Dell Says This is Why You Need a Quad Core CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hah it also says that an ati 4350 is a "Premium" graphics card... fail.

isamuelson

Distinguished
This is rather old. Saw this months ago around here somewhere. Still, pretty friggin' hilarious that you need a quad-core for emailing.

Glad I upgraded to an X3 (unlocked the 4th core) so I can email now. Never knew what I was missing! [:isamuelson]

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Too bad they don't explain why you need a horrible low-quality PSU and Case that does not fit anything! Maybe then, people would look elsewhere as opposed to paying too much for a Sh%&y Dell...

Rosanjin

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
We could do that with a single core P4 machine back in the day. If you had it under your desk, it even doubled as a footwarmer!!! :D

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I was thinking "you can play Doom 3 and do a virus scan...AT THE SAME TIME" back when dual core processors were something special. Whoever wrote that ad sure isn't aiming very high.

G

this wasnt posted here be4? im sure ive seen it but oh well, the technology is amazin, i could do this 6 years ago with my pentium, and today i can do it again :D!

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
You absolutely need dual core to run the following, all at the same time:
-run dell laptop or desktop
-boot dell laptop or desktop o/s such as windows xp/vista/7
-open windows explorer
-run virus protection program
-run notepad

G

You mean all those e-mail messages and virus alerts I received while editing photos on my old single-core PCs weren't real? Gasp!

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Nice someone should tell Dell I can do all that on my new iPad as well. Oh wait I don't need virus protection.[/citation]
no, you need multi-tasking first :p

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Ha... you all cry 'FAIL' and yet considering the idiots out there that frequently walk in to the likes of PC World and want a "Good PC" for £300 including monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers, I can see the point of these ads. WE are not the target market for ads like this. Lets not forget that the more people who go out and buy PCs with Tri or Quad Cores from AMD or Intel the more stimulated the market is and the better sales are and prices come down.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Honestly, I think that's brilliant. I also think the educated members of the Tom's Hardware community can verify this. For general productivity, the average computer user is running software that is, at most, optimized for dual cores. As it stands now, all benchmarks use metrics in one program running at a time - which is highly flawed in practical terms, since multiple programs are usually all running at the same time, demanding resources from the same CPU. Quad core alleviates this greatly; I actually wouldn't mind seeing a benchmark of having Outlook, Excel, Word, a Web browser, and iTunes all running things at the same time to really gauge the power of a quad core vs. dual core cpu.

Rambling a bit now, but I think Dell's actually done something right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.