Diablo 3: CPU bottlenecking (in relation to GPU)

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi, everyone,

I have the following system, and I'm trying to diagnose the issue.

In Act IV or other Acts with lots of action, it seems I get momentary pausing/stuttering and a hit to FPS.

I have:

C2D E7400
4GB DD2 RAM
EVGA GTX 560 SC 1 GB

On everything default 1920x1080, like I said, I get a hit in performance, but when I lowered Shadows and Physics, things improved.

Not really understanding the relation between GPU/CPU, I'm wondering if I were to upgrade my system to Intel i5, say, for this and other games, would things improve? I understand that Physics settings are linked to CPU, but are Shadows as well?

Thanks for the insight.

DW

Solution
Your pc exceeds the recommended requirements for D3:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Have you upgraded to the latest graphics drivers?

Based on your test, I think your best improvement would be a graphics upgrade.

But, To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor...
Your pc exceeds the recommended requirements for D3:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Have you upgraded to the latest graphics drivers?

Based on your test, I think your best improvement would be a graphics upgrade.

But, To help clarify your options, run these two tests:

a) Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.

Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
set to 50% and see how you do.

If your FPS drops significantly, it is an indicator that your cpu is the limiting factor, and a cpu upgrade is in order.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system, and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.

Solution

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Yes performance would improve since an i5 has better and more cores. Shadows and effects like particles use the cpu to help the gpu shade I believe. This is a reason things that seem to be graphical effects like post processing can hurt performance even if you have a good gpu like yours. Does your motherboard support overclocking?, you could probably get another year out of it if you take advantage of the feature. If your going to upgrade your best option would be to go to a AMD phenom ii x6/fx 6100 or an Intel I5 2500k.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

The 560 gtx is pushing an old dual core especially if it isn't overclocked. You'll need somewhere near the raw performance of a stock phenom ii x3 at minimum to not bottleneck that graphics card. This is a general estimate from my experience with the games I've played, every game is different so it isn't exact.

mubin

Distinguished

phenom ii x6/fx-6100 is good for one gtx560 but i5-2500k is good for two gtx560. So its better to get i5 if he want to SLI some day.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Making due with what you have, try going into the nvidia control panel under "manage 3d settings" and change the power management mode to performance. I think it defaults to optimized or something like that. I was getting major stuttering when a lot of things were happening on the screen until i changed this.

DW_2012

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I just got my new build the other day, and boy, what a difference. Just thought I would share for those who are curious.

Intel i5 3570K (Stock)
EVGA GTX 560 SC
8 GB RAM 1600

On default video settings, 1080p n Nightmare:

In the Highlands, (Covenant of the Witch mission) I get an average of 60 fps, with minimums of 51 fps.

Turns out the processor was the real bottleneck here.

Great stuff! Thanks!