Deus Ex, faulty graphic optimization?

eden

Champion
Is it possible that the awesome FPS game Deus Ex, being not advanced anymore in graphics, be draining a GF3 Ti200??
I don't beleive it, especially since many time there are no movements, but just far scenery in a city.
Besides that when there are action scenes with over 8 enemies or mix of allies and enemies, there is a lot of frame skip, even though the textures and all the polygons are really below average and I had seen many games with 10 times the complexity and they would not stutter once. Take Medal OH AA, you play with over 10 in the screen at max settings and not one stutter. Take D EX and you get so much and the AI is really dumb anyway!
Do you think it's really draining the power or is it really the game's faulty coding or lack of patching for bugs?
I do not beleive it is intentionally frame skipping because like I said, even a GF2 MX could be enough at times back in 2000 when it came out. Please try the game to tell me!

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

eden

Champion
Hmm so this IS weird.
You tried the game well enough?
There are moments when looking high atop from the Statue on Liberty Island, or when in a scene with 9 enemies, it gets really laggy for no reason.
Have you maxed all settings? I have and run on 800*600. Still odd though... I have more than the required system so it should not be doing this... but then again it was on my uncle's P4 1.7GHZ with 256RD and GF3 back then, but it was very stuttery on his which I beleive was a driver problem. Now it seems frame skipping at moments where you wouldn't expect a top card to have this.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

eden

Champion
Ya I think so, I have the MP patch, but it doesn't seem to have a single-player patch that explains anything that it might fix.
Do you know where to DL such? The Deus ex website has the MP patch only, and it really had no change whether before or after.
Hell with Quincunx or 4X which is smooth, when standing in front of an object or a computer and the aim frame moves, everything lags! I can't believe that standing in front of a low-polygon thing with a moving frame target actually lags! This is faulty code at its best!

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Doesn't lag at all for me, even w/ quincux in any moments (eyes, I have ample experience w/ the game- I have beaten it a few times). Have u beat it yet. Even if u have that wierd frame stuff, it's worth it.....it's one of the best games I ever played...probably the best.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

Dani_mq

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Its actually a new dll, dont remember where i got it, with out it the game was barey playable in my system, do a search or something

eden

Champion
Ya I know, it is definitly an awesome game but why the hell is the AI so dumb!
My god it's either cuz I'm playing in Medium Diff, and shoulda put Realistic instead, or that something is also wrong. I doubt my AXP cannot give some challenging AI scripts! Sometimes they run on walls, or don't notice me near them, or start running in circles!
Also did you try various roads in each time you played it? If so then indeed the game has huge replayability. I'm currently playing it and am at the Hell's Kitchen Warehouse.
If someone has that DLL or patch please help me out!

--

eden

Champion
Hey I've found the file, it's D3DDRV.DLL.
But I can't DL it.
Also they claimed they had fixed the stutters and bad performance in the new patch 1.12fm, but I have it and nothing happened! What should I do? If someone has the performance fix please send it!
The single player patch will not install on account it updates a different version...

--