Despite DRM-Free Version, Witcher 2 With DRM Most Pirated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]While we can argue back and forth about the definition of what stealing is, piracy definitively harm society and I wish to argue that in a purely economic point of view, not a moral one. If a company invest millions in a R and D and invents something that is very good for society, and other companies can just steal the idea so that the company who made the invention cannot profit, that company would not have invested those millions in the first place and the invention that is beneficial to society would not have been invented. Same with software. Piracy weakens the profitability of making software and thus lowers our investment in that industry with the result of society having less software that could have been potentially useful.[/citation]
I REALLY don't think people care about rich peoples tears anymore. Ever since they sorta bet on the collapse of foreign and domestic economies, people really don't give a shit about their profit margins.

Make a good product, and people buy it. It's not even hard.

But no, these rich ass holes expect you to dish out cash at anything and everything they pump out - then they cry about it when you don't buy it.

Honestly, I don't care, and fuck their rich asses. And while we're on that note, I don't think most people care either - they don't view music, movies and games as having a constant dollar sign attached to them.

I know, we're a horrible society! We look at sharing entertainment as more important than making a select few individuals rich. It's almost as blasphemous as Hitler!

mrmez

Splendid
[citation][nom]pennanen[/nom]People really dont understand what stealing and piracy is. If person A takes person B's ham, its stealing. If person A makes a copy of person B's ham they can both have ham, its not stealing since person B gets to keep his ham.[/citation]

What planet are you from? Stealing isn't only applicable to physical goods... like ham. You can also steal a service, like internet access, and intellectual property like a business plan etc.

Semantics aside, piracy is a form of stealing insomuch as the game developer at al. missis out on revenue from lost sales. Even if they don't intend to sell it, doesn't mean its free to take.

Piracy, stealing, call it what you like. You are still taking something that you haven't paid for, that someone has put a lot of work into. If people didn't expect to be compensated for their work, they wouldn't charge in the first place.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
It's because alot of people copying this stuff are stupid....

I just saw a comment for the World of Warcraft Cataclysm dvd(a .iso) that said "I installed it, but I can't get cataclysm free"...

Another commenter said they wanted a video on how to use it.........

You can't make this shit up....

The original people that crack this stuff are the only ones worth a damn.... the rest are just MPAA cannon fodder.....

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I REALLY don't think people care about rich peoples tears anymore. Ever since they sorta bet on the collapse of foreign and domestic economies, people really don't give a shit about their profit margins. Make a good product, and people buy it. It's not even hard. But no, these rich ass holes expect you to dish out cash at anything and everything they pump out - then they cry about it when you don't buy it. Honestly, I don't care, and fuck their rich asses. And while we're on that note, I don't think most people care either - they don't view music, movies and games as having a constant dollar sign attached to them. I know, we're a horrible society! We look at sharing entertainment as more important than making a select few individuals rich. It's almost as blasphemous as Hitler![/citation]
I think you misunderstand my argument. I did not say piracy is bad because it reduces corporate profit. Look, if you can show me a system where good software gets made consistently without people profiting I'd be glad to vote to implement this system. Until then, we'd have to content with this flawed but proven system.

I'm often baffled with people like you living a high income capitalist country. You often take for granted all the advantages you have over the rest of the world. Most of you do not suffer from malnutrition, have indoor plumbing, medical health care, welfare, etc... Have you ever stop to think why is it exactly you have these advantage? I'm not saying high income countries don't have problems, but you've got to be familiar with what are the fundamentals that make you high income or soon you will want abolish those fundamentals to "solve" these problems.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]bringmeanother[/nom]I think you misunderstand my argument. I did not say piracy is bad because it reduces corporate profit. Look, if you can show me a system where good software gets made consistently without people profiting I'd be glad to vote to implement this system. Until then, we'd have to content with this flawed but proven system.I'm often baffled with people like you living a high income capitalist country. You often take for granted all the advantages you have over the rest of the world. Most of you do not suffer from malnutrition, have indoor plumbing, medical health care, welfare, etc... Have you ever stop to think why is it exactly you have these advantage? I'm not saying high income countries don't have problems, but you've got to be familiar with what are the fundamentals that make you high income or soon you will want abolish those fundamentals to "solve" these problems.[/citation]

We have these advantages because our white collar bankers beat your white collar bankers. Trust me, they're slowly dissipating.

Seriously. We only have this because we take what we need/want like a typical school-yard bully. Wanna do something about it? There's a reason we spend more than the next leading 10+ countries combined (in military spending). We don't intend on giving ANY of it up - well at least our rich people won't - they have no problem robbing from their own citizens though.

