Deus Ex: Human Revolution Performance Analysis

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d3adp0ol

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I'm using a 2gb 6950 that's been BIOS unlocked and overclocked to perform like the 6970 with 6gb of ddr2 but it's severely hindered by my Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.4ghz. I'm only getting an avg of 35 fps and changing the graphics settings makes zero difference. Any suggestions as to what settings I can change? Going to try overclocking my CPU back to 3.0ghz again and see if that helps.

With the emphasis appearing to be on the story rather than the combat, and the RPG aspects, even I may try this one. My GTX560Ti seems to have taken sick, but having to use my GTX460 doesn't look like it will be a hardship at all.

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Intel Core i5-2500K (Sandy Bridge) Overclocked to 4 GHzTOM's please start using standard rigs for testing games.[/citation]

What does that mean? You mean stock (read: shitty) speed?

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]d3adp0ol[/nom]I'm using a 2gb 6950 that's been BIOS unlocked and overclocked to perform like the 6970 with 6gb of ddr2 but it's severely hindered by my Core 2 Duo E6600 at 2.4ghz. I'm only getting an avg of 35 fps and changing the graphics settings makes zero difference. Any suggestions as to what settings I can change? Going to try overclocking my CPU back to 3.0ghz again and see if that helps.[/citation]

3.6GHz would be a strict minimum for a E6600.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]werner123[/nom]+1 I hate it when they use overclocked systems for analyzing gaming performance.[/citation]

What cause it's so hard to overclock? Right... also notice that they tested other CPU's too, or did you miss that?

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]MattMock[/nom]Checkout the steam hardware survey, about 24% are at or below 1280 x 1024. I think there are gamers using laptops or budget screens.[/citation]

Those users are probably playing Counter Strike though. That game is always near the top in online users.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Soma42[/nom]...Anywho, I didn't play the first two am I missing anything if I wanted to pick this up?[/citation]

No, it's a prequel so it's actually a great place to start the series. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]@ Don Woligroskii want the CPU benchmarks at 1080p with highest settings.benches at 1024x768 are irrelevant. the gamer of today is atleast 1680, preferable 1080.so please add to the benches. also, this would show the real impact of CPU on FPS.[/citation]

The point of the CPU benches tis to see the limits of the CPU, not the graphics card.

Even though it was taken at 1280x720, details were set to maximum. This should show you the limits of the CPU. If I raise the resolution, the GPU becomes more of a factor.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Jax69[/nom]Don't wanna be a fanboy but, i don't know, HardOCP found that the card to beat is the 6970, i rather trust them than Tom's.[/citation]

What's to trust? Unless they're using the exact same platform they'll get slightly different results. Who gives a damn about a few FPS here or there in real life?

Aside from that, it doesn't matter much what GPU you get for this game as long as it's at least a 5770 or GTX 550 Ti. A 6850 or 460 is plenty if you want it really smooth.

Anything more for Deus Ex is bragging rights for your e-penis, unless you're playing 2560x1600 or with unholy resolutions with Eyefinity/Surroundview.

I'm wondering why they used a pre-release AMD driver....I mean isn't that kinda unfair when the driver isn't even finished yet. Hell I had problems with 11.7 and had to go back to 11.6 and they are using 11.8??

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Are they saying that the game actually uses hyperthreading???[/citation]

We're saying the game uses multiple threads. If that's the case, it should show some benefit from HyperThreading, like any multi-threaded software.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Thanks for the review. Anyone has theory or opinion on why some of console ports, including this one, which is based on FPS element, is rather heavy on CPU.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Well, here's a big "I TOLD YOU SO!" to all "2600/2600K is useless overkill, drop down to i5-2500K!" advisers. HR is a light game, since even a 460 can max it out, and it won't benefit *a lot* from HT, but it's a start. Hopefully that will help my rig to last a bit longer when more games will start using HT.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]I'm wondering why they used a pre-release AMD driver....I mean isn't that kinda unfair when the driver isn't even finished yet. Hell I had problems with 11.7 and had to go back to 11.6 and they are using 11.8??[/citation]

Actually, the opposite is true. Newer pre-release drivers usually have better optimizations for new game titles. I would have used Nvidia's newest beta, but their WHQL came out after their last beta driver.

In any case, we used the newest offering for both Radeons and GeForces.

G

Can anyone explain why enabling Vsnyc causes massive mouse lag? (This is on a i5, 580 gtx, 3gig ram, win7, dx11 comp)

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]werner123[/nom]No, anybody can overclock but not everyone wants to or needs to. Anyway can't wait to get my hands on this game.[/citation]

Then don't buy a 2500K? ITS AN OVERCLOCKING CHIP. You pay a premium just for it to be UNLOCKED...

oldmangamer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
This article is an example of the excellence Tom's regularly applies to writing. Clear, concise, thorough and authoritative, leaving the cpu and graphics card squabbles to lesser sites, I understand what the author wanted to convey. Bravo!

Status
Not open for further replies.