Desktop Linux For The Windows Power User

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@nighthawk4900: it IS possible to create a home directory in NTFS; however, it'll be troublesome in a few cases, for the following reasons...

Windows and Linux don't store their file access permissions the same way: Windows uses Access Control Lists (any user of group of users with access rights to a file are defined; if not, the file inherits properties from its parent folder), while Linux uses POSIX attributes (a file has an owner and a group; authorizations to read/write/execute are defined for user/group/world).

Second, Windows inherited the Hidden/System/Readonly/Archive attributes from MS-DOS; highly irrelevant now, except for the Hidden attribute: Linux doesn't care for these attributes (POSIX filesystems traditionally use a leading dot in a file's name to mark a hidden file/directory)

Currently, the NTFS-3g driver handles 'hidden' files by not showing them at all (except if the filesystem is mounted with an option to show all files), and authorizations are not dealt with: NTFS-3g grants full access to files from the Windows namespace, and POSIX authorizations aren't stored between mounts/unmounts - except if you try to use the still experimental ACL-able NTFS-3g driver, which comes with a Windows utility to keep those ACLs that can be translated to POSIX referenced in a hidden file then accessed by the improved driver to reconstitute access rights.

However, it's a lot of trouble for nothing: a better solution is to either keep your data NTFS partition somewhere in /mnt like it probably is now, OR to create a folder inside your Linux user partition and mount the NTFS volume inside it. With carefully crafted links, you should be able to give other users of the system access to it too.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I used Mac and Windoze for years but ended up giving my Macs to my relatives. I was planning on getting one of those new Macbooks but decided against spending the extra $1,300 on it. I loath Microsoft and their DRM infected spyware they call Windows, have for years and Apple is getting on my nerves too with overpriced hardware. I picked up a 14" Acer from Newegg for $400 with free shipping, could not pass it up since I did not have a laptop or allot of cash. It came with Millennium II on it and Acer crap too. I tried a couple Linux distros and gave up because of track pad issues until Ubuntu 9.03 came out. It is my only OS on the laptop now (Vista is on the backup DVD in case I want to sell) and it does everything I want my laptop to do.
I agree with game issue and have a home built killer rig (Thanks Newegg) that runs XP for games but it stays off the net most of time, I really like Fallout 3 and Starcraft
I do agree Ubuntu is real popular and I would like to try Debain again but I am too lazy right now, especially since I have Ubuntu tweaked out the way I want it. I guess I could dual boot? hmmm Maybe when Debain 6.0 comes out.

bbauto

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Great article! I would like to translate it to Swedish and publish it on our forum if that's ok? of course by giving Tom's hardware all the credits, and link to the original article. I tried to email, but not sure to whom i should address this matter. =o)

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Sweet article, ty ty ty! I will be building a third computer , and has already made up my mind to give Linux a shot on it. This article will help make that a lot easier!

I could write an article myself about different statements made by Adam, but I'll just add this: best reason to use this distro of Linux for most of us is that it gives MS some competition. We could all benefit from that, even MS itself.

G

I'm not a Linux fan, and some of my software (CAD engineering and MatLab) don't run at Linux. Even at Wine. So i must use windows for work. But to surf the web and to some other things i like Linux. I use Ubuntu 9.04 (the first that i used was 6.04) and i like it specially because i have no problems with virus. I may buy online, check my bank account (almost) without risk to lose my password because a hacker. I'm sure that an good user has very little risk even under windows, but sometimes a friend or a cousin come to a visit and ask to use your computer... And flash drives also spread malware very easily... Then i use Ubuntu (sometimes Biglinux, a distro from Brazil that comes with nVidia and ATI drivers, and Flash, and some scripts for brazilian broadband connections that Ubuntu doesn't has) for web and, sometimes, for gaming or video converting. It's very good see reviews from other OSes then Windows or OSX.

G

Would love to switch, but I bought a Lenovo X61 and the wireless adapter doesn't work well with Linux. It's very frustrating. I hear it's not Linux's fault, but I still secretly blame it.

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
let me start by saying that I love Windows.

Surely you've never heard of MFC, GDI and any other coding that MS shoves down the throats of programmers. Hideous stuff.

No PC-BSD mention? Easy way to install apps? PBI, double click, sometimes you have to click a button three times (twice for next and once for finish).

