Question Dell optiplex 380 Mobo Upgrade

May 24, 2022
Is it possible to upgrade the motherboard of this thing? It's the desktop model and I don't wanna fry components because the PSU wasn't standard. Thanks

Details:
Upgrading from LGA 775 to a 2nd gen intel motherboard that seems like a micro ATX one I'm not sure if this psu uses standard ATX pinouts and don't wanna risk my only motherboard

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What exact motherboard are you wanting to use? If it is another Dell or OEM it is likely proprietary as well.

Best to get some standard components so you can start re-using them.

Can't say a 2nd gen is what I would go for these days. 4th gen maybe, but even 6th gen stuff with DDR4 is pretty low since Windows 11 won't support them out of the box.

May 24, 2022
What exact motherboard are you wanting to use? If it is another Dell or OEM it is likely proprietary as well.

Best to get some standard components so you can start re-using them.

Can't say a 2nd gen is what I would go for these days. 4th gen maybe, but even 6th gen stuff with DDR4 is pretty low since Windows 11 won't support them out of the box.
I'm using windows 7 to make sure that things run smoothly, I also am aware of the security risks. It's just an asus motherboard that's a Micro ATX one. But I think it's safe to get a new case. I was actually planning to make a sleeper out of it and try and shove an itx board inside of it soon

May 24, 2022
Update: upon checking voltages, the mobo power connector pinout is extremely different. I'm gunna close this thread as I also found out that the standoffs are different for the mobo that i have.

Reactions: lvt