Question Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process destroying PC after installing 3070 Ti

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I recently installed a new RTX 3070 Ti, and initially it was running great, but recently (I have not made any changes since) it has started to run like absolute garbage. Like, absurdly slow to the point where my PC doesn't even function. I opened task manager to find Desktop Window Manager and Client Server Runtime Process taking up 100% of my GPU bandwidth whenever I tried to do anything (opening a tab, using discord, playing a game, etc). Now, I DO have a Windows update pending (see image) but I've been hesitant to try that, as merely restarting my PC takes ~15 minutes, and going through the whole song and dance of an entire update could take multiple hours, and I'm not willing to sit through that unless I'm pretty sure it'll fix the issue.

Strangely enough, last night I was experiencing this issue, and tried to play Mordhau. Initially the performance was absolutely terrible, to the point where it looked like a slideshow. But given a few minutes, it slowly started to improve. It was a playable (not good, but playable) framerate after ~5 minutes, and was suddenly a beautiful silky smooth 80+ maybe 10-15 minutes later. I didn't experience a slow PC for the rest of the night.

However, coming back from school today, the issue has returned. I haven't made the attempt to launch any games yet, but I've been completely unable to use discord, youtube, and even opening my browser was a struggle. DWM and CSRP are still taking up 100% of my GPU bandwidth.

My computer specs are listed in my signature.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i know start up is slow and all but i am curious if that happens in safe mode

while you are in safe mode I would run ddu and uninstall Nvidia drivers and reinstall them once you get to normal mode again - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode

dwm.exe sits between GPU drivers and applications, so I would check drivers out.
Other thought is, do a malwarescan and make sure you don't have something running mining app on GPU.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
i know start up is slow and all but i am curious if that happens in safe mode

while you are in safe mode I would run ddu and uninstall Nvidia drivers and reinstall them once you get to normal mode again - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
dwm.exe sits between GPU drivers and applications, so I would check drivers out.
Other thought is, do a malwarescan and make sure you don't have something running mining app on GPU.
I have already tried updating drivers, and it did nothing. I got a blue screen error when trying to open my antivirus. I don’t know what to do.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Just posting here some more as I've gathered a bit more data - tried running Mordhau, and it actually ran superb initially: silky smooth framerate with no drops for roughly 10-15 minutes, when suddenly the framerate tanked into a slideshow and some wild graphical bugs appeared - animations ceased to work and cloth physics went crazy. memory usage was around 5 gbs, and one thing I noticed is that my gpu utilization was roughly 30-50%, until it started running like crap, where it spiked dramatically.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
why does it take 15 minutes to start PC?

slow boot and a hdd... how old is drive?
I wonder if its causing problem

download crystaldiskinfo (blue icons) - https://crystalmark.info/en/
simply running it lets it check SMART scores
Slow hard drive + Windows. The drive itself is maybe 2 1/2 years old, it's never been problematic before besides being a bit slow.

I'll try that crystaldiskinfo and get back to you with the results.

Colif

Win 11 Master
even with a hdd, windows shouldn't take 15 minutes to startup.

has it always taken that long?

A PC with that CPU should be able to boot to windows in about 2 or 3 minutes max with a hdd. My PC only has a 3600xt and an nvme and its less than 30 seconds. My mums PC only has a I5 quad core and hdd and at most takes 4 minutes to get to desktop, your CPU is 4x more capable than it is.

You really need an ssd at least, once you used one you can't go back. it makes everything faster

Last edited:

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
even with a hdd, windows shouldn't take 15 minutes to startup.

has it always taken that long?

A PC with that CPU should be able to boot to windows in about 2 or 3 minutes max with a hdd. My PC only has a 3600xt and an nvme and its less than 30 seconds. My mums PC only has a I5 quad core and hdd and at most takes 4 minutes to get to desktop, your CPU is 4x more capable than it is.

