Review Dell XPS 13 Plus (2023) Review: Modern Glory, Fleeting Battery Life

NeoMorpheus

Reputable
Jun 8, 2021
I swear Dell is getting paid to not put AMD in their best product lines.

Only the crappy AMD only product line is allowed, but the premium lines, nope, Intel only.
I cant find the link where they were found guilty, but yes, that has not changed, incredible.

Reactions: ikjadoon

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
My next laptop is from Framework. No reason to go with Dell or any of these greedy brands. Even Lenovo is slowly becoming as bad. All I'm asking is to have a sturdy casing, good cooling heatsink, quality fan, easy access to CMOS battery, M.2 slots, Wi-Fi card, fan/heatsink, and RAM, and easy access to do maintenance and parts replacement in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrusfox

Greg7579

Prominent
Jun 11, 2022
Nice job on the review. But like on all reviews of the XPS 13 and 15s the past 3 years, I strongly disagree that 2 or 3 TB 4 (and USB4 capable) ports are somehow not enough. That is amazing and also the very fastest connectivity. I would rather have one TB4 port than any number of USB A ports. Two TB 4 ports is amazing capability - very powerful....
There should be a total of zero USB A ports on a thin laptop that size in 2023.
Besides, as you know, USB A is soon to be a thing of the past and can be handled quite well by the two USB C ports which are TB4 / USB 4 capable.
But, that said, good job on the review and very well written.
I have a 13 and 15 and will be updating to a new XPS 15 or 17 when Meteor Lake hits later this year. I think waiting for that upcoming generational change is the sensible thing to do. That will be a big change - a new socket and chipset and the first Intel 4 (7nm) compute tile along with TSMC-manufactured GPU (5nm) and SoC (6nm) tiles using Foveros 3D technology, as reported in Tom's so recently....

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Dell would've been far better had they just stuck with a 15W U-series + OLED. Dell is selling AMD and Apple designs because of how hot & how short-lived their Intel 28W P-series laptops are.

Following in lock-step to Intel's irrational power addiction is never going to work out well: 15W or 35W are reasonable sides of the spectrum. Making a peculiar 28W middle of the pack range reeks of "we need to beat AMD & Apple on multi-core benchmarks".

6 hours in 2023 from an "ultraportable laptop" is not something I'd ever pay for; the OLED-equipped ASUS did much better, as did the 15W + IPS Dell XPS 13 9315.

Apr 25, 2023
Why is the Dell doing this absolutely insane touch bar thing and nobody complaining? Holy crap. I tried that thing in the store on a display model and I would never use one unless it was free AND Dell was paying me every day to use it. It's completely awful. I understand that they somehow think nobody uses Esc or F-keys but why WHY WHY make this not even configurable touch bar? What is the logic here? What's wrong with just keeping them as normal keys?? The rest of the laptop isn't terrible but this alone is what stopped me from even considering this few years ago when it first landed.

Also what's with recent trend of placing power button inside the keyboard??? how often do you press it? what about power on while closed/docked? And they usually remove some useful key to do it, like INS (HP) or printscreen etc. Please stop this nonsense..

NinoPino

Commendable
May 26, 2022
I'm annoyed seeing so many reviews of laptops with intel CPUs when AMD is a lot better on perf x watt front from so much time.
Imho, IT press should ignore this type of laptops till intel give us a decent cpu.

Reactions: NeoMorpheus