Despite Launch Issues, SimCity Sells 1.1 Million Copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
While it did sell a few copies, it isn't a stellar seller.
I did however enjoy the free game giveaway they were doing and scored a free Dead Space 3.

blackjackcf

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]While it did sell a few copies, it isn't a stellar seller.I did however enjoy the free game giveaway they were doing and scored a free Dead Space 3.[/citation]

It's definitely no Diablo III, but I think the amount of copies it sold is still pretty impressive considering the really negative backlash it got from the server issues.

- Catherine Cai

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
A group of hackers will eventually figure out how to emulate an EA server to make an offline mode. Like Diablo 3 and how office 2010/2013, win7/8 is activated

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]A group of hackers will eventually figure out how to emulate an EA server to make an offline mode. Like Diablo 3 and how office 2010/2013, win7/8 is activated[/citation]
There are reports of some success with that: http://www.myce.com/news/simcity-hacked-for-offline-play-drm-to-blame-for-disaster-66477/

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]A group of hackers will eventually figure out how to emulate an EA server to make an offline mode. Like Diablo 3 and how office 2010/2013, win7/8 is activated[/citation]
I don't think anyone managed to get a working D3 server for this yet, correct me if I'm wrong.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It doesn't need to emulate a server. Nothing is dont on server side. This was talked about by an anonymous EA employee when they were talking about how easy it would be to make single player be offline capable. It's already been shown that the game still plays for a long time after someone physically disconnects their internet connection which shows it only makes random checks every so often to make sure it's connected to the servers. The main issue would be saved games would need to be made to be saved locally which im sure some hacker will easily be able to do.

shriganesh

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I ain't buying this crappy game! I don't like always connected games. I am sure there are many like me. So instead of celebrating Maxis and EA should start counting lost sales!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

dont even need to emulate servers, noting is done server side beyond game saves.

what im intrested in is when the games were sold, pre server issues known or post.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]slomo4sho[/nom]In America, we reward failure.[/citation]

if only that were true on an every man, and not the 1% basis, because if it was true, i would be a front runner for worlds richest man

Well, missinformed ppl still bought it. However seems like people are starting to get smarter as those sales tend to drop.
Interesting that EA CEO steped down not long ago. Perhaps due to low sales of SIM CITY? I sure hope so, cus then we might start getting some decent games.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]You know what they say, there's a sucker is born every minute.[/citation]

[citation][nom]cats_Paw[/nom]Well, missinformed ppl still bought it. However seems like people are starting to get smarter as those sales tend to drop.Interesting that EA CEO steped down not long ago. Perhaps due to low sales of SIM CITY? I sure hope so, cus then we might start getting some decent games.[/citation]

I assume people with comments like this haven't played the game. It has more than it's share of problems but it's still a fun game to play. I've already reached the point where I figure I've played at least 30+ hours (making and breaking cities is fun). Thankfully they're starting to reactivate features to get the game to where it should have been at launch. Plus we got another free game out of it, not a great selection but at least they have some inkling as to what kind of disaster this was.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
They may have gotten my sale this time, but I will never purchase a game through Origin again, I already uninstalled SimCity as well as Origin

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
"54% of players opted to download the game"

Well ya. When the game has DRM whats the point in buying the hard copy? It's not like you can play it offline or when the servers are shut down because you have the disc. Might as well just download it.

For the record, it is a great game and those claiming otherwise clearly don't like the series or have never played the new one. It's just a couple patches from being amazing but what game isn't? Complain all you want about the bad launch but it's working now and fun to play.

cjmcgee

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Despite all the server issues, If it was available on steam I would have bought it already. Origin is a bigger turn off for me then the always-on server issues.

Fabel

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
I really really want this game, sadly always on + online savegames are not acceptable to me. And that puts the last nail in the coffin for Origin/EA, I won't be getting any game for that platform.

In the last 10 years I got 50-60 games, did not pirate a single one since I started purchasing them.
I don't want always on, limited installations or free to play with microtransactions crap.

I got money to spend on games but it's getting harder to find games to spend the money on.

Guess what is going to gonna happen if someone can crack -with savegames- Simcity.

Now if they bring it to Steam with no extra DRM, no Origin and with local savegames they can have my money on it, and whatever DLCs/expansions come after it.

There are dozens of games on steam that I don't buy simply because 3rd party DRM. Made that mistake a couple times, not anymore.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Lets relook at those number shall we. 1.1 million sold. I am going to guess a tad few of those were pre-orders. But the real issue on how bad 1.1 million sold is the record setting concurrent Origin connections at only 1.3 million!? Soo only 200k people play Origin based games before Simcity? Origin has more then just Simcity under its Draconian DRM scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.