[SOLVED] Dell XPS 8910 - "Back Panel" HDMI and USB Ports Stopped Working (Help Please, need to know what part(s) to replace) :-)

Nov 5, 2019
Dell™ XPS 8910 Desktop PC,
Intel® Core™ i7,
16GB Memory, Upgraded to 32gb
1TB Hard Drive,
Windows® 10

Good evening all, I hope I placed this in the correct forum, if not - PLEASE feel free to move it to the correct place, I won't be offended :)

The past 24 hours or so, (using this image for reference)

GUID-C4D6A630-14E3-43B7-A4C8-E23A4ED7726C-low.jpg

My USB port (#6 only), and now my HDMI Port (#4) stopped working.

I don't care so much about the USB port, but with the HDMI Port down it makes it a bit tricky to run my dual-monitor set up which I use for work.

I tested MULTIPLE cables on the HDMI, and came to the conclusion that the hardware is the issue.

My question is - what exactly do I need to replace on this set up? It's not the graphic ard, not the mother board...I don't think?

Thank you VERY much in advance

Jeff

Last edited:
Solution
If it happens again, you can re-install your drivers, it may be that windows has done something or there may have been an update. You can get drivers here, look for the asmedia usb 3.1 or so.

Often enough it ends up being the drivers, but sometimes it will be an actual failing chipset, which could mean motherboard failure.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Seems like it is using this spesific motherboard. As you can see from the picture, the ports are on the left side of the motherboard.

Did you try opening the case to check if the faulty ports look ok from the inside?

th

Nov 5, 2019
Thanks - not really sure WHAT to look for (if they look good or not) - BUT the 3.1 USB is working this morning, which means i have my dual setupback, which is what i care about.

The PC is 2 years old now, so out of warranty - worse case, i'll be doing a motherboard swap in the near future if this happens again.

Good for now, fortunately, TY again

Jeff

If it happens again, you can re-install your drivers, it may be that windows has done something or there may have been an update. You can get drivers here, look for the asmedia usb 3.1 or so.

Often enough it ends up being the drivers, but sometimes it will be an actual failing chipset, which could mean motherboard failure.

Solution
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks all - so the HDMI port is working fine now - the USB port still isn't, but I'd rather not replace the entire motherboard just for one usb - only had this 2 years, i'll just live without the one port (First world problems, right?) :)

Thanks again all

Jeff

Reactions: Spaceghaze