Dell Warned Ballmer Not To Use Windows RT Branding

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Sorry, but all I can say to MS is - Bwahhahahhahahahahahaahahahhaa!!!!

(All of us Alpha and Beta testers told you this YEARS ago too - along with the MetroUI crap)

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Metro is garbage. If we wanted to be force fed DRM we would be using Apple computers.[/citation]
they should just patch metro as sub feature like windows media center......

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]they should just patch metro as sub feature like windows media center......[/citation]
yes yes yes yes yes, ive been saying this all along!

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'll get crappy Windows 8 if I can find a retail copy for under $45. That way, if I can mod it, then I'll have a cheap Windows 7 substitute, and if I hate it, I'm not out a lot of money.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have been trying to run older PC games in Windows 8 desktop mode. There is this alternative "on-screen keyboard" that Microsoft has included, that actually runs better than the iPad-like on screen keyboard as far as gaming is concerned. This keyboard seems to work even in full screen mode when gaming. It also has numeric keypad which some games require as input. Still, I hope it has been better, like able to dock the keyboard to left or right instead of just top and bottom, or other annoyances. Hopefully somebody can make a better mod or Microsoft can see how this is being used and improve upon it.

The "on-screen keyboard" is part of user accessibility feature which can be launched by searching "osk" using the search option. Or launch it from user accessibility.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]they should just patch metro as sub feature like windows media center......[/citation]

agree completely.

Couldn't agree more. Just let us tweak how it behaves to fit how we use our PC. For me I would prefer if Metro came up as a window on the desktop since I'm on the desktop 99% of the time. That would allow me to use Metro when I wanted which in some cases to launch a program it can be useful I just hate jumping out and back in so to speak. Im sure others feel different just let us tweak how it works to fit how we use or computer not the other way around.

mstngs351

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
So to summarize, people are lazy and can't be bothered to spend 5 minutes learning about a $400-500 device before throwing their money at someone. Fools and their money are soon parted.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
This is one aspect of MS that has alwasy drivin me nuts! It's almost like they want a closed system but are to afraid to shut out their vendors. This Hybrid closed system is going to ruin MS and will leave us with Apple or Linux... Linux here I come!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Sorry, but all I can say to MS is - Bwahhahahhahahahahahaahahahhaa!!!!(All of us Alpha and Beta testers told you this YEARS ago too - along with the MetroUI crap)[/citation]

It's not the Metro UI that Clarke was raising concerns with Microsoft over. Nor is it the Metro UI that customers are returning their surface RT. it's the fragmentation of windows 8 devices between ARM and x86/64 that is the problem.

I agree Metro is not compelling for a regular desktop or laptop user to upgrade their OS.

It makes perfect sense on touch based devices. The RT and PRO is a complete debacle and this most people knowing markets and computers could predict would fail.

Surface RT failed on 2 levels pricing and different version from x86/64 not Metro

I have to agree with both Dell and Microsoft on this. Yes it is confusing, but yes, they had to do it. The OS behaves exactly like Windows and is a huge marketing icon. Dell is right that it is confusing, and also right that even if it had been named Microsoft Doors, people would still think it'll work, as when they look at it, it still looks like Windows.

dgingeri

Distinguished
It's just confusing to the stupid people. Those of us with average intelligence and above don't have a problem with it. Microsoft is better off without those types of people being customers.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It's just confusing to the stupid people. Those of us with average intelligence and above don't have a problem with it. Microsoft is better off without those types of people being customers.Your a %^&%* Moron.[/citation]

For a company trying to be "hip" like Apple, they should expect these types of customers and cater to them. This whole Metro GUI Windows 8 campaign is marketed towards Apple type users anyways. No one with brains will switch from Win7 to 8. There's no reason, unless you really do find Metro + touchscreen appealing.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
so dell agrees that the windows branding would be used on phones, but not tablets

I don't see any consumers buying windows phones thinking they would run x86 windows programs

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I'll get crappy Windows 8 if I can find a retail copy for under $45. That way, if I can mod it, then I'll have a cheap Windows 7 substitute, and if I hate it, I'm not out a lot of money.[/citation]

I have two PCs. The newer one is running Win7 Ultimate, and I saw no reason to change. The old one was still on XP, with 2GB memory, so the $40 upgrade to Win8 Pro x64 so I can install more than 4GB, plus a win7-like desktop was worth it.

What Microsoft has done a terrible job explaining is that all the edges and corners of the desktop now can do stuff. This works really well with a touch screen, but is still handy even with a mouse, once you learn how it works. I followed online instructions to make a replacement start button, and learned if you put the Desktop tile on the Start screen on the top left, then "enter" will take you back to it. With tweaks like that, it's really not very different than Windows 7 with a few changes and improvements.

lindethier

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I agree that it is confusing to the average consumer, one that isn't even aware of what is inside their favorite gadgets they use on a daily basis.

That's the problem for Microsoft though, because that is who they seem to be aiming for with Windows tablets, the mainstream consumer. Regular consumers are going to think they can run any old Windows program on it.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I'll get crappy Windows 8 if I can find a retail copy for under $45. That way, if I can mod it, then I'll have a cheap Windows 7 substitute, and if I hate it, I'm not out a lot of money.[/citation]

Get the upgrade for 39.99. It lets you burn a CD or create a boot USB. You can install a fresh install of Windows 8 with it. All you have to do is change a registry value and it activates like an OEM copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.