[SOLVED] device drivers , chipset drivers , gpu drivers , all drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2022
what would happen If I would completly uninstall all drivers from my pc , like completely ? Is it safe for my components in pc? ( once I completely removed chipset drivers from my pc that even device menager wasnt showing them and there werent there ) so I am wondering if after this I reinstall chipset drivers nothing was damaged in my pc and like I said what would happane if I would completly uninstall all drivers from my pc , like completely ??

Solution
Adding a bit: the devices that go unrecognized with no device driver loaded will be identified in Device Manager with an orange triangle and a note "Unknown Device" so you should know some aren't getting a device driver loaded even if it's not so obvious which it is.

If you want default device drivers to load and be updated be sure to allow Windows Update to download device drivers; some people disable that. It may take a while for Windows Update to download and install the device driver so manually run an Update so it does.

The one device that may cause you problems is WiFi device driver as I'm not sure Windows bundles a default device driver for it. If you depend on WiFi and it can't make connection then obviously no device drivers...

Lutfij

Titan
What usually happens when you do a clean install of your OS(Windows 10 and above), the basic drivers tend to make things run at their max...or inefficiently. One instance is having an older generation platform with the latter OSes, they tend to make the GPU/iGPU run at near or at max making the cooling fan run at max and then to heat build up.

You're advised to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've sourced the drivers for your platform from device manufacturer's support site.

Simple answer, drivers are made to help the OS communicate with devices and as such operate efficiently, lack of that handshake will only result in an inefficient platform.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Adding a bit: the devices that go unrecognized with no device driver loaded will be identified in Device Manager with an orange triangle and a note "Unknown Device" so you should know some aren't getting a device driver loaded even if it's not so obvious which it is.

If you want default device drivers to load and be updated be sure to allow Windows Update to download device drivers; some people disable that. It may take a while for Windows Update to download and install the device driver so manually run an Update so it does.

The one device that may cause you problems is WiFi device driver as I'm not sure Windows bundles a default device driver for it. If you depend on WiFi and it can't make connection then obviously no device drivers can be downloaded including itself.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 24, 2022
What usually happens when you do a clean install of your OS(Windows 10 and above), the basic drivers tend to make things run at their max...or inefficiently. One instance is having an older generation platform with the latter OSes, they tend to make the GPU/iGPU run at near or at max making the cooling fan run at max and then to heat build up.

You're advised to manually install all relevant drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator, after you've sourced the drivers for your platform from device manufacturer's support site.

Simple answer, drivers are made to help the OS communicate with devices and as such operate efficiently, lack of that handshake will only result in an inefficient platform.

You mean that the lack of drivers will simply spoil the operating system in the worst case, but nothing other than system damage, for example, the computer will not be damaged and nothing will be physically touched, all you will need to do is reinstall the system ?

Jan 24, 2022
Drivers would be replaced with generic microsoft drivers.
Some devices may not be recognized/detected anymore (until drivers are reinstalled).
so uninstalling drivers for example some gpu, chipset , audio and other drivers is not going for 1000% hurt the pc but only OS which is not something serious becuause then I need to do a simple reinstallation of the os?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
You mean that the lack of drivers will simply spoil the operating system in the worst case, but nothing other than system damage, for example, the computer will not be damaged and nothing will be physically touched, all you will need to do is reinstall the system ?

Yes, not having basic, up to date drivers could totally bork your OS, but as mentioned above, the biggest risk (to your hardware) from not having them is things like the fans or GPU running at max speeds, which would probably lead to them getting damaged fairly quickly from excessive heat output...

Just remember, if the hardware didn't need drivers to function correctly, they would not need to be there to start with...

Wolfshadw

Titan
I thought we covered this two weeks ago...

-Wolf sends

Jan 24, 2022
Yes, not having basic, up to date drivers could totally bork your OS, but as mentioned above, the biggest risk (to your hardware) from not having them is things like the fans or GPU running at max speeds, which would probably lead to them getting damaged fairly quickly from excessive heat output...

Just remember, if the hardware didn't need drivers to function correctly, they would not need to be there to start with...
but if I am for example uninstalling gpu driver by DDU and then after restarting the pc MS is loading the basic driver ,does this driver work well and, for example, when I only have this ms basic driver installed, the card will not burn or be damaged?

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
As already mentioned, if the default driver makes the gpu (or it's fans) to run at or near their max potential, then yes it could cause damage and unnecessary wear & tear. Drivers from the card's mfgr will optimize it's operations, and also allow you to fine tune it's performance to whatever level you desire, but in a much more efficient way than the default windows drivers ever could.

Status
Not open for further replies.