[SOLVED] Dell S2721DGF vs ASUS TUF VG27AQ

Jun 25, 2021
After months of research I'm finally between the Dell S2721DGF and the ASUS TUF VG27AQ. My job is in music production, but I will be using this monitor for FPS games, occasional graphical work and writing essays (the reason I didn't go with the Gigabyte M27Q, due to the BGR subpixel layout making text blurry).

I almost always have my lights on when using screens, so I don't know how much of an issue the poor black uniformity would actually be on the dell.

Could anyone help me out in choosing which one is best?

Solution
Looking at the RTings review for the two of them (VG27AQ/S2721DGF), the Dell monitor appears to do better in response time and has a 10-bit color panel, or at least reproduces 10-bit color better, though the contrast ratio and as you mentioned black uniformity is worse. However, the ASUS monitor does have black-frame insertion for low motion blur. Though going back to the response time, with the images they provided, I can't see myself actually caring in practice.

I'd go with the ASUS monitor though, it seems to check off more positives and I don't really see the 8-bit color panel being an issue since 10bpc not really going to be used most of the time any way on a given PC.

Also you can fix text rendering on a BGR panel...
Looking at the RTings review for the two of them (VG27AQ/S2721DGF), the Dell monitor appears to do better in response time and has a 10-bit color panel, or at least reproduces 10-bit color better, though the contrast ratio and as you mentioned black uniformity is worse. However, the ASUS monitor does have black-frame insertion for low motion blur. Though going back to the response time, with the images they provided, I can't see myself actually caring in practice.

I'd go with the ASUS monitor though, it seems to check off more positives and I don't really see the 8-bit color panel being an issue since 10bpc not really going to be used most of the time any way on a given PC.

Also you can fix text rendering on a BGR panel using some sort of ClearType tuner, like described in https://www.ghacks.net/2019/11/02/better-cleartype-tuner-configure-font-smoothing-on-windows-10/

Reactions: ambrosevh
Solution

larsv8

Distinguished
Best is subjective based on your needs. There are so many features in a monitor...Speed, refresh rate, response time, color accuracy, angle viewing...they often come at a cost of one another. You can have one, but at the cost of the other. You need start here and figure out which 3-4 features are most important to YOU.

Then once you know whats important watch specific reviews, and see how those features measure up.

This is the monitor guy I trust:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vbqyjgPpY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2cwbWbDmo

Reactions: ambrosevh
Jun 25, 2021

krells

Distinguished
After much stress and quick reaction time, I managed to get my hands on an RTX 3070! I thought that the Dell supports both AMD and NVIDIA though...or is that just me lol

Both the Dell and the Asus are freesync and certified gysnc compatible. I have the Asus and really like it. The specs on the two are really close so I guess it would depend on price.

Both the Dell and the Asus are freesync and certified gysnc compatible.
none of the specs listed for the ASUS TUF state that it is officially Freesync certified, but it is officially G-Sync Compatible.

whether enabling AMD's tech in Adrenaline will be possible is still likely though.
both Nvidia & AMD are both rather lenient when it comes to their proprietary adaptive sync tech on the latest modern displays.

Jun 25, 2021
Both the Dell and the Asus are freesync and certified gysnc compatible. I have the Asus and really like it. The specs on the two are really close so I guess it would depend on price.
I really like the look of the Asus too, but the colour accuracy does put me a off a little bit. I probably wouldn't even notice though. What's your experience with it?

I've actually been looking back into the M27Q, would it really be worth going for the dell just to keep standard RGB, especially as I can tune it with ClearType? I'd be writing essays in Google Docs using Chrome.
I don't think it's worth choosing one monitor or another just because of its sub-pixel layout, especially since you can tune text for it.

After much stress and quick reaction time, I managed to get my hands on an RTX 3070! I thought that the Dell supports both AMD and NVIDIA though...or is that just me lol
If the monitor has FreeSync, NVIDIA's GPUs can use adaptive sync regardless if they listed it in their website or not. The caveat is it may not work as well as a certified one.

Case in point, I have a FreeSync monitor that's not listed, but I can enable FreeSync and it more or less works.

I really like the look of the Asus too, but the colour accuracy does put me a off a little bit. I probably wouldn't even notice though. What's your experience with it?
Any display reviewer worth their salt should not only include a calibrated result, but also the OSD settings they used to get to it. I know RTings and TFT Central both do this. In addition TFT Central, if they reviewed the monitor, provides a color profile you can use as well.

Outside of having your own X-Rite calibration tool to verify their results, I think this is the best you can do to at least approach something resembling good color accuracy.