Dell's Thumb-Size 'Ophelia' PC Ships in July

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Or you could buy any of the non dell branded android pc usb sticks which I imagine came out of the same factory and have been around for nearly a year. For 50-60 bucks you can buy a android machine capable of replacing your HTPC or for 80 you can buy one that will outperform a entry level laptop from a few years ago ... they are outstanding.
a blistering array available here
http://www.geekbuying.com/category/Computer-Components-933/
One of the best available from these guys because they keep updating their software and its rock solid as a result ( i have the apple tv sized X5) http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/AndroidNEODevices.htm

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
This basically has the same specs as the Mk808B or any of the gaggle of Android mini-pc sticks that are all over AliExpress (and other, higher priced sites like Geekbuying). Sure, if you just want the hardware then go for it (I have one and they are pretty handy). But what Dell is adding to the picture is the software.
"Project Ophelia securely connects to Windows desktops and applications running on back-end systems from all leading infrastructure providers including Citrix, Microsoft and VMware."
That is not something a cheap chinastick can offer, and with the right apps behind it could make it pretty darn powerful. This is basically the final miniaturization of thin-client workstations (yes, they still sell a TON of those).

Spyker2041

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
Are there any other products like this that run linux? If not do you reckon you will be able to install linux on this?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006

Most of the android mini-pc sticks can technically run linux but require a great deal of work to do anything beyond just getting it to boot. So, you would be better off with something like a Beagleboard, Raspberry Pi, or other of the multitude of low power products that have linux communities already. Like I said in my post above, hardware these days is just an inexpensive cobble of chips and solder: a 4-core CPU, 4-core GPU computer can be had for around $50 USD; the presence of good software is what makes it worth actually buying and using (at perhaps a higher price). There is only so much entertainment value in running android and watching bluray rips.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
There are several stable nix distro's that will run great on an MK808 type device , and any of the cheap china sticks can , already
" Securely connect to Windows desktops and applications running on back-end systems from all leading infrastructure providers including Citrix, Microsoft and VMware."

its the SAME hardware china have been churning out for decades , but with the open licence model of android they finally have free and good quality software to run on their OEM hardware. the client software will be the same , i already run a VPN and secure desktop to my main device from my workshop , and fyi almost any android devices can already run this

Https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.citrix.Receiver&hl=en

or if your virtualisation flavor is this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vmware.view.client.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS52bXdhcmUudmlldy5jbGllbnQuYW5kcm9pZCJd

Dell are just re-selling there will be next to nothing new about this device its bandwagon jumping at its finest what it is doing it making them viable for SME level business who source in bulk from dell ultra low cost skinny clients to connect to jump off boxes. with big name brand and big brand support , why buy the better unknown original when you can buy the brand name for twice the price .

g-unit1111

Titan

Better support? Hardly. Most of the major brands offer crap when it comes to technical support. The IT guy at my firm used to work for Acer and he's got some horror stories, believe me.

Compared to some company in china that sells 100K of them, then shuts down to avoid warranty/support issues?

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks for the info. Reading this article I kept thinking. Why buy a USB stick - can't I do this with my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.