G

O.K. a good primer but a few things need to be added (64bit).
1. Add the the Medibuntu.org repositories, it takes five minutes and your 64 bit system can install googleearth and acroread(plus Firefox plugin) and let you play dvd's and any multimedia(w64codecs). Go to their web site and copy and paste two commands.
2. Installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras pulls in 64 bit flash and Java support.
3. Install the bad and ugly plugins.
4. Search for additional wallpaper(background) and screensavers in the in the Ubuntu repositories.
5. It takes about one hour to do a complete install and add these additional fixes to your machine with a good connection.
6. I personally have the best luck with Nvidia cards.
7. If your hardware is about a year or two old it should work perfectly, if newer the drivers may not be written yet.
8. If you like gaming try Sabayon Linux, the dvd has some good games that you can run even from the live session.
9. To install Picasa, go the Googlelabs and get the .deb file and click on it and it works almost like an .exe in Windows.
Now your machine will just work like you want it to.

G

I think that Linux/GNU/Ubuntu is a very rich platform to me superior in some areas to other OS and with lack of app in some areas (some games). I can do my normal work and I can explore other fields trough the free software repository. What keep me in Linux Ubuntu is my learning experience (never is too late to learn). You can learn from the best people, the people who wrote the code of the apps that you use and make some tool that fits for your own work. That it is the real power of Open Source. In the new market it is need to know more than one language,to know a computer language and deploy an app, and you traditional career. For the second goal Linux is the best tool out there. Again this is my personal opinion. Thanks

chartguy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
Yes, people want Linux to "be like Windows".

What they want is an OS that's as stable as Linux, but that runs applications that let them do what they want to do on a computer. I don't play computer games, so that's not an issue.

What I'm wondering is how many mainstream Windows applications can be run, whether it's in an emulator or a virtual machine? I'd vastly prefer restarting an emulator when an app crashed to rebooting Windows.

okmedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
I thought this version was supposed to be user friendly? Let me know when it is as easy to install as windows XP and I will be on board.

G

ok, I did everything you described and it all worked out all right, but my desktop doesn't look anything like the cool desktop that you show all the pictures of. What do I need to do get the dock and everything?

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]chasone[/nom]I have Xp pro and win7. ? I can I installed ubuntu. Or can I have three(3) op on One harddrive[/citation]
you can have 100 oses on one harddrive if you have the space for it.

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I would really love to switch to linux, but I have several reasons why I can't. Simple explanation, CAD/CAM ( with the emphasis on CAM ) and the standard gaming disclaimer. I do not consider myself a "gamer" necessarily, but like alot of people out there, do not want to completetly eliminate the possibility of playing the 1 or 2 games a year that catch my eye. And as far as CAM goes, show me a full-featured, solid modeling, commercial quality linux program that has 4-5 axis CNC machining support, and I'de gladly try it. I'm not being harsh, I would seriously welcome such a thing but, alas, no such product exists. My main CAD/CAM programs are: GibbsCAM and MasterCAM, but I use both SolidWorks, and Inventor at times for translation from different formats.

There's been alot of talk about the server side of linux, and it's small effecient footprint is what would attract me to it in that segment. There has been alot of jockeying in the VDI world to provide an improved "user experience". Everyone is trying to provide openGL and Direct3D over VM's to accomplish this. Linux would be a great fit...IF these traditional "gaming" features existed. The by-product, of course would be happiness for all, gamers and servers alike.

My question would be, can you virtualize ( perhaps VMware, becuase I'm use to it ) the fancy schmancy compiz/beryl ( or whatever it's called ) spinning cube desktop to client VM's with either a linux or windows Host. As my most important software is GibbsCAM ( openGL ), it may be possible to run a linux host ( which is what I'de like ) and VM a windows XP client just for Gibbs. The problem running a linux host, is of course gaming, but ignoring that......

Sadly, I just can't see myself switching anytime soon.

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
ap90033
"That's actually the main criticism of any Linux distro - the lack of RELEVANT software."
Actually this is completely and utterly wrong. Relevant software is very easy to find for linux.

GIMP, many people prefer this to photoshop even when running windows.... free alternative to photoshop. How much money does this save as well?

VLC, Exaile, etc - very good media players. Exaile is probably the best music player on any OS.

There are all kind of video editing software that are good.

Openoffice, which windows users are starting to use more than office as it is.

Excellent developer software.

A LARGE variety of specialty software that is expensive in Windows and just as good on linux for free. Astronomy software, radio, research, mathematics, etc. You name it you can find it in the Ubuntu respository.

And this thing with people talking about mount points..... Ubuntu does this automatically. In fact i would go as far to say that ubuntu is easier to install than Windows. Installing Windows 7, for example, i had numerous driver issues and had to reinstall practically every driver. In Ubuntu all I had to do was download the nvidia driver through an in OS memory option, no need to even go to the nvidia site. Plus you dont need driver cleaner when updating.

