Dell Tries to Help Customers with Misleading GPU Info

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Its misleading and kinda effective against people who have low end hardware and use old integrated graphics motherboards with big screens. Vga dosent clearly display a picture at high resolutions, there is blurring and idk artifacts (i had this problem) but most modern graphics cards have dvi or hdmi which doesent suffer from the problem.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
I think it's reflection on the whole "mislead the customer" politics. If they can sell the same price with lower specs, they do. If they can't, they try to sell you unneeded higher specs. It starts from the top, and goes all the way to the technical people that advise the customers on what to get.
This friend of mine was trying to buy a gaming PC for a specific game. I managed to convince her to not buy a laptop. She already had 2 laptops, for her mobility needs, and was going to get a 3rd one, for the game.. this is the level of people that Dell and almost everybody out there is trying to grab the wallet of.
So, my friend got i7 2600k and 8 GB of RAM under my suggestion. The graphics card, though, I told her for the game it was not needed to get a top end graphics card, like 6990.. she could do with something lower, like 6870 or the equivalent nvidia alternative. And the sales person managed to convince her that the equivalent or even better nvidia equivalent of what I suggested was GT 530, and was playing on the graphics memory part of the speech to confuse the customer.
I sigh-ed when I learned on what she got. But still, the customer was very happy with the result, way better than a more expensive laptop of the same technological age. At least she knows that she can change the graphics card if needed in the future. Still, if I had not pointed out how the 530 was so bad for what she could have gotten instead, she would have never noticed it. And that's how Dell works. Face to face lie.

devinsmit

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Hey, this is just the tip of the iceberg...it gets much, much worse.[/citation]

of course it can get much worse, try buying a laptop from best buy's brick and mortar stores. Or better yet, don't. They will try to upsell you on more than you need or will use or should possibly want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS