Dell Taking Wii U Preorders for $459.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Let the raping of nintendo loyalists and casual gamers begin!
Underpowered, overpriced, gimmicky hardware, CHECK!

In all seriousness, I am definitely not a buyer on day one. If the games prove to be fun and 3rd party support is good, then this may be a buy sometime next year or when the price drops.
But this thing was outdated the moment it was conceived.

Joosey Jay

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
It's going be just like the Wii. Gonna sell hard the first year then no one will pay attention to the console. Agree with the first comment as well. Over priced for old hardware.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
If the Wii was basically Gamecube 1.5 because of the minimal improvements, does that make the Wii U actually a Wii 1.5? Wouldn't that also make it a Gamecube 2? If so, it's several years late...

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]deathengine[/nom]Let the raping of nintendo loyalists and casual gamers begin! Underpowered, overpriced, gimmicky hardware, CHECK!In all seriousness, I am definitely not a buyer on day one. If the games prove to be fun and 3rd party support is good, then this may be a buy sometime next year or when the price drops. But this thing was outdated the moment it was conceived.[/citation]

its really about the exclusives, zombie u sounded fun, till i found out it a rouge like on easymode

what you have to look at is

1 - online play, if nintendo wants to be #1 world wide even without a gimick, they have to invest in makeing that aspect of the console great.

2 - how it stacks up next to other consoles, really the wii u, unless they royally screw it up, is set to be the way you play console games.

G

my god, even Apple can learn a lesson from this level of Rapage! $460!?! Does it make waffles in the morning?

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]If the Wii was basically Gamecube 1.5 because of the minimal improvements, does that make the Wii U actually a Wii 1.5? Wouldn't that also make it a Gamecube 2? If so, it's several years late...[/citation]

umm No this isa Next gen system it has 2gb of ram 1gb for the GPU that is said to be a E6760 and 1gb of ram for everything else it has a much newer but clocked slower CPU Generation then that of the 360

Ther is no way this would only be a Wii 1.5 since norre a slightly faster nor anything of the Generation of the Xbox 360 could handle what the Wii U is doing that is rendering full 1080p 60FPS on most to all 3rd party games as well as Rendering a 2nd screen @ 720p or close to the Wii U gamepad has no CPU or GPU the main console does all the work all Wireless so yea no a Wii 1.5 nore 360 based hardware could pull that off

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Joosey Jay[/nom]It's going be just like the Wii. Gonna sell hard the first year then no one will pay attention to the console. Agree with the first comment as well. Over priced for old hardware.[/citation]

it has good 3rd party support most of the launch games are from 3rd party most of the launch windows games are from 3rd party

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Joosey Jay[/nom]It's going be just like the Wii. Gonna sell hard the first year then no one will pay attention to the console. Agree with the first comment as well. Over priced for old hardware.[/citation]

umm No as of june this year the Wii sold 86.7 Million units so i would say your wrong it seems people did pay attention to it .

Wii U offers a heck of allot more then just gaming tho

here

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/nintendo-wii-u-remote-control/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO46aQU6EFg

The Wii was awesome... but no games on it for me. WiiU looks to have acceptable graphics this time out, but I really don't like the new controller, and my bet is that there will be even less games for WiiU than there were on the Wii; Especially if Nextbox and PS4 go the x86 route and leave PPC to die in the grave it belongs.

My bet is that it sells like hot cakes for a year, and then languishes through the rest of the cycle. I hope the best for them though... they have not had a home run release on hardware in a looooong time.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]The Wii was awesome... but no games on it for me. WiiU looks to have acceptable graphics this time out, but I really don't like the new controller, and my bet is that there will be even less games for WiiU than there were on the Wii; Especially if Nextbox and PS4 go the x86 route and leave PPC to die in the grave it belongs.My bet is that it sells like hot cakes for a year, and then languishes through the rest of the cycle. I hope the best for them though... they have not had a home run release on hardware in a looooong time.[/citation]

The Wii U has 50 Launch window games to be relased far more then the Wii when it was launched far more then the 360 and PS3 when they was launched but has 23 launch day games some good ones most 3rd party

as i siad above the Wii U is siad to now have an E6760 GPU from AMD that has 1gb of Ram decicated to it while the system has 1GB of ram just for itself and otehr stuff Game developers already loveing the system and have been and are doing some great thing with the Wii U gamepad that is very light wight and functional

Also Wii U has amny other things it does such as i posted above Nintendo TV

Also look at games like Zombie U and Call of duty black ops 2 in how they make use of the Wii U gamepad

G

Consumers are fools. 500 bucks plus for a console, are you kidding me??

