Diablo 3 Closed Beta Hands-On: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
It's going to get real annoying to have to be locked out of a single player game you bought just because some company's servers are down.

Looks like the Diablo stylke is intact.

Who the hell uses oem drivers? I've always used nVidia or AMD drivers for my video chips, mobile or no. Even the generic WIN7 update drivers are better than using old, outdated oem crap. You must use the disc drivers when you do a fresh install too. :S

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Isn't it generally in the TOS when it comes to closed beta's that you agree not to post pictures, game-play videos, or state experiences or opinions?
Unless Diablo 3 is a rare exception to this?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Isn't it generally in the TOS when it comes to closed beta's that you agree not to post pictures, game-play videos, or state experiences or opinions?Unless Diablo 3 is a rare exception to this?[/citation]
... I'm guessing this is an exception. There are a lot of videos, images, and first impressions already posted online.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Isn't it generally in the TOS when it comes to closed beta's that you agree not to post pictures, game-play videos, or state experiences or opinions?Unless Diablo 3 is a rare exception to this?[/citation]
Blizzard has openly stated that there are no non-disclosure agreements enforced with D3, and everything in the public beta can be shared. But usually, with betas, most companies do have an NDA you have to agree to. :)

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Constant Internet Connection = prevent hacking. Thats the only reason why Blizzard wants fulltime internet connection. Of course there will be pirate servers, but this way the majority will buy the game. The game can be patched like wow, during game play or before starting the game.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Single with on-line sucks, sorry but that is so stupid it is like a car on chain ... If it stay this way, i will not buy it. They only help pirates to earn with this. Sure as hell there will be whole lot of cracks for D III.
Only legal buyers will be in trouble ...

G

Unfortunately, having this game be online to play does not mean it wont be hacked. I've played lots of online games that have an abundance of cheaters. Nice try Blizzard, but your not going to stop the hackers. And you wont be getting my money for this game.

I said it on another article about D3, but as much as I've eagerly waited for this game, I will pass until I can play it in single-player mode without an internet connection. Sorry Blizzard, you don't get my money until you sell what I want.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]What's going to happen if I use a crack to play the game offline, considering I bought the game?[/citation]
[citation][nom]sten_gn[/nom]Single with on-line sucks, sorry but that is so stupid it is like a car on chain ... If it stay this way, i will not buy it. They only help pirates to earn with this. Sure as hell there will be whole lot of cracks for D III.Only legal buyers will be in trouble ...[/citation]

You can't "crack" Diablo 3. The files needed to play it aren't stored locally. You'd have to emulate a server on your computer (create your own private server, like with WoW), and then connect to it.

This wont completely completely stop piracy, but it will stop the vast majority of it.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Seriously, enough with the complaining about the online requirement. It's a non issue unless you are way out in the sticks on dial up. My guess is that if you are on dial up you are not on these boards complaining as it takes 5 minutes to load the main page via dial up...

This is in the best interest of the players. Blizzard has nothing to gain by keeping all of its players connected to them. It costs them to do so. With the RMAH and heck, even the gold AH, they need to be extra vigilant to keep hacks & dupes out of this game. This constant connection system help with this tremendously. Now that there is money involved there is incentive to nab the few offenders that wish to press their luck and they will be dealt with swiftly(hopefully) before they can do too much damage. I'll take constant connection over constant roll backs any day.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Sashmo99[/nom]Post a video dude![/citation]

ForceStrategy has Let's Play videos on his youtube channel. Or look at any various streaming sites, twitch.tv, justin.tv, livestream, etc.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well the online play doesn't bother me now because I have high speed internet, but last year I was living in rural Alaska and while I had "DSL" my actual download speed was .... and I am not making this up..... right around 14kbs......

Crazy I know... but the town had "shared" satellite set up by the phone company.

Anyway I still managed to post on Toms, read Toms, and even talk about a few of the articles posted here at work. But as for playing online games.... didn't happen.

The fact is that rural portions of the USA are still WAY behind when it comes to technology and this is not the fault of the people who live there, but rather the corporations and governments which have failed them.

toxin440

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
How ironic things happen -- the only reason I was heavily into Diablo 2 was due to the fact that it was the only game I could play via our craptastic dialup modem 33.6 back in the day.

Full circle it seems to today where my apartment is serviced by AT&T *ONLY* who is highly unreliable.

I fail to see how Diablo 3 can possibly be worth the 60 dollars they are asking for it. In effect you don't own it, you are just renting it, all while being at the whim of their servers.

It's been proven for 30 years, you can't stop pirates. All they are doing is pissing off people who yearn to buy this game. I'm all for online checks/keys/registration... because I do hate the hackers who destroy the online play aspect. However to the casual cheap ass who wants to play single player only, he's not going to shell out 60 bucks for something designed from the ground up to slap him in the face the instant he wants to use his PROPERTY.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Looks like the Diablo stylke is intact.Who the hell uses oem drivers? I've always used nVidia or AMD drivers for my video chips, mobile or no. Even the generic WIN7 update drivers are better than using old, outdated oem crap. You must use the disc drivers when you do a fresh install too. :S[/citation]
My mother has a Acer gaming laptop. With OEM drivers, it's slow but useable. With the latest Nvidia drivers, it overheats in only 1 minute of use, and does a thermal shutdown. I've found no way of manual fan control.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Looks like the Diablo stylke is intact.Who the hell uses oem drivers? I've always used nVidia or AMD drivers for my video chips, mobile or no. Even the generic WIN7 update drivers are better than using old, outdated oem crap. You must use the disc drivers when you do a fresh install too. :S[/citation]

ATI and Nvidia don't provide drivers for their older mobile cards, at all. So using oem drivers is your only option if the system is a few years old. And windows won't find newer drivers if they don't exist.

Sashmo99

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
To everyone complaining about no 'offline' mode.

Blizzard did their homework. They decided long ago - if you don't want to pay the price because you can't play offline they are willing to lose you as a customer.

Your concerns may not be falling on 'dead ears' but they are certainly not going to change a decision made long ago.

Blizzard has proven time and time again that they make great games, and great decisions that consider their users first.

There is no 'one' to blame for this decision. It was a decision made given the current landscape of PC Gaming.

And I'm one to speak. Diablo I and II were some of my favorite titles. My only chance to play PC games these days is when I go on vacation to my gf's families vacation home where there is no internet or 3G.

theonlydz

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Sashmo99[/nom]To everyone complaining about no 'offline' mode.Blizzard did their homework. They decided long ago - if you don't want to pay the price because you can't play offline they are willing to lose you as a customer.Your concerns may not be falling on 'dead ears' but they are certainly not going to change a decision made long ago.Blizzard has proven time and time again that they make great games, and great decisions that consider their users first.There is no 'one' to blame for this decision. It was a decision made given the current landscape of PC Gaming.And I'm one to speak. Diablo I and II were some of my favorite titles. My only chance to play PC games these days is when I go on vacation to my gf's families vacation home where there is no internet or 3G.[/citation]

you're right.. and they didn't do this to prevent pirating, I'm sure diablo III will get hacked too somehow... They did it to prevent cheaters.. so you can't enable hacks in offline mode, duplicate items etc, then log in to the online world... remember people it has a REAL CASH Auction house.... you can't have people DUPING items and selling them for real-money.

Status
Not open for further replies.