Desktop computer compare

gangsterberzs

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
Hello everyone! So I cannot make up my mind should I swap my system with my brothers one or keep mine system. So here are both system specs:

My PC:
AMD X4 860K 3,7 GHz
Gtx 1050ti
12 GB of ram
PSU: SL-500 (thinking of upgrading)

My brother's pc:
Intel Xeon W3520
gtx 950
8 GB of ram
Stock z400 PSU ( i understood)
yes he has a hp z400 workstation

So basically I thought of putting my GPU in his pc and taking his GPU putting it into my pc basically I get his CPU with my GPU and he gets my CPU with his old GPU now he's only using it for gaming but mostly for just watching youtube videos and I use my pc for heavy gaming now the main reason I wanna swap cause my computer runs games horrible I get 30 fps on GTA 5 in the city which is horrible on the other hand he gets almost 60 fps in the city and 100 fps in the desert with a gtx 950 like how is that possible now i created a thread asking about why is my pc performing so badly and I came to the conclusion that my PSU is bad and my ram is bad because I ordered it off eBay for really cheap now im only 14 so I can't afford expensive upgrades so what do you guys say should I make the switch or should I save up and buy my pc a PSU and new quality ram?

g-unit1111

Titan
Your PC is definitely better than the workstation. That Xeon is quite a bit old now. I would definitely replace with a new PSU (Seasonic / higher end EVGA / higher end Corsair, etc) and quality RAM ASAP though if you want to do any serious upgrading for the future.

Just keep what you have. I wouldn't disagree with a higher quality (not higher wattage) PSU, but your current system draws so little power anyway (~170W?), the existing one is fine.

Your GTX1050Ti is better than a GTX950 by a fair margin. That does sound odd that his system is performing better than yours. GTA5 is more CPU-bound than some games but the W3520 has a much lower clockspeed (albeit 2x more threads). Is this online gameplay or singleplayer/offline? It's best to do comparisons using offline gameplay since that takes away a lot of variables. Also, are quality settings and monitor resolution for sure the same on both systems?

RAM is RAM. You didn't mention the speed of each respective kit, but that shouldn't make a night/day difference. If it's working it's fine, if it's faulty, you'd be having system crashes (BSODs). How is your 12GB of RAM slotted in your mobo? Is it 2x4+2x2 or 1x8+1x4 or?

gangsterberzs

Reputable
Dec 5, 2017
well first of all actually i had a 8 GB stick from silicon power already in my pc so when the time came I decided to search for the same stick so I could have 16 GB but I didn't find it anywhere I could've ordered it from Amazon but I live in a country where stuff doesn't ship from America often and at the time I was broke so I found a same exact spec 8 GB ram stick on eBay some Chinese one so I ordered it but when it came I obviously was excited but when I put it in my system it turned out to be only registering only half of the GB that it should've had so I was left with only 12 GB of ram but it was only 30 euros/34 dollars so I didn't even bother writing the seller