[SOLVED] Determining if a used power supply is faulty?

Pezza349

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
I recently bought a used power supply, a Corsair TX650M. I wanted to test if it was faulty so I looked online and found a forum recommending to run the OCCT PSU test for 20 - 30 minutes to test for stability. When I ran the test for the first two times I got some hard crashes and reboots but I realised that I’d overclocked my gpu and undervolted my cpu so I restored both of those parts to their default values. When I ran the test for the 3rd time successfully for 30 minutes I didn't get any hard crashes/reboots but the screen flickered black every few minutes. Since the system didn't reboot during the test can I assume that the PSU is ok? I’m guessing that the black screen flickers are a gpu issue but I’m not sure. If someone with experience with OCCT who knows what the black screen flickers might be caused by could let me know I’d really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Also, I stress tested the CPU with Prime95, smallFFT with 12 threads for 8 hours at the undervolted setting I had at 1.15V, the system didn't reboot and I didn't notice any black screen flickers (although I was in and out of the room during that 8 hour period). The temperature at that setting went as high as 84C but stabilised at 80C. I haven't stress tested the GPU or RAM recently.

Edit: Sorry I forgot to add in my relevant system specifications
CPU: i7 8700
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB)
MB: z370 Extreme 4
GPU: Galax EXOC GTX1070Ti
PSU: Corsair TX650M

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, I figured it out. I had an RX 570 that I tested out in the system and when I ran the same test on it there were no black screen flashes so I guess it was a GPU issue.

Pezza349

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Ok, I figured it out. I had an RX 570 that I tested out in the system and when I ran the same test on it there were no black screen flashes so I guess it was a GPU issue.

Solution