Question Desktop layout on one of my other hard-drives

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
How can I arrange my files on an other hard drive within my pc to have the same functionality as my main desktop... ie... I can move about Shortcuts and files folders in any arrangement I like.... Horizontal, vertical, etc...

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
When on my desktop... I can drag about files to any position on the desktop I want. In the other hard drives, I cannot. They can only be presented in orders.

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Accessing your other drive via File Explorer is not like what you see in the Desktop.

The Desktop Library has unique properties, to let you move things around.
File Explorer does not.
Yeah... is there some sort of app, etc... that can give this function... It's just I'm very "practical" and like to see things being moved around. It's just how I need to organize all my projects from time to time.

File explorer can sort of do this but doesn't save the icon positions, so once you refresh or leave the folder and come back they are scrambled again as the custom arrangement is lost. XP was the last time you could disable auto-arrange (while there have been workarounds since, Microsoft have always eventually disabled them from working again with updates)

The only 3rd party File Manager replacement that I know does save custom icon order and positions for each folder is Hidemaru Filer Classic. I don't know if the Windows App Store version can do the same.
Hidemaru_Filer_Classic_01.jpg

In a way, this behavior is reminiscent of the Windows 3.11 Program Manager.

Reactions: Eamonn100

Eamonn100

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
File explorer can sort of do this but doesn't save the icon positions, so once you refresh or leave the folder and come back they are scrambled again as the custom arrangement is lost. XP was the last time you could disable auto-arrange (while there have been workarounds since, Microsoft have always eventually disabled them from working again with updates)

The only 3rd party File Manager replacement that I know does save custom icon order and positions for each folder is Hidemaru Filer Classic. I don't know if the Windows App Store version can do the same.
Hidemaru_Filer_Classic_01.jpg

In a way, this behavior is reminiscent of the Windows 3.11 Program Manager.
Thanks, I'll look into this.