Devices changed ( cpu or memory) or cmos have been cleared. Please enter setup to configure your system.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I just have finished building my new gaming pc with an msg b350 motherboard, ryzen 5 1600x, Gskill ddr4 series 3200 MHz ram, Smith Radeon armour 8gb graphics card. The first time i set it up everything was ok and it showed my cpu and ram. But now it onl shows the message “Devices changed ( cpu or memory) or cmos have been cleared. Please enter setup to configure your system.”
Press f1 to run setup
Press f2 to load default values and continue.
When i pres f1 or f2 nothing happens.?
Am using a wireless Bluetooth i have tested it with my iPad and it works fine.

Could it be the keyboard not connecting properly coz it’s Bluetooth and i haven’t set it up or am i looking at bigger problem. I need to know wats wrong so that i can return any items if they are faulty as i bought everything new.

Can you please help me here.

Thanx

Solution
I would go with the best micro ATX board Asrock B450M Pro4

Since you prefer ATX, I would go with the MSI B450 Tomahawk and the 2nd option the ASRock B450 PRO4
The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon if you could get it for 100 or less.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Asrock technical team seem to have a different opinion:
Asrock reply:
Hello Fahd,

Try the memory in one slot, because I had a similar issue on AB350 board, and it turned out that there was a problem with the memory module.
But I think it's the combination of the memory controller and the chips on the memory module.
When 2666MHz runs fine, then set it to 1.200V and use that speed, or send back the memory and ask for a new kit.
Memory manufacturers buy the actual chips on the modules from companies like Samsung, Micron, Elpida, Hynix, Nanya or other companies.
But since the introduction of DDR4 there has been a shortage on these chips so manufacturers use everything they can lay their hands on, without changing partnumbers.
So one week you buy a kit and it contains Samsung chips, next week you buy exactly the same kit and it has Hynix or other brand chips.
It even happens that one batch uses 256MB chips, and the new one uses 512MB or even 1GB chips.
On this board we tested 203 different kits, and on some boards, even more than a 1000 kits, still every day we get mails from people saying their kit is not on the QVL.
The QVL is only what we were able to test, and sometimes we even remove memory from the list, because we find the new batches don't work at all.

And honestly, anything above the internal memory controller speed, doesn't do anything for the overall performance of your system, only a synthetic benchmark program will show better results, but your system will not perform any faster, there is no difference in overall performance between 2666MHz and 3200MHz.

I know a lot of reviews say something different, but they don't compare the proper speeds.
Like in this case, Jedec profile that is loaded with automatic detection, is 2133
XMP profile is 3200
Your CPU's memory controller speed is 2666MHz
So what most reviewers do, is, they compare JEDEC speed to XMP and then say XMP is much faster, of course it is faster when you underclock the memory 2 steps 2400>> 2133, and compare it to overclocked memory, it would be a real surprise if there wouldn't be a big difference.
However they should compare 2666 (the real memory controller speed) with 3200, and then there is no difference in overall performance, and a memory benchmark doesn't test overall system performance.
So in your case 2666MHz is really the best speed, and when it runs stable on 1.200V it is best to use that setting.

I have been building PCs since 1992 and component manufacturer's blame each other when things go awry.
If you contact the RAM manufacturer they will have a opinion that might differ in some way that of ASRock.

By the way, there is nothing on that response that suggest the RAM is faulty. That RAM chip was program for Intel even before Ryzen was released.

What they say about RAM manufacturers using different chips with the same model number, does not have anything to do with your issue and that has been going on since I remember. That's why is not recommended to mix different RAM kits that weren't tested to work together.

From the start, when you posted the RAM model, I knew it wouldn't run at 3200MHz on Ryzen...and if it did, it would require some major tweaking.
On G.Skill website you will see that your RAM was "Programmed for the latest Intel platform...). Furthermore they list ONLY Intel motherboards. They didn't list any AMD motherboard before or after Ruzen.

ASRock stated what I have already told you "synthetic benchmark program will show better results, but your system will not perform any faster, there is no difference in overall performance between 2666MHz and 3200MHz".

I do not see a problem, if your 3200MHz RAM, programmed exclusively for Intel, works on Ryzen. at 2933MHz without issues.