I'd rather just not know any better - because that whole "American dream" thing where you climb up the latter, and someday you too could become rich, is a LOAD of bullshit. People act like it's easy as 1-2-3 and everyone has the same opportunity. It makes me laugh.

mmm123

Honorable
May 29, 2012
The best ways to combat piracy is to add value to non-pirated version.
There are several things that can be done - for example verified non-pirate user could receive game exe optimized for his hardware. Also verified non-pirate users could receive additional music pacs, texture pacs, etc - things that are not necessary to store on local computer but could be downloaded during game-play.

G

Before you guys moan and btch about pirates, please go look at where ALL your money goes.
Look at who is getting paid before hand, What investors projections are, What publishers are getting paid...

the people that Create the game see less then 25% of the profits, Investors expect 300%-600% payout from a game. i say Fukem, they can get 100% profit and live a normal life. Maybe one less luxury sport car, or one less house..

Also please look at pirating in the indie market, although there is pirating, many pirates prefer to buy indie games cause 1, they want to support them, 2.The games are cheap, 3. innovation comes more from indie then AAA games today.

if you sell a million copies at 60$ a game, that's 60 million dollars just for 1 mil sales(which many games exceed) The cost to have made that was at most 8-10 Mil. and marketing another 2-3. Sometimes there is licenses like Star Wars Games, but im not gona go into all those extra costs now.
point is, the developers get paid, the designers get paid. When you pirate a AAA game you are ensuring a investor just gets enough and not too much.

gabriel333

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]What planet are you from? Stealing isn't only applicable to physical goods... like ham. You can also steal a service, like internet access, and intellectual property like a business plan etc.Semantics aside, piracy is a form of stealing insomuch as the game developer at al. missis out on revenue from lost sales. Even if they don't intend to sell it, doesn't mean its free to take.Piracy, stealing, call it what you like. You are still taking something that you haven't paid for, that someone has put a lot of work into. If people didn't expect to be compensated for their work, they wouldn't charge in the first place.[/citation]

So by your justifications the lending of games and movies should be considered stealing and piracy?

strandiam

Honorable
May 9, 2012
CD Projekt are the good guys. If people meant the crap they say about only stealing for protest, then games like Witcher 2 would not be stolen. No matter what justifications thieves try to give, in the end they just steal because they want free stuff.

G

cop·y
noun. plural. cop·ies
An imitation or reproduction of an original; a duplicate

theft [θɛft]
noun
(Law) Criminal law the dishonest taking of property belonging to another person with the intention of depriving the owner permanently of its possession

(source: Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003 found on http://www.thefreedictionary.com)

learn to definitions

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I'm not defending the pirates, but the idea that even 10% of the pirates will buy the game if it was "un-piratable" is laughable. Those "lost" sales are in the economic sense, not based on reality. The real reason that consoles have become the devolopers darling is one thing: closed system. You only need to test on one device. Not the 10+ you would have to do make sure that you have compatibility with the current PC ecosystem. Not all chipsets/GPU/memory/sound cards are created equal now are they?

graemevermeulen

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
People that pirate games are the reason for prices shooting up, it's why we now see games nearly the same price as their PS3 and Xbox counterparts.

If you can't afford something, you don't have the privilege of using it. I can't afford a Ferrari, so I don't drive a Ferrari.

People that pirate games are thieves, and of course, losers.

yzf197

Honorable
May 1, 2012
tl;dr version: STOP TRYING TO SELL GAMES FOR 60 BUCKS. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL. I WILL FORK OUT TWO TWENTY DOLLAR BILLS FOR A GREAT GAME.

sixty dollars is a joke, inflation citations are utter BS. ten years ago brand new games were 40 bucks, and even then that was too much, but good games were made and we spent the money. i'll never forget spending 40 bucks for Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. back then a console going for 300 bucks was a lot. we now live in an age of phones that are $700+, and i won't be surprised if next gen consoles go for something just as stupid.

if developers and publishers would MARKET A 49.99 PRICE POINT, MORE GAMES WOULD BE SOLD. drop the price ten freakin' dollars. get back to basics. games taking millions more to develop are proving they are wasting money that should be spent on creativity. graphics haven't improved enough for said amount of money either. big money gaming companies need to invest in gameplay over development costs if they expect to combat piracy.

Pennanen

Honorable
May 29, 2012
"Piracy is bad because its a lost sale"

Why do everyone assume that pirates would buy the product in first place?

My argument about the copying still stands, its not stealing.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I have no problem with offline DRM that requires no kind of initial server verification as I know that if the game works now, then it will work years from now even if the company goes out of business and kills all of their servers.

With online DRM, the only time I will ever deal with it is for a MMO game where there is no offline (and even then I stick with low cost ones like global agenda)

Regardless of DRM, there will always be people who pirate and those who do not, there is no argument about that. The issue with the DRM is that it would turn people who would otherwise pay for the game into pirates, When a game sells missions of copies, do you really think that those people have no idea of how to pirate the game?

If game developers get rid of all DRM, or at least scale back to the basic serial number or CD check, then you will see piracy drop by significantly.

