Dell's Streak MID Disassembled and Photographed

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Bigger is not always better ... when it comes to phones. And this is a perfect example of why. It's ridiculously huge. Hell, the EVO is too big to be a comfortable pocket phone.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Looking at those images it looks like the layout is "relaxed" (my ignorant opinion of course) Is this because they have the space to work on their side or because they did not perfected the design from the beginning? Is this why Dell did not offered a smaller device, I don't know. What I can't understand is why they did not come with a bigger screen option too. Of course we all have our preferences and I would like the screen to be a bit smaller with the case practically borderless including well designed slim buttons at the side-front.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]simplec1[/nom]It's a shame that Dell did the same as apple and put this on AT&T's network[/citation]

AT&T works the same as any other network around where I live. Verizon is just puffing smoke. I use AT&T and while I don't like the company a whole lot, it does the same job as any of the others (T-Mobile, Verizon, and whatever other ghetto brands are still out there)

jeraldjunkmail

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
[citation][nom]simplec1[/nom]It's a shame that Dell did the same as apple and put this on AT&T's network[/citation]
The difference is that I have my doubts as to whether or not ATTs network actually sucks or has it been the fault of 4 generations of crappy Apple antennas?

Anyone have a smartphone that isn't Apple and is on ATT? I'd like to know what you think?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
In all technicality it is a phone, but I would see more uses for it as a MID or 'tablet like' functions because it has the larger screen. Where as it looses some of the portability we've come to appreciate from our smartphones. To me it seems like it will be an awkward duckling in the mix of mobile devices.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I'll buy it if it had a Cedar View (Atom) and can install any x86 OS. Or at least ARM based open Linux. Like a real PC, only smaller.
But this looks like just a big phone.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
It's basically a tablet computer that you can also use to make calls. For some, it's probably the perfect compromise. For others, it's just awkward to use as either a phone or a computer.

Personally I find the 3.7" size perfect. Big enough to comfortably browse the web in landscape mode, small enough that you can hold it to your head without looking like an idiot.

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]Personally I find the 3.7" size perfect. Big enough to comfortably browse the web in landscape mode, small enough that you can hold it to your head without looking like an idiot.[/citation]
Holding a phone to your ear to talk is so 20th century. Get with the times buddy and get a Bluetooth earpiece. Best invention for the phone. My phone stays in my pocket when I talk. Just don't buy a cheap one.

jagsforever

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]The difference is that I have my doubts as to whether or not ATTs network actually sucks or has it been the fault of 4 generations of crappy Apple antennas?Anyone have a smartphone that isn't Apple and is on ATT? I'd like to know what you think?[/citation]

I have had a Nokia e71, Blackberry Bold, and Nokia e72, as well as an iPhone 3g on the AT&T network. The Nokia's were by far the best in terms of maintaining a signal, Blackberry second, and the iPhone so bad that I had to return it twice in one month before I decided to get rid of it.

mikie tim t

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Not everyone puts smartphones in their pockets. I have a belt holster for my old and crusty one, and I'd bet it hasn't seen the inside of a pocket half a dozen times in its existence. With a holster and a bluetooth earpiece, this wouldn't work any different than any other smartphone for calls. But it would be better for data and media consumption, however due to the screen size.

G

to all those who think 5" is kind of awkward, this is a preemptive attack on apple's planned iPad mini which will be around the same size

you gotta love the modularity of the damn thing though, @jecastej this level of modularity allows for a future upgrade path for dell, leaving extra spaces allows them to accommodate new IC boards without the need to redesign the whole device, this reminds me of a teardown i done on a Motorola rizr, didn't think much of the phone but i loved how they used connectors that were easy to pop of and plugin again with worrying about tearing the plastic ribbons to pieces, good times.....

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]Bigger is not always better ... when it comes to phones. And this is a perfect example of why. It's ridiculously huge. Hell, the EVO is too big to be a comfortable pocket phone.[/citation]
I use my friends EVO and I LOVE it, I'm a big guy, all the tiny phones just feel as if they will break if I hold them too tightly. The EVO feels much better to me and about the right size, I have a feeling this one would be perfect for me, it def won't be completely covered in my hands when I talk and won't feel like I can crush it if I close my hand. If it were on Sprint I would be getting the Streak, but Dell decided to go AT&T :/

70camaross396

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]The difference is that I have my doubts as to whether or not ATTs network actually sucks or has it been the fault of 4 generations of crappy Apple antennas?Anyone have a smartphone that isn't Apple and is on ATT? I'd like to know what you think?[/citation]

The truth about ATT network is that it depends on where you live and how many Idoits with Iphones are in your area. I have a Samsung Black Jack II (yes its old, and yes it has the crappy winmobile 6.1). It works great in where I live, but if I have to go to San Fancisco, or LA, it runs like crap. I think ATT data backbone is not big enough to support all the user they have in some cities. I had a Verizon phone wiht my last job, the coverage was good, but the speed was not as fast as ATT, the wourst part was that thier customer service sucks. I love Sprint/Nextels customer service, but thier coverage in my area is really bad. ATT is not the best at anything, but they seem to be the "Average Company" thier coverage is average, thier speed is average, thier customer service is average. there are other that have better coverage or better customer service, but overall I find ATT seams to work best for me.

I really like the Dell Streak. its a little wider and a little longer than my Black Jack II. but ever it is thinner, so fitting it in your pocket is not as bad as i thought it would be. my only complaint is that it is only running Android 1.6. if they offered a upgrade to 2.1 or 2.2. I would be all over it.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009

My only real complaint is not that it's on AT&T network, it's more like it's the only network that it's being offered or sold on. I personally have no love for AT&T because of my experience with them long before the iphone arrived. But those who like AT&T enjoy!

the_wolf88

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
OMG !!

I have HTC HD2 and I feel it huge in my hand with 4.3 inches display ! And Gigantic to carry in your hand this is 5.0 inches !!

G

I loved the size, but the screen broke the 1st time i dropped it. I guess it was a combination of the weight and a fragile screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS