Dell Optiplex 9020 Upgrades

AKGaming7253

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Hi I want to move my Dell Optiplex 9020 to a new case with a new PSU (moddiy adapter), a new water cooler for the CPU, and a new graphics card. Can anyone tell me if these upgrades will work with my specs.

Specs:
Core i7
Dell 9020 Mobo
Raedon R5 250
Normal PSU

Upgrades:
XFX Raedon RX 460
New PSU (not specific yet)
New water cooler (not specific yet)

If you want to suggest a budget water cooler and psu that would be helpful!

Solution
Adding water cooling won't do you any good since you can't overclock on that motherboard. If you want better cooling than the stock Intel cooler, there are good options for an air cooler in the $25 to $35 range. That being said, the stock Intel cooler is just fine when not overclocking, and there isn't much need to switch cases if you can swap the PSU in your Dell case with a standard sized unit. If you can, replace the PSU with a quality 550w unit from XFX, Seasonic, the EVGA G2 lineup, or filter through the Tier 1 or Tier 2 list. After that, you can add a GPU as you please... If you can't replace the GPU, then stick with the Dell PSU and look toward the GTX 750 Ti or GTX 950 75w GPUs. They do not require aux power and will give...
Adding water cooling won't do you any good since you can't overclock on that motherboard. If you want better cooling than the stock Intel cooler, there are good options for an air cooler in the $25 to $35 range. That being said, the stock Intel cooler is just fine when not overclocking, and there isn't much need to switch cases if you can swap the PSU in your Dell case with a standard sized unit. If you can, replace the PSU with a quality 550w unit from XFX, Seasonic, the EVGA G2 lineup, or filter through the Tier 1 or Tier 2 list. After that, you can add a GPU as you please... If you can't replace the GPU, then stick with the Dell PSU and look toward the GTX 750 Ti or GTX 950 75w GPUs. They do not require aux power and will give you good performance (the GTX 950 not far behind the RX 460).

PSU list => www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Under 75w GPUs (Dell PSU) => http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jtnG3C,YxyFf7,jzzv6h/

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
There is one problem you're going to run into. That motherboard doesn't utilize standard ATX hole spacing, what that means is it won't properly or safely mount into an aftermarket case. You may get 1 or 2 screws in, but thats about it.

Also like sadams said, water cooling is a waste of money if you cannot overclock. That CPU is LGA1150, there are many motherboards available for around $50 that should run that CPU and your memory correctly. That should be part of your upgrade path.

AKGaming7253

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

can u help me find a good mobo?

AKGaming7253

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

This is my final finished part list:
Intel Core i7 4790k
(no current selected cooler)
MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
240 GB SDD
2TB Hard Drive
XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card
Corsair Spec-01 Alpha Red/White
Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Default Optical Drive in Dell Optiplex

AKGaming7253

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Hey, i decided to go with this mobo instead... will it work? and btw i changed mobo cuz the other ones price got jacked up by $50 and i doing a Red/Black build

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7jPfrH/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xsli

although if u can find a cheaper red/black one or all black that fits the requirements that would be great cuz im over my budget

Thomas_219

Commendable
Jan 5, 2017

Unfortunately neither the GTX 750 Ti nor GTX 950 will fit in the SFF 9020 case. The low profile cards are double bay wide and there's not space. I know because, based on this suggestion, I made the purchase and had to return it.

AKGaming7253

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

mine isnt SFF