You will still have the group who will pirate regardless of the price of the game or the DRM, but at least you wont be wasting money developing DRM that at most stops the pirates for a day, and you wont be forcing otherwise paying customers into piracy when they have one too many bad experiences with the DRM

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Diablo 3 is the worst case of DRM punishing the user that I have ever purchased. When the servers go down, you have these completely useless bits on your hard drive. Can't play when Big Brother isn't watching you! I will never buy another Blizzard product again.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]I read more stories about game piracy statistics than I read about game sales statistics. People pirate stuff -- they've always done this forever. Hell, animals pirate stuff from each other all the time too. How about we focus on the actual sales numbers and paying audience for games? You know, the people who actually fund your games and want to see your company thrive.I'm not a pirate. Stop telling me that I must accept DRM, changes to a game's design, or other piracy-mitigation strategies. I really don't care how many people pirated Witcher 2 with DRM. I just care whether it is a good game or not. Reading about how pirates flocked to Witcher 2 with DRM while a DRM-free version was available, I have to start thinking that the piracy statistics are bogus and calculated improperly.[/citation]

I think that all this talk is to try and divert people's attention to how much the PAYING GAMERS are being exploited by poor content, little content then DLCs, the forever poor excuse of a game costing too much, the poor coding that exists in most games, the buggy launch when you buy a game, especially the likes of online drm ones or mmorpg ones.

Instead of this post perhaps this site should have also incorporated why skyrim got these amazing sales worldwide as a game then why a game like Rage got so completely burried by its own faults....

Pirates are those who have no money to buy a game..... Poor excuse but true. Those who will pirate anything cause the just love it..... But there are pirates, i should say the majority of those who pirate, that feel resentful at how these publishing companies launch so many poor quality games and then come up with such poor excuses....... When someone is trying to rip you off you have two options.... either IGNORE him or RETALIATE..........

Who is right or wrong in every case cannot be solved by either side alone but by both sides. Publishing companies have been given way too much freedom to exploit..... a bit of a restraint is never bad.

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
[citation][nom]ArgleBargle[/nom]Diablo 3 is the worst case of DRM punishing the user that I have ever purchased. When the servers go down, you have these completely useless bits on your hard drive. Can't play when Big Brother isn't watching you! I will never buy another Blizzard product again.[/citation]

You are definitely not the only one that have said that.... all forums are full of people complaining. I just turned my back completely on this game... simply do not care any more..... There are a lot more respectable games out there that have gone peer to peer with 20 times more content and gratification than this game. For 60 euros you can enjoy most free to play games for 10 times more the time than this crap.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Price is the main killer to kill piracy, look how much Steam discount has been making players stop pirating the games. Who would pirate a game that cost only $10-20 and all the incoming DLC are free.

I bought EA battlefield 3 only to know a few months later they are planning to charge me $15 for DLC(a few maps + a few guns for 15? wtf)I feel like I got scam by buying a $60 game only to know I need to spend further more for additional content.

IMO, DLC should be free from developer as thank you for supporting the game. I got Torchlight 1+2 $15, Runic the one got my money, not Blizzard. IN-fact Blizzard games arent even available in steam for discount. Get the game cheap, stop spending 100million on hype/marketing/polishing a crappy product. NO game is worth 100mill on marketing, if it is a good game people will pay for it and buy it

contentsmayvary

Honorable
May 28, 2012
[citation][nom]kathiki[/nom]You are definitely not the only one that have said that.... all forums are full of people complaining. I just turned my back completely on this game... simply do not care any more..... There are a lot more respectable games out there that have gone peer to peer with 20 times more content and gratification than this game. For 60 euros you can enjoy most free to play games for 10 times more the time than this crap.[/citation]

Well you can wait for Torchlight 2, and then download the cracked version for free. Even better, right?

Jarmo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
What I see is all publishers going Blizzard way of WoW and Diablo 3 before long. Keeping half of the game on their servers. Don't see too many people pirating WoW.

Too bad the likes of EA won't bother to maintain their game servers for more than a few years at most. And those claiming they'll take their money elsewhere, there's no elsewhere to go. 99% of those claiming they'll just stop playing... no you wont.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i am tired of this comment that games are too expensive...
adjuster for inflation, they are cheaper now than ever

couple that with that fact, that almost no other form of entertainment offers such value

example, if u get 25 hrs out of diablo 3 for 60 bucks, that is less then 3 dollars an hour
nothing offers a value like that

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I havent pirated any games .. not console not pc .. i have bought every single one i have over 20 games on steam and 3 on origin.. and like 5 on amazon.. really its easy if you shop the sales ... i dont think i have ever paid full price for any of my games.. i got skyrim for 39.99 and saved 20 bucks im just saying ... and like 3- 4 times a year steam has season sales there due to have a summer sale soon.. buy a developer pack .. stuff is usually priced at a steal.. just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.