Diablo 3 Beta Weekend Reached 300,000 Concurrent Players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

lame RPG -- they took out the ability to hostile at random. I buy a game to do whatever i want, not to be carebeared into arenas.

G

Well i am glad you all could play the game. I could not even get it to install. Tried everything the forums had to offer to get it installed but it would just hang trying to update the setup files! :-(

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I am still playing closed beta, one thing I noticed that we disperatly need is ignore option in chat channel, also I don't want others to follow me and stalk me where ever I go, I noticed you can add people to your list of friends without making a request.
Over all the game is better than expected, the RMAH is going to a fun way to sell my loots, no more boting meph runs :( .

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I had fun actually. Got my mage to lv12, monk to 10 and barbarian to lv8. I didn't like the pansy a$s witch doctor. The demon hunter (or assassin/archer whatever) is fine.

dmitche3

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Not ready for primetime as three installation failures I learned not to waste any further time and not to waste money on it for at least the first year until they work out the bugs.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]superfula[/nom]Of course it's an RPG. To be more specific, an ARPG[/citation]

If its RPG then, how character development can impact your gameplay? Where your decisions can make impact to game? In that case Warcraft 3 is an RPG? because hey, you do quests there, you can get gear, get levels then it is an RPG.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I have closed beta so was able to play prior to the open beta. That said, my buddy and I couldn't get in Saturday evening when we were planning on playing. We gave up after 20-30 minutes and said F it to go play something else. It did work again at like 2-3am. The beta has been fun. I am looking forward to the full version and all the extra content. Leveling, Gear farming woooohoooo! I have requested the 15-17th off from work.

rdzona

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
[citation][nom]Slomo4shO[/nom]Playing the tutorial level really isn't much of an indicator of difficulty.[/citation]

That wasn't just a "tutorial level" That was the actual game. It was actual content from Act I.

markdj

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
never able to login, will probably never play this since i didn't get the chance to try it out and there's too many other games that i know are good to be playing

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
This was one of my anticipated games, played the beta, left disappointed. Didn't like they things they took out, and didn't like the things they replaced it with. At first I was going to pre-order or get at launch, now I'm just going to wait and see, than decide later.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]kategra84[/nom]Diablo 3 - the RPG for teenages. Way too easy, just click click. I didn't even use a healing potion, i got bored by the time i reached lvl 6. Great music, but way to much colour and glitter! No story, no credible characters, kids will love it.[/citation]

Wait, are you talking about MW3 or Diablo 3? I couldn't tell the difference from your vague description.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I got 20 minutes into the game, and then my session was "terminated." Tried for over an hour to get back on and was greeted with nothing but "300025" (or whatever) errors. Of all the people who tried it, I had not heard of anyone else kicked off once I got on. Hopefully I won't encounter this during single-player play with the retail version, but with my luck, I expect it.

G

For everyone moaning about the server issues, you do realise that all these people were trying to connect only on the American servers. There are another 2 regions that will open on release day. 300,000 people playing at the same time on one set of servers during a test weekend. You will have issues. They will be raising and lowering caps. They will be forcing us to copy paste passwords to ensure we don't completely crash the servers. I don't quite understand what people are expecting from what Blizzard freely admitted was a stress test.

In terms of gameplay, I had mixed feelings. Part of me liked that I couldn't nerf a character by putting my skill points into the wrong place (goddamn skeleton mages), but I did like those crazy builds you could get with full customisation. Although I think in the long run it'll add up to a lot more variety in builds as a lot more combinations should work. I liked the random generator adding more places to explore on each playthrough, keeping me interested when otherwise I'd have been bored a long time ago. The crafting system is like a much better gambling system. It has had no effect on my pre-order status (which I can't wait for).

Overall, I'm not worried about bugs, login issues, server crashes or anything like that when it releases. A game involving 4 different classes and 4 different people should have no problems given their experience with WoW. And if it does, I shall eat the DVD.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
No, you took it literally.
He meant that the difficulty level of the Normal mode is for the wider audience. Yet, all games are in their normal or default difficulties.

[citation][nom]rdzona[/nom]That wasn't just a "tutorial level" That was the actual game. It was actual content from Act I.[/citation]

surrenderz

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I can't believe some of judge a game so quickly, especially a Diablo game.