All you assertions on linux and 100% completely and utterly wrong. Wine not working and being not able to run crysis corrently is meaningless. I dont care about bad generic overhyped shooters. However even in wine most popular, non flavor of the week garbage games, run properly. Any source game, CS, L4D, TF2, Battlefield 2142/2 runs. WoW, Eve, Warhammer Online, Guild Wars, etc all work. Unreal Tournament and Neverwinter Nights have native linux versions. Every game I play works on linux, sometimes faster than windows but usually the same performance.

Linux 100% completely fits my needs. I've never had an issue with it.

"More people play games on PC than XBox btw but to each his own."
Saying more people play games on PC compared to consoles these days would probably be wrong.

Whats funny is that Vent works in wine... skype and teamspeak both have native linux versions. So you can voice chat as well.

BTW I run Fedora and PC-BSD. PC-BSD is not linux but just as functional if not better just no nvidia 64 bit support and I use 64 bit apps so I use this on another comp.

kanaric

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
btw some people argue pc-bsd is easier than ubuntu. Try it if you are a desktop user or dont care about 64 bit support for graphics drivers.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]kanaric[/nom]Wine not working and being not able to run crysis corrently is meaningless. I dont care about bad generic overhyped shooters.[/citation]

While I generally agree with your points, Wine not running Crysis is NOT meaningless to some people. Just because YOU don't care about them doesn't mean nobody else does. Personally I don't think crysis is much either.

[citation][nom]kanaric[/nom]However even in wine most popular, non flavor of the week garbage games, run properly. Any source game, CS, L4D, TF2, Battlefield 2142/2 runs.[/citation]
L4D wouldn't break 10FPS for me on minimum settings. I get 40-120FPS in Windows on max. Wine will work for some people and not others, depending on the Wine version and how much you try to make it work as well.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]
L4D wouldn't break 10FPS for me on minimum settings. I get 40-120FPS in Windows on max. Wine will work for some people and not others, depending on the Wine version and how much you try to make it work as well.[/citation]
Again, I give Linux developers a lot of credit for trying to make 'windows' games even run under LInux. Unfortunately, there's not much money (yet?) in the game development industry to develop titles specifically for non-Windows computers. The dominance of DirectX and the (at least percieved) lack of OpenGL evolution stiffles the Linux gaming market.

aditya_advani

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Please try Windows Server 2008 - it is the Windows to answer all stability and reliability and memory management questions. With built-in virtualization I run WS2008 AND Kubuntu 9.04 on the same box with 8 gigs of RAM. Funnily enough Firefox eats more RAM than Kubuntu oh well ...

HELL YEAH no restarts without reason in 150+ days the best of all worlds.

millerja01a

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Its' so funny hearing from those who cite the main reason they resist living in Linux is lack of game support.

I love gaming...Windows has the most support for the games I enjoy...for that I'll have a windows installation. WinXP is fine for gaming. But for working and basically everything else...Jaunty for me. Here's why.

My chief complaint with Windows in the corporate setup is that with all the extras installed to protect and "optimize" the OS for it's hardware, I can see 25% of my system consumed before I even start working. I can unload software...tweak registries(yuk!) and so forth and still not much improvement and if I get really busy with VM's and large files for analyziing that are open...crawl. More RAM???? Yes that'll help but we know Windows...the more it sees...the more it uses.

I've been running Jaunty on my work laptop for over a month now and I love it. Still having some growing pains but a co-worker and the Ubuntu community have helped in that dept. a great deal. I can do my job 100% in Ubuntu with VBox only for 2 specialized Windows only apps to to my job.

PC is faster...more stable...more secure...can handle whatever I throw at it and keep up. Plus Compiz is cool!!

For gaming...Windows is it. For everthing else...there's Linux.

G

Windows "power users?"

Hahahahaha!

Here's a tip though, Windows power users will have to learn Linux all the same since, get ready for a shocker, LINUX IS NOTHING LIKE WINDOWS!

Also, windows "power user" strikes me as an oxymoron. Doesn't that basically just mean the person knows where each obscure checkbox is and how to get into the registry without fucking over a system? I always thought Windows denied users the sort of control and power necessary to be a serious "power user."

Windows power user is nowhere near the same level as a Linux power user.

Oh, and MS-DOS is nowhere near the same level as any *nix* CLI, either.

Another thing: Real Linux power users frequently don't even launch a GUI. At all. Sometimes never. You wanna be a real Linux power user you gotta stop thinking like a Windows power user.

I say this as an Arch user. Arch does things that a Windows power user wouldn't know the first thing to do with. We get a core, and we install what we need from the repositories. No GUI by default, either, and installing X is usually a last step.

Status
Not open for further replies.