And people gobble it up.

I guess there is no confusion as to why the price can be so high eh?

Since casting a major shadow of disappointment and frustration over our xmas holiday with the awkward and frustrating Skyward Sword, the Wii continues to sit on our tv stand collecting dust, as it does for the tens of millions of other people around the world who still somehow continue to defend it as this "great system" that somehow never gets played.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I've felt that big ass controller in my hand at Best Buy and I don't care for it too much. I suppose it could take some getting use to. I'll take a wait and see approach. I'm really curious how their network connectivity will be.

[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]If the Wii was basically Gamecube 1.5 because of the minimal improvements, does that make the Wii U actually a Wii 1.5? Wouldn't that also make it a Gamecube 2? If so, it's several years late...[/citation]
I think the math would more accurately be Gamecube 2.25. Stuff like that is multiplicative, not additive...

:p

Who still has a N64 running? A GC running? A Wii running?

Who has a fat gen1 PS3 running at home?

Who has a 360 gen1 running at their homes?

I don't know about you, but you all can talk sh1t about Nintendo while they're hassle free with what they give and having the most reliable systems for decades. Also, their first party games ARE worthy of the console by themselves. If you guys are too "hip and cool hardcore gamers" to enjoy Mario Party or Smash Bros, get off our Nintendo lawn.

Cheers!

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have a N64 in a box. GC in a box. They still work. Gave the Wii to ex because I wasn't using it. I have a fat Gen 1 PS3 still. I only use it for a blu-ray. If I actually gamed on it, I wonder if it would have broke down like my PS1 and PS2 - Both gen 1s. Remember the trick to flipping the PS1 upside down to get it to work. Not sure why my PS2 stopped reading discs. I didn't play it much. Also, I take really good care of my stuff. Don't play them on the ground where they can suck up dust. Keep them in a cabinet when not in use. I still have the original Xbox. Gave it to GF to watch movies and do DDR. I did have problems with my Gen 1 360. RRoD. Thankfully MS was good enough to extend their warranty and get it replaced. Currently I play on PC and 360.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]umm No as of june this year the Wii sold 86.7 Million units so i would say your wrong it seems people did pay attention to it .Wii U offers a heck of allot more then just gaming tho here http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12 [...] e-control/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO46aQU6EFg[/citation]

And yet Nintendo is losing money.

Doesn't matter how many consoles you sell if no one buys the games.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]umm No this isa Next gen system it has 2gb of ram 1gb for the GPU that is said to be a E6760 and 1gb of ram for everything else it has a much newer but clocked slower CPU Generation then that of the 360 Ther is no way this would only be a Wii 1.5 since norre a slightly faster nor anything of the Generation of the Xbox 360 could handle what the Wii U is doing that is rendering full 1080p 60FPS on most to all 3rd party games as well as Rendering a 2nd screen @ 720p or close to the Wii U gamepad has no CPU or GPU the main console does all the work all Wireless so yea no a Wii 1.5 nore 360 based hardware could pull that off[/citation]

The Wii was also a "next-gen" system. Being roughly on par with the PS3 and Xbox 360 is not next-gen.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
They did make it backward compatible with the Wii and the old Wii peripherals which is a good but it seems expensive considering how much they make a killing off the games.

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]The Wii was awesome... but no games on it for me. WiiU looks to have acceptable graphics this time out, but I really don't like the new controller, and my bet is that there will be even less games for WiiU than there were on the Wii; Especially if Nextbox and PS4 go the x86 route and leave PPC to die in the grave it belongs.My bet is that it sells like hot cakes for a year, and then languishes through the rest of the cycle. I hope the best for them though... they have not had a home run release on hardware in a looooong time.[/citation]

You don't like the new controller that you've never used before. Good one.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]nbelote[/nom]The Wii was also a "next-gen" system. Being roughly on par with the PS3 and Xbox 360 is not next-gen.[/citation]

The Wii U has hardware far more robust then the 360 and PS3 there is no way the PS3 and 360 could render to 2 different screens at the same time with 2 separate instances of stuff happening ( Wii U Gamepad has no GPU or CPU)

sure some of the games may not be Bam pow Wiz right off the bat but Nore was some of the first PS3 or 360 games

if you look at games tho like Batman AC for the Wii U it is far more depth and detial on graphics then the PS360 systems just as one game example of a Port having been much more then the orginal

Status
Not open for further replies.