How's this for you, what if you had to beta test Diablo 2 and the end of the beta was Blood Raven. Would you be satisfied? I doubt it, the game picks up later in the game. You played like a fifth of an act.

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Has anyone got any points to argue about the outcome of the open beta, those that played i mean. Whats good about the game play and whats not? Other than connection issues I want to know about the game play, graphics etc?

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
diablo has always been a click fest, diablo never had the best graphics, diablo has always been a hack and slash. can't wait for may 15th.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]michalmierzwa[/nom]Has anyone got any points to argue about the outcome of the open beta, those that played i mean. Whats good about the game play and whats not? Other than connection issues I want to know about the game play, graphics etc?[/citation]

been playing closed beta for a month and so far so good. haven't been disconnected once. common issue with the open beta was being unable to log in. it took me 4 to 6 tries before being able to log in. once connected it was smooth sailing. gameplay is classic diablo. hack and slash and looking forward to loots. random elite/special mobs, random caves and dungeons/cellars. there were also random quests that i found which is a nice touch. graphics is nothing special. it's not crappy nor awesome. one major problem i had is with the skill tree UI. it's clunky for me. i just want to stab jay wilson in the face because of that UI design.

can't wait for the official launch.

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
[citation][nom]Flying-Q[/nom]I'm no spring chicken and I enjoyed it. having seen pre-view vids I thought the graphics would be too cluttered but was happily proved wrong. Once I had played it through several times I noticed certain musical elements and game content changed as achievements were reached. Subtle reminders of DII appeared after the 4th run through.I found blue magical items too frequently for early game and the mobs were a bit weak, but then so was DII in the earliest levels. The lack of damage numbers on the abilities was annoying so choosing which runes to use was haphazard at best.Overall, allowing for the friday night saturday server disconnections it was a good test.Q[/citation]

When it came to choosing runes, the skill calculator was a lifesaver. Has everything the actual game is missing in terms of numbers etc.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

f-14

Distinguished
if they had LAN play this wouldn't have been a problem.
what would piss you off the most?
buying a $60 game and not being able to play it when ever you wanted where ever you wanted
that was my first exact thought when i tried to play on saturday & sunday and was getting all the error messages, and that the servers were down, or that they were full.
i have seen so much of that on the free 2 play online games i'm done with online only gaming.
and they wonder why pc sales and pc gaming are declining!

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]michalmierzwa[/nom]Has anyone got any points to argue about the outcome of the open beta, those that played i mean. Whats good about the game play and whats not? Other than connection issues I want to know about the game play, graphics etc?[/citation]
graphics were updated with alot of glitz, but still seems very much like diablo2, the music was almost the same if it wasn't exactly the same. the play was fun, but you can tell this is a beta. i never found so much magical item stuff as i did in 3 days as i had in 3 weeks in D2. i liked the class attacks.
the beta also forced you into a team when other players came across you. and wouldn't let you advance if some one went afk or if you went afk to use the bathroom you would come back to find an objective was finished and you didn't get to enjoy that part unless you logged out and selected a prior point in the game.
i can't really judge it based on it's forced beta structure of things blizzard wanted to test out with out giving away part of the real game itself, which they didn't.
i would over all have to say expect d2 graphics smoothed out and effects updated and some what better detail. the spawns and teleporting still lag the game like it did before on the old p2's and p3's and 16/32mb voodoo or savage 4 video cards.
the online beta was 5.1GB d/l so expect a min. 20GB game install.
i tested it out on my brothers 2006 hp vista 64 bit dual core e2200 800mhz 4GBram with an ati3850 512mb vid card and it ran fine and the fans only spun up to maybe 1/2 throttle when the bigger fights with all the mobs and effects were going on. when in a team there was some stuttering only a few times in those fights as it looked like the servers were lagging.
i did not like the achievement based skill set. too MW'ish.i liked the d2 skill set where you could assign more points to skills for more dmg or assing points to new skills rather than unlocking a new skill mw style.
again it's just a beta and it's hard to judge a beta as it's only pieces of a finished product and alot of the features were from an older product in order to save time space and money for only a test.
it was enjoyable and i did get the fever to play more.

f-14

Distinguished
when should we start the betting pool of how long it takes some one to pirate and crack and hack the game and create their own private servers, like is done with ALL other online only games?

Status
Not open for further replies.