Desktop PC w/ Graphics Upgrade

dudleythedud

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Looking for an oldish desktop with quad core CPU and 8gb RAM to add a decent graphics card to (considering a Radeon 7970) and replace the PSU. Everything in my price range (under $280 AUD) is small form factor (dell optiplex 990s etc.) and I doubt I could fit in any GPU worth my while. Any suggestions for either oem pc or gpu?

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you checked out the older Dell Optiplex workstations like the T3500, T5500,...?
They came with pretty powerful (for the time) quad core and hexacore Xeon CPUs, lots of RAM, and decent PSUs. Plus, there are tons of them on the market now from businesses. Even Walmart sells them. I'm in the US, so I realize things may be a bit different in the Down Under.

I have a T3500 Optiplex workstation I turned into a poor man's gamer with the addition of a GTX 1060 3GB.

dudleythedud

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016

Thanks clutch, hadn't even considered a Xeon, but the T3500 sounds like a really good deal. I'll definitely look into grabbing one off ebay. Would the installed power supply be able to support the system with a radeon 7970 installed or would I need to get a new one?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

To the best of my knowledge, there were only two Dell PSUs that era for the T3500. A 525W and a 825W. The HD-7979 requires at least a 575W with a 6-pin and 8-pin connector. The 825W Dell PSU is the only one with more than a single 6-pin. And it only has 2. You'd need an adapter for the 2nd 6-pin to make it a 8-pin. So, it's doable. But that's not the biggest problem...

Due to the design of the "swing away" drive cage on the T3500... when it is closed, there is no room for the 6/8 pin connector(s) if the headers are mounted on the top edge of the card. The header either has to be mid-card or mounted on the end. I'm probably not explaining it clearly. Maybe a picture will help. This is the inside of mine. I used a GTX 1060 mini to allow the 6-pin to plug in. A longer card will fit, but you'd need a stubby 6/8 pin connector and the card couldn't be very tall.

http://i.imgur.com/qKbZ0pr.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Solution