You really need an ssd at least, once you used one you can't go back. it makes everything faster
I plan on getting an ssd- the problem is, they're expensive, and I just bought a 3070 Ti, so it will take some time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ssd won't help games but will make everything else faster.

how did you go with test?
not sure if hdd could have anything to do with the spikes. boot time distracted me. if its not the hdd, something else slowing it down. that can mean its waiting for hardware to respond at start up.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
ssd won't help games but will make everything else faster.

how did you go with test?
not sure if hdd could have anything to do with the spikes. boot time distracted me. if its not the hdd, something else slowing it down. that can mean its waiting for hardware to respond at start up.
I've heard that ssds yield much faster loading times, and considering Ark takes upwards of 12 minutes to load on heavily modded servers... that sounds quite appealing. As of the crystaldiskinfo, here are the results.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Also, I ran Malwarebytes, which found some mining software installed, which I quickly obliterated. Last night it didn't seem to have changed anything, so I dismissed it as not having been the problem, but today after I came home from school, things seem to be running ok. I guess we'll see how it behaves tonight because I suspect it might return. And if it does, what causes it to return might help narrow down the problem.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
ok, I changed some power settings, and it seems to be ok for now, but something I've noticed is that every time it seems ok my gpu clock is at 1860 mhz, wheras whenever it's at 100% usage and acting slow, it's at 200-500. I assume it's for some reason underclocking itself and just running like absolute garbage? And if it is, what would be causing it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its unusual to get TDR errors on an Nvidia card, normally drivers cause other errors over that one.
I wonder if the card is faulty

its possible malwarebytes didn't find all the mining software. I would contemplate a clean install to make sure its all gone. If anything going to mess with GPU, its that stuff.
try running this and see if it finds anything - https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
its unusual to get TDR errors on an Nvidia card, normally drivers cause other errors over that one.
I wonder if the card is faulty

its possible malwarebytes didn't find all the mining software. I would contemplate a clean install to make sure its all gone. If anything going to mess with GPU, its that stuff.
try running this and see if it finds anything - https://www.hitmanpro.com/en-us
Well, after I changed the power settings, it was working for a few hours- until I plugged in my wireless mouse to charge it, and then the problem returned. I wonder, could the issue be power related, and the added draw from my mouse charging brought back the issue?

Colif

Win 11 Master
its just crashing, not BSOD? so its hardware of some kind to blame
looks at hdd image...
caution
reallocated Sectors Count - Reallocated Sector Count Warning is a critical SMART parameter that indicates a failing hard drives. Continued usage of such hard drives can lead to permanent data loss.

I would get that ssd sooner rather than later. Its not going to get better.

Your PSU is right amount of wattage for the GPU & its based on a Seasonic Focus GOLD PSU, and although no one is perfect, I don't see many of their PSU causing problems. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu,5429.html

ssd aren't that expensive really, depends on size you look at. I seen videos for them at $30 but I don't know if I would trust a $30 drive. They not that much really. its 159 for a 1tb NVME where I live (Australia), I know they cheaper elsewhere.

Or just buy another hdd, it still be faster than 15 minutes.

its possible hdd isn't cause of GPU problem, but a reinstall on a new ssd/hdd might fix that.

Last edited:

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
its just crashing, not BSOD? so its hardware of some kind to blame
looks at hdd image...
caution
reallocated Sectors Count - Reallocated Sector Count Warning is a critical SMART parameter that indicates a failing hard drives. Continued usage of such hard drives can lead to permanent data loss.

I would get that ssd sooner rather than later. Its not going to get better.

Your PSU is right amount of wattage for the GPU & its based on a Seasonic Focus GOLD PSU, and although no one is perfect, I don't see many of their PSU causing problems. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu,5429.html

ssd aren't that expensive really, depends on size you look at. I seen videos for them at $30 but I don't know if I would trust a $30 drive. They not that much really. its 159 for a 1tb NVME where I live (Australia), I know they cheaper elsewhere.

Or just buy another hdd, it still be faster than 15 minutes.
Sometimes it's BSOD, sometimes my monitors just go black.

I need to figure out what's causing the issue. Why would it suddenly come back when I start charging my mouse after several hours of great performance?

As of an ssd, I'd love to get one, and when I do, I'd like to get at least 1tb of storage, for I'd like to store some games on it as well to grant better loading times on those. And I just bought a 3070 Ti, so It'll be a bit before I can buy an ssd.

Also, after the crash, the issue seems gone again. I'm stumped. What could be causing it?