Deskpro 4000 P6 233MMX.

The above machine is doing stirling service as a Linux backup system
with samba. Memory is 128MB. It has two disks - the original 3.2GB and
a 40GB plus a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

The system is flashed with the latest bios.

What are the limits on this machine both in memory nad disks? I tried
the 40GB in the primary/master position and got all sorts of whinges
about not seeing a disk etc etc. The 40GB is fine in the
secondary/slave position. So what are the max sizes I can put in this
thing?

With the typical Intel 430-series chipsets used by Compaq in Socket 7 MMX
systems, the memory limit is the current 128MB. It is interesting and almost a
little surprising that the 40GB hard drive works at all, because typical late
Socket 7 systems have a BIOS hard drive limit of 8.4GB. The 40GB drive works
properly because Linux is designed to use it the right way even though BIOS
capacity limits are exceeded. Unfortunately, Windows is not so tolerant.

.... Ben Myers

On 10 May 2005 03:38:36 -0700, "Leigh" <LGBowden@bowdenfamily.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

>The above machine is doing stirling service as a Linux backup system
>with samba. Memory is 128MB. It has two disks - the original 3.2GB and
>a 40GB plus a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.
>
>The system is flashed with the latest bios.
>
>What are the limits on this machine both in memory nad disks? I tried
>the 40GB in the primary/master position and got all sorts of whinges
>about not seeing a disk etc etc. The 40GB is fine in the
>secondary/slave position. So what are the max sizes I can put in this
>thing?

Thanks for the help.

I only use it really as a repository/backup/server for a XP Pro laptop
and the kids XP Home system. So having the biggish disk was vital. With
the advent of a digital camera an even bigger disk might be needed so
was wondering if there were other limits like the 137GB one. It does
have a SCSI card as well (Adaptec 2904) so expansion along that route
might be possible but expensive. Although a second hand tape drive
might do it. That said a USB2 card and external disks like that might
make more sense and cheaper.

I've read, subsequently, other articles which imply 384MB or 512MB is
the RAM limit so was more wondering if these limits in the publications
are limits that might be 384 is the limit because there are only 128MB
SIMMS at the moment and time has overtaken realities and BIOSes have
been upgraded.

I noticed some dip switches that affect speed. Is overclocking one of
these a matter of reselecting the switches - albeit carefully? Samba is
surprisingly quick from the Windows viewpoint and Mozilla is OK (at
233MHz) but as soon as too much happens it does tend to grind. That
said it does get there - eventually.

Exactly. It's a full sized desktop box so has lots of room. Any
"expansion" I'd like to be items that could transfer to another system
i.e. cards, disks etc when this one caves in.

It's been a good reliable system though. Eight years old and still
going with it's original disk. Rarely turn it off that which helps.

I misread the P6 233MMX. The system would then be a Slot 1 rather than a Socket
7, right? If so, faster CPUs are possible up to a limit, either 300 or 333MHz
without modification. If the system has an Intel 440LX chipset like most early
Compaq Slot 1 systems, the memory limit is, in fact, 384MB with 3 DIMM sockets
or 512MB with 4 DIMM sockets. Memory would need to be low-density non-parity
168-pin DIMMs. Whether EDO or SDRAM, I do not know, because I do not have
detailed specs for the beastie.

Linux is extremely economical in its use of resources compared to Windows
bloatware, so I'm not surprised that the box would run pretty responsively as it
is. If surplus computers are as cheap and easy over there as they are here in
the U.S., a replacement may prove to be more cost-effective than spending money
to upgrade this one... Ben Myers