[SOLVED] Dell vostro 200 does not power on

Jun 20, 2019
I'm stumped with this pc. When I press the power button, it does nothing and does not light up in the front. I have already replaced the mobo with a new one, and still nothing, but the amber led lights up on it. I have a power supply tester that showed the psu to be good as far as I know and here are the results just to be sure.

+5v: 5.2
+12v1: 12.3
+3.3v: 3.5
-12v: 12.6
+12v2: 12.3
5vsb: 4.9
Pg: 170 ms

There are three leds in the tester as well for +3.3, +12, +5 and all of them were lit up green.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Most PSU 'testers' merely turn on the PSU and read it's outputs under a zero load condition....(which is not really a 'tester' at all...)

You need a known good PSU before branching outward... (often, a dead BIOS battery can really screw things up as well...; borrow one to rule that out)

When swapping a PSU, if modular, do not use old modular cables with new PSU, the pinouts are usually different leading to unknowing souls burning up assorted components at first power on attempt...
Most PSU 'testers' merely turn on the PSU and read it's outputs under a zero load condition....(which is not really a 'tester' at all...)

You need a known good PSU before branching outward... (often, a dead BIOS battery can really screw things up as well...; borrow one to rule that out)

When swapping a PSU, if modular, do not use old modular cables with new PSU, the pinouts are usually different leading to unknowing souls burning up assorted components at first power on attempt...

Solution
Jun 20, 2019

I ruled out the BIOS battery, then I ordered a new psu because I don't have a spare one and maybe that will work. Once I get the psu, which isn't modular, then I'll post back here if it works or not.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Jun 20, 2019

Thanks for the help, the new psu did the job.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX