Diablo 3 Auction House Re-Dated; Dev Questions DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, after 10 yrs in the making this game is a bit disappointing and the always on connection just ruins it for me. I can't stand games like this that require that connection to play the solo game.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This doesn't even talk about the glut of DLC's which have cause developers to deliver half done games and then flesh out the games with DLC the customer has to pay for which increases the cost of the games dramatically.

This whole argument about piracy is also dubious. For the record, I have never downloaded and played a game that was pirated. I value my computer too much to take the risk and to be perfectly honest, I don't want to play a game I don't pay for. That disclaimer aside, I have yet to see hard evidence that piracy does indeed affect sales that much. For one thing, they have to prove that someone who downloads a pirated copy would have bought it to begin with and there is no possible way to prove that. If someone plays a pirated Diablo 2 but they wouldn't have bought it anyway, Blizzard is out no money. I'm not saying it's right that the person pirated it, I'm just pointing out the fallacy of the argument.

I've also seen articles where they have supposedly surveyed those who do download pirated game and many of them say they use it as demos to know whether or not to buy it. I have no idea if that's true or not, there is no way to prove that either, but there is some logic to it. Many games don't have a demo, or a demo good enough to make a judgement about a game, so I can see the rationale.

I also do not believe for one moment that D3's online DRM is to prevent piracy. I believe the RMAH is the sole reason it's there. Initally we were told that they didn't want people duping or hacking items locally then placing them on the RMAH. But when they recently announced that there will be global play, but that items dropped not in your home region would not be able to go on the RMAH. Well, if they can prevent that, it would be very simple to code items in a local client to have certain tags that would make it impossible to place on the RMAH. If you can't access the server controlled items, there would be no way to know what tags would be needed to properly hack a locally dropped item.

But someone who were to play D3 offline is a lot less likely to use the RMAH which means Activision Blizzard is out the transaction fee of these potential non sales so to speak. But if everyone has to play online where the server controls the drop rate which can be adjusted at any time by Blizzard, then the single player has to compete with the botters and farmers for the server controlled drops making it more likely a person will be tempted to use the RMAH to get an item they need.

Honestly, the developers are doing more damage to gaming than pirates ever could.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom] ... [/citation]
Long story short, they should have made Diablo 3 like Diablo 2: everything is Battle.net, but you can create a local character to play offline, but it will never (ever) enter an online world.

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]This doesn't even talk about the glut of DLC's which have cause developers to deliver half done games and then flesh out the games with DLC the customer has to pay for which increases the cost of the games dramatically.This whole argument about piracy is also dubious. For the record, I have never downloaded and played a game that was pirated. I value my computer too much to take the risk and to be perfectly honest, I don't want to play a game I don't pay for. That disclaimer aside, I have yet to see hard evidence that piracy does indeed affect sales that much. For one thing, they have to prove that someone who downloads a pirated copy would have bought it to begin with and there is no possible way to prove that. If someone plays a pirated Diablo 2 but they wouldn't have bought it anyway, Blizzard is out no money. I'm not saying it's right that the person pirated it, I'm just pointing out the fallacy of the argument.I've also seen articles where they have supposedly surveyed those who do download pirated game and many of them say they use it as demos to know whether or not to buy it. I have no idea if that's true or not, there is no way to prove that either, but there is some logic to it. Many games don't have a demo, or a demo good enough to make a judgement about a game, so I can see the rationale.I also do not believe for one moment that D3's online DRM is to prevent piracy. I believe the RMAH is the sole reason it's there. Initally we were told that they didn't want people duping or hacking items locally then placing them on the RMAH. But when they recently announced that there will be global play, but that items dropped not in your home region would not be able to go on the RMAH. Well, if they can prevent that, it would be very simple to code items in a local client to have certain tags that would make it impossible to place on the RMAH. If you can't access the server controlled items, there would be no way to know what tags would be needed to properly hack a locally dropped item.But someone who were to play D3 offline is a lot less likely to use the RMAH which means Activision Blizzard is out the transaction fee of these potential non sales so to speak. But if everyone has to play online where the server controls the drop rate which can be adjusted at any time by Blizzard, then the single player has to compete with the botters and farmers for the server controlled drops making it more likely a person will be tempted to use the RMAH to get an item they need.Honestly, the developers are doing more damage to gaming than pirates ever could.[/citation]

I very much agree with you, sir.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]salgado18[/nom]Long story short, they should have made Diablo 3 like Diablo 2: everything is Battle.net, but you can create a local character to play offline, but it will never (ever) enter an online world.[/citation]
That would have probably created more sales, but would have hurt the RMAH which I think Activision Blizzard believes will give them greater profit down the road.

I'm not saying I agree with that reason, I much more agree with you as that would create more choice.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
torchlight 2 anyone?
or even titan quest?

the only other games i know of new that are rougelikes either are to rouge like to go mainstream or free to play, and that is a wait and see proposition.

ghostsoldier

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
After reading about the online-only play, I'm not going to be buying this. I already stopped playing WoW because of connection problems.

Torchlight 2 anyone?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I'm enjoying Diablo 3 very much so far. I've only had a couple play sessions and am only at level 7, but I've been able to log in and play without issue, aside from a little latency here and there.

Is it ideal? No, but we should expect they'll fix the issues because with a game this big they're not going to just let it wither. This whole launch scenario should set an example that it's best to keep single player single, and completely separate of multiplayer.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
The sad thing is even though I haven't been having any issues as of yet with D3. The increased latency is going to take until the player base drops off to go down. 300ms+ is not fun when things can 1 shot you.

Yeah I do know its not me, its under 66ms in the late night/early morning.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Don't worry. This sort of draconian DRM will be on the next generation of consoles. It's harming PC gaming simply because it's cheaper and easier to implement on PC. We PC gamers get to be the guinea pigs. Soon all gamers will face the same horrendous DRM requirements. It's only a matter of time. I'll spend my PC gaming dollars on companies who don't treat me like a pirate. Hell, I've been spending my time creating a PC game and will not treat my customers remotely near as poorly as Blizzard has with Diablo 3. The dinosaur developers and publishers are in trouble here, not the smaller operations.

lordcrazex

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
It's almost as if the company is saying,

"sure, we'll take your money, but there's no guarantee you can play it. It can't even be pirated."

bull's eye.....!

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
i too grin that the last paragraph.

Console owners grinning over the Diablo 3 woes will get their own troubles soon thanks to the coming tide of digital rights management, subscription services and used game prohibitions. Sounds like just another day on the PC platform.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]Im kinda disappointed with Diablo 3. Not as good as i thought it would be. Good thing im only on the Guest pass, saved me $60[/citation]

Well , the game is very good , leave the DRM alone now , But the game is AWSOME!!
With the Guest pass you dont even reach 20% of the game...

The fun start after act 1.

Zeppelingcdm

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Ya I almost agree the real fun starts in Nightmare. As for all the haters, most of you haven't even played the game. Probably just jumping in on the troll bandwagon. I've played several times since the launch (logged on at 11:59 :)) It seems that everyone just wants to flame this game whether they've played it or not. Lots of game have rough starts. I'll probably never enter the RMAH but the gold driven one is a real nice addition. The game is awesome, a really well done progression from D2 and no matter how much you bitch, it's not going anywhere for a long, long time :D

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
My friend gave me his account. It gets boring, pretty dull.. fast. So if you want to buy this game, please don't do this to yourself. Ask a friend of yours (one account got 10 slots), or just get a guest pass. Seriously, don't jump the hype wagon.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the game has already been cracked with working server emulators, meaning while legit customers were struggling over server/DRM issues, people with the pirated copy were enjoying a full and consistent single player experience.

Great work blizzard, by annoying your paying customers (possibly for the life of the game), you managed to prevent the game from being pirated for a little over 1 day.

Get rid of the DRM and more people will buy the games, there will always be people who pirate the games and those who pay for it.

Do you really think that the millions of people who buy games, don't know about pirated copies. This is nothing new and there is nothing complex about it. People who want to buy the game will buy it, especially if it is a good game

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I find it funny that people expected anythimg different from blizzard. They don't have anything that other companies don't do better.

CoH, Sup Com, Total war and Civ are all technologically more advanced and have far better gameplay then SC2 and WC3.

Just about every AAA mmo title that's ever come out has been better then WOW.

D3 follows suit, as TES SERIES, Torch light 2 and just about every other modern RPG haa been far more interesting then D3.

Terrible graphics, simplistic character customization, boring gameplay, horrible voice acting and a Zzz fest of a story... 12 years and all they could give us is this trash? Then combine all that with the DRM nonsense and lauch bugs.

Pathetic.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
If its that bad, and DRM isnt your thing, and you didnt buy the game, Why in hell do you keep posting comments in forums and websites?! i dont get it,
I used to like Red orchestra 2 and played the beta, and DEFENDED it againts people who did dislike it, but after launch it wasnt good at all ( didnt improve much ), I didnt go to forums and websites and write how bad is it and bash everyone.
If you dont like it , dont get us a headache !
Realy... why even bother, you dont like it, dont follow its news, or comment.
Now give me a dislike, this is what you guys(The people who i talked about) can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.