Desktop Resolution & Icon Size get messed up after Restart/Sleep on Multiple Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,
This issue occurs when I use multiple Displays - set on Extend or Second Screen Only - and after I restart/wakes from sleep:

I have 2 displays - both 1080p:

One is a LG IPS237 LED 23" PC monitor, connected to my graphic card using an HDMI to DVI cable (this monitor only has HDMI exit so I connect it with hdmi to dvi cable - into the dvi slot of my Nvidia GPU).
The 2nd is a Samsung UA55D6400 55" LED TV - that is connected to the HDMI slot of my GPU - and to a Pioneer VSX-823K AV-Receiver on the other end. The HDMI cables is 10meters long running from one room to the next.

Now the issue starts when I am using Extend or Second Screen only - and restart, reboots or puts my pc to sleep:
I have my Samsung TV set as the "main display". When I put on Extend or Second Screen only - everything looks great. The resolution is indeed 1080p (1920x1080) @60Mhz.
I can play games, browse the web, everything is good.
However - when the pc gets back up from restarts, awakes from sleep, returns from sign outs - the resolution on the main display as well as the desktop icons get messed up:
Desktop icons become gigantic and scattered in disarray. They take up about 33% of the TV screen. The Taskbar also becomes massive and wide.
Texts and letters however become small and very blurry.
The issue persists and appears also on the PC monitor (when I use it in Extend or when I set the project settings to PC Monitor Only): Huge desktop icons, massive taskbar and especially blurry and smudged text.

The only way for me to fix this - is restarting the pc - WHEN ITS ON PC MONITOR ONLY. IF I would restart it when its on "Second Screen Only" or on "Extend" it will still have the enlarged icons and bad display.
Note: the Resolution remains 1920x1080 while this bug occurs - and this bug occurs 100% after restarts and sleeps.

I have the latest GPU drivers and windows updates. I cannot find a solution for this - and this is extremelty uncomfortable and troublesome - since I like occasionally put my pc to sleep or restart it - when working/gaming in front of my TV in the living room.

My GPU is: Asus 670GTX DC2T.

Here are some screenshots - taken on my PC monitor on "PC Monitor Only" after restarting my system at Extend (TV as "main monitor"):
Before - Looks ok:

AFTER RESTART/SLEEP - smudged stretched resolution look, massive icons, blurry tiny text:

PLEASE HELP!

goku1234567890

Distinguished
Seems to me like a driver issue. Try rolling to back to older drivers and see if that fixes it. Also try to make a profile in the nvidia control panel and then try. Also go to device manager and see if there is any exclamation mark. Also if your could download Driver Genius and scan and see if you need any drivers. Also i suggest updating the chipset drivers if they aren't already.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
No it is not a driver issue. All my drivers are the latest of Nvidia and all. And the issue has been around for a long time, also in previous drivers. I also tried installing a driver for my monitor - which is really useless - but with or without it - the issue persists.
I know a friend of mine had that issue too, so I guess it is a common bug.
My PC is rather new:
Core i5-3570-K Ivy.
Asus Sabertooth Z77.
16 GB of DDR3 RAM.
Asus 670 GTX GPU.
Using windows 8.1 64 bit.

This bug is really annoying and bothersome - can someone please help?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I have had Win8.1 installed ever since Win8.1 was released. Not sure about the exact dates.
I have installed Intel Chipset driver for Win8.1 64bit: VER9401026 - downloaded from Asus Drivers websites, after searching for my Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77.
It didn't work.
To install I had to go inside the folder after extraction, several layers into the "chipset" folder - since the Setup in the main folder showed me an error upon running - saying the version of windows is not correct. But that was fixed when I dig into the "Chipset" folder and ran the "Setup" there.

Anyway - it didn't work at all: I have set Devices > Project to: "second screen only". Went to the TV, restarted my system: and there you have it: looks horrendous, blurry and oversized:

Like I said, it looks so bad I can barely look at it.

