925 same unless you count the ram in mount dead laptop...

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I just got mine... battery lasts about as long as my older laptop (Precision M6300) but that's with performance stepped back from full bore. The power brick for the thing is HUGE (200W). Performance is very good. I went with the Q820 instead of the X series and 16gig instead of 32... but I did get the dual 120GB SSD (raid0) setup and the RGBLED Display (which looks great). It's a nice machine overall, my third Precision M laptop and the only complaint I've got about the series is that they're pigs (but you don't get all that performance for free... your back takes some abuse).

G

Actually, if you go to the Dell Website, the I7 Extreme version with 16GB Ram and 2 250GB solid state drives will run you over $8,000....YIKES!!!!!

manthas

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
But wait a second here - looking at the Dell web site, it looks like they don't offer any 64-bit OS choices; it's all Win7 or WinXP 32 bit. Someone needs to explain that one to me.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]victomofreality[/nom]What part of MOBILE WORK STATION don't you understand? you pay a premium to have that level of power and have it be transportable!@Marco925 same unless you count the ram in mount dead laptop...[/citation]

I think you are looking for the word "mobile" not "transportable". Desktops are transportable but not very mobile. Just being nit-picky, sorry. But yes, you pay a premium for convenience.

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Other applications may also involve CAD/CAM engineering as well as work with fluid dynamics

naaa, I'm engineer simulating fluids pressure whit a lot of conditions and works great in my lap top: Turion x2 RM72, Radeon3150, and 4bg's of DDR2, of course I prefer to simulate at my deskt top.

Way to go dell stuff you laptop full of useless ram that won't get used anyway but only in rare occasion...

this is no mainstream computer I guess.

I hope there extra cooling or it will overheat!!!

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
i work with heavy calculus on computers that do require that insane amount of RAM and i tell you, this computer is NOT portable - most of the calculus that you do with that kind of RAM take DAYS to get done and CANNOT be interrupted....

I would rather have a normal laptop with a good remote connection to a real workstation and have my calculus done there and the results sent back to me..

the only good thing about "portable" workstations is for model and results presentation for example, to a client, and that does require some RAM yes, but not this amount. its better to get excellent graphics power, good processing power and good storage!

adonn78

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Seems like a waste of unused RAM. when an SSD will give a much more noticeable performance increase. Get a good videocard faster CPUa nd SSD and get 8GB of RAM. anything more is stupid.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kalogagatya[/nom]i work with heavy calculus on computers that do require that insane amount of RAM and i tell you, this computer is NOT portable ....I would rather have a normal laptop with a good remote connection to a real workstation and have my calculus done there and the results sent back to me..[/citation]
I agree...

Just like one of my professor said: no PC is powerful enough for her, if she need to calculate something she will use the supercomputer on campus. She never need a powerful laptop. She just need a laptop can let her VPN back to the supercomputer anywhere she likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.