Question Device Manager Refreshing Constantly Win10

audettejr6

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
BIOS UI is almost unusably slow and the system can take upward of a minute just to complete POST. Although Windows runs smoothly after that, I've noticed that Device Manager is constantly refreshing. USB notifications are constant as well, though none of my USB devices seem to be having any issues. No RGB failures, no lagging mouse, dropped keys, skipping audio or anything. I've seen several other threads here and on other forums (Reddit, Linus, etc.) indicating that this is the result of a defect around how Ryzen CPU's interact with USB. AMD issued a fix years ago (or at least that's what they've claimed), but I'm still having this issue and some sites have indicated that this is still a problem impacting 3000 and 5000-series CPU's. The steps I've taken thus far are below:

• Removed all USB devices except keyboard and mouse
  • Moved keyboard and mouse to different USB ports
  • Connected USB devices to powered USB hub
  • Uninstalled all USB devices in Device Manager
  • Disabled selective power off for all USB devices
  • Ensured all drivers are up to date
  • Ran SFC
  • Ran virus and malware scans
  • Disabled AV
  • Booted to Safe Mode (problem persists)
  • Disabled bluetooth
  • Disabled wifi
  • Disabled NVidia audio
  • Disabled SSDP service
  • Disabled all Xbox-related services
  • Re-installed Windows 10
  • Updated BIOS
System specs:

Ryzen 3600 (stock, no OC)
32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 CL16 (2x16GB)
ASrock B550M Pro4 (BIOS 2.50 AGESA 1.2.0.7)
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
EVGA FTW3 GeForce RTX 2080 TI (stock, no OC)
EVGA 750 B5 (3 years old)
Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS UI is almost unusably slow and the system can take upward of a minute just to complete POST.
You have one more BIOS update pending for your platform though, with that kind of set to the side, did you make sure to clear the CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to version 2.5?

Re-installed Windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Might want to see if you can source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 650W at your system's disposal from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue persists.

audettejr6

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
BIOS UI is almost unusably slow and the system can take upward of a minute just to complete POST.
You have one more BIOS update pending for your platform though, with that kind of set to the side, did you make sure to clear the CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS was successfully updated to version 2.5?

Re-installed Windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Might want to see if you can source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU with 650W at your system's disposal from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue persists.
Thanks for the reply. I did clear the CMOS and verified the installed BIOS. There is a beta bios (L2.62) available on ASrock's support page but 2.50 is the most recent non-beta available for this motherboard. The iso installer came from Microsoft's site using their media creation tool. I don't have another PSU on-hand but could probably acquire one.

audettejr6

Honorable
Aug 14, 2017
Update to this. Power supply swap with a new (test) unit had no impact. I've moved all USB devices off the mainboard and onto self-powered hubs. That didn't change anything either, but my cable management is nicer so I'm keeping it that way.

All USB devices are working normally and don't seem to be impacted by the behavior I'm seeing in Device Manager.