I really really need help, please someone help me solve this, I am sure I am not the only one with this issue.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Do I need to try and install/uninstall anything else? Btw - the installation process of the chipset driver, after confirming license agreement only took a split second. Not sure if it matters.
When you search the chipset drivers in Asus drivers, there is also this: MEI_Win8-1_VER95101658_1-5M - I didn't install it because I thought it wasn't necessary.

Also, I have the latest BIOS updates, Nvidia updates and Windows updates.
Finally: here is a screenshot AFTER I RESTARTED MY PC: the only real remedy for this terrible bug:

Everything is back to its right proportions, letters are sharp, icons are aligned and smaller, taskbar and windows frames are thin as they should be.
Again, this only gets back to normal after restarts - a very tedious thing, because I have to first set back my display settings to PC SCREEN ONLY and then RESTART and finally set it to SECOND SCREEN again.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
Seems like it is a bug. I am using windows 8 too and i came across it too yesterday, i think. I set my TV as the main display and laptop integrated as the secondary display. So when i launched Fifa 14 it launched on the TV but the icons on the laptops became like yours and went out of the screen and the text also looked like yours. What i did was set the laptop as the main display and removed and then inserted the HDMI cable again and that fixed it. You should keep the monitor as the main display and the tv as the secondary display. Although this seems foolish but did you check if the large icons were checked in the right click mouse menu?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Ok first thing first: I am going to test this right away. You suggest I set my PC Monitor as main display, and then unplug the TV HDMI? (the Av-Receiver Cable actually)?
Then I should plug it again, and test the restarts?

Thing is, the reason I initially set my TV as the main display is because of gaming mainly and also web browsing etc. Since when you launch a game on Extend mode (I sometimes use that instead of Second Screen Only) - The game will always run on the Main Display - regardless of the resolution - so it seems. So I can have a nice big TV, but the game will run on the main display- the small pc monitor.
But I might be mistaken. Going to test the unplugging of the HDMI, and setting the PC monitor as Main. Will report soon.

About the Icons, they are currently set to Medium. I didn't check if that changes during the bug, but I doubt it, as the whole display gets missed up in so many ways.

goku1234567890

Distinguished
For the same reason as yours i set my TV as the main display as the games only launch on the main display. I came up with a explanation though, you see our TV support bigger resolution than our monitors so when we set them as main screen blinks and sent the icons to the TV and results in the bigger icons to match with the resolution. There were some icons left behind on my laptop screen so they got bigger too which they shouldn't have. That is what happened to me and i think that is what happened to you too. Even though there might be no icons on your second screen but i think windows keeps a aspect ratio of icons and text on both the screen. And i searched the net for this bug and there wasn't much i could find which let me into thinking that it should be happening because of different resolution support of both the monitors i mean max supported resolution. Since i answer here i have seen a plenty of people using the monitors that are same or support atleast one resolution. Of course our both the monitors and tv do but we dont use them now you and i .

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Yeah well at the moment I leave things the way they are. There is no fix for this bug so far. Nothing worked.
Like I said the issue happens 100% of the times after Restart or Shutdown/boot, not sure about sleep/wake. And the only fix is Restarting while at PC Monitor Only.
To avoid this, I have to set my monitor back from Second Screen/Extend into PC Monitor Only.

I think that this doesn't occur when I put my PC to Sleep while using the TV, but I am not certain...

About the TV and Monitor top resolution, I am not sure what you mean:
My LG IPS237 LED 23" Monitor works on an HDMI-HDMI (not DVI - although I connect it with HDMI-DVI cable so I can use the single HDMI entry slot for the Receiver-TV HDMI).
Both my LG PC monitor and Samsung TV run on 1080p 60Hz - they are the running at the same resolution.

I thank you a lot for the help, I hope someone here can come with a solution or workable workaround.

Btw, your avatar is extremely hypnotizing, but a bit epileptic haha! Where is it from??
Also.. you gotta admit, my avatar is also quite mesmerizing :) (you know where it's from?)

goku1234567890

Distinguished
Well i don't know from where our avatars are from i found mine i think on some anime forum i was watching dbz i really liked it and it has been my avatar since then. I have recieved some messages that my avatar is annoying and irritating but i like it so i keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.