Dell's New Look Logo That You May Never Notice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
First thought was 'it looks like Intel'.
Second thought was 'it looks like they've gone back in time'.

I hope Apple had nothing to do with this.

G

The Dell logo is so ugly. I've got some fantastic Dell monitors - I wish I could take the logo off ... hmmm, maybe I should try.

peu123

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
wow! and I guess they had a marketing study done, MBA's running around with excel sheets and the whole thing has cost a few million just to decide, yeah!

Titanius

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Slow news day, heh Marcus?

Although it is nice to recognize that a company made a new logo and probably spent a good amount of cash to do it, this is just not that newsworthy. Something that would have been newsworthy would have been a radical change to the logo, a la GAP...

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
ruffopurititiwang 12/13/2010 5:38 AM
The "E" is slowly evolving to become a "W"

LOL yes! its going to go from DELL to DWLL! and they might add another E to that and switch it to DWELL!

Instead I think they should go from DELL to....HELL!!! dun dun dun!!!

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]I can't help but think of Dell as a producer of ugly, low-spec family PCs rather than something I'd actually consider buying, even though that's not really the case anymore with the XPS line. They should consider revamping their entire brand image as well as just the logo - and more dramatically than this.[/citation]
They make some rather respectable server products.

G

and here i was reading the tittle thinking yes eventually, Dell has changed their logo into something that you would not stand out on your electronic gear........ curses

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Emperus[/nom]The blue and white color scheming looks kindda Intel.. Wonder where is the creativity.?[/citation]
because intel pay 6 million to dell for not using AMD chips

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]ntrceptr[/nom]Last Dell I had to fix had a 160w power supply. I think that says enough.[/citation]

Says to me SFF box with a low power CPU. For that application, there's no particular need to go higher. Their engineers aren't incompetent, just not designing for the Tom's audience (and honestly, no big OEM is). They're also not designing in headroom for upgrades (I'd guess 90% of their customers will never upgrade). The stuff that isn't produced to the spec of 'cheapest tower that won't embarrass us' is actually pretty decent (but we can do better).

I certainly have more trust in Dell's products than I do in HP's.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Sunday? Yes, you're right. I shouldn't bother putting up any new content on weekends.[/citation]

Sorry, but sometimes the best action is no action at all. This article proves that....or that you have too much time on your hands. LOL

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The fact that they increased the height of the "tilted" letter E shows that they do not even understand their own logo. The E is not only rotated 45 degrees counterclockwise, but tilted backwards away from the observer. This is why, if you simply rotate the "E" upright, it still does not look normal, but is somewhat slanted like an italic font. If you tilt the letter forward or backwards you get the final effect of the slant. However, the secondary effect of tilting the letter forward or backwards is that the letter will appear shorter and thus there is no need to increase the height of the letter, which you might need to do if it were a simple 2 dimensional rotation as opposed the the rotation in combination with the tilt. I can see that this is what the original designer intended, but he/she was not consulted in this redesign. Thus the new logo loses the consistency of the original design, and in my opinion is now broken.

Oh, yeah and I agree it was and still is ugly.

flybri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]ntrceptr[/nom]Last Dell I had to fix had a 160w power supply. I think that says enough.[/citation]

Don't even get me started. I had a laptop that was nothing but trouble, and at one point they refused support and service, even though I was still under warranty! Even more crap went on after that which I won't get into, and I ended up having to take them to small claims court.

Even after that I postponed and dropped the case to give them the chance to do right by me, and they didn't (surprise!). Needless to say I'm bringing the case back to court again.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I like the black one better too.

As for the company itself, my employer uses Dell exclusively for servers, desktops and laptops. The products and services have been top-notch, and it has been that way for years. Perhaps corporate customers are treated differently than consumers, though colleagues whom I referred to Dell have been happy too.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I'm pretty sure the graphics designer that did this can talk for hours about the changes he did, and what they mean. As long as they don't make it engraved on the back of laptops (like compaq did... hated it!) the logo does not bother me much.

Status
Not open for further replies.