Diablo III Performance, Benchmarked

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natethegreat8

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]@ caedenvAs the game is not very demanding.... how does this run on Intel HD 2k/3k/4k graphics?I found it very playable at low settings on my i5 2500k at 4.0ghz and the hd3000 oc to 1600 using 480mb of ram. It was usually around 25-30fps and wouldn't change much even if i did enable the "higher" settings like AA or high physics. There was however times when I could feel the slowness like when moving items around in the inventory for some reason, otherwise the gameplay felt pretty smooth which has made me wonder if I really should by a GPU lol![/citation]

Forgot to add I was playing at 1920x1080 resolution! Guess you might want to know that key information ;)

superfula

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
[citation][nom]jeber99[/nom]The benchmark article should state that it is benchmarking the diablo 3 beta...this is a little bit off if people expect this as an indication of the full game that isn't due out till next week. This is not a final indication of what the full game will look like and benchmark, since the full game will have more and higher graphics settings available than the beta.Looking forward to playing d3![/citation]

The full game will NOT have more and higher graphic settings available. Blizzard said this quite some time ago.

Blizzard has also said that the beta isn't optimized at all, so the final version WILL run smoother. A GPU may not run the beta at an acceptable fps but that doesn't preclude it from running the final version just fine.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]superfula[/nom]The full game will NOT have more and higher graphic settings available. Blizzard said this quite some time ago. Blizzard has also said that the beta isn't optimized at all, so the final version WILL run smoother. A GPU may not run the beta at an acceptable fps but that doesn't preclude it from running the final version just fine.[/citation]

Early beta wasn't optimized at all, bet the latest beta version is as close as you get from the final but without a doubt blizzard will optimize it further in patches

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]gam0reily[/nom]NYC! finally an awesome yet undemanding game![/citation]
so you have not been successful getting eyefinity to work on the beta version? Dang! Comeon game makers, triple monitor res's should be standard by now. Eyefinity with this game could be supercool, you could see ahead and behind farther out.

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]jonyah[/nom]I've been slowly upgrading my desktop over the last 6 months to get ready for this game (it was originally built 6 years ago). The only thing not upgraded when I got my D3 invite was my video card. I had a 4850, which actually did run the game ok at lowest settings (1680x1050, lower than my standard full hd res), though there was the occasional stutter. That gave me all I needed to go get the new HD 7850 (2gb), which chews through it at a max settings without any issues at 1920x1080. I can safely say I'm good to go with my pre-purchased and already downloaded D3!I will say that the beta did start to get a bit boring after doing the first act about 20 times, lol. I'm also quite excited to try out Torchlight 2 on my setup with eyefinity support (I have 3 24" lcds). I really wish D3 would support eyefinity.[/citation]

so you have not been successful getting eyefinity to work on the beta version? Dang! Comeon game makers, triple monitor res's should be standard by now. Eyefinity with this game could be supercool, you could see ahead and behind farther out.

Thrin

Honorable
May 5, 2012
My concern with this review is that they did not run it in any of the larger fights.

With nothing going on every experiences Diablo 3 in all of its glory.

In the larger events the game becomes CPU intensive. I dislike the review for implying that people with lower end CPUs will always experience incredible gameplay. They won't. The game will slow down and lag.

The game is still playable mind you. Blizzard has done a tremendous job at handling those situations but the game definitely slows down.

I would love to see this review's CPU section redone with 4 players in game and testing at the pillar event before the skeleton king. This event was the most CPU intensive part of the beta and a lot of people experienced slow downs. I would love to know what is the minimum CPU level required to prevent any slowdown during this event.

I suspect that as the game progresses there will be more events similar to it or even more complicated. As such, knowing how the game perform under load would be really useful.

G

This is a meaningless test.
First of all it doesn't really test the game in action with 4 players.
Second this is a beta. Blizzard has already stated on the bnet forum that there will be optimization in the final game.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4768327869

As per Blizzard agent:

"What you're experiencing is normal, for the beta client. It's (the beta client) not optimized for performance yet and won't be before the game goes live next month. "

Bottom line is this article is a joke.

pita

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I always feel the beta is not quite good enough to stress the hardware for hardware performance assessment. There will be different levels and different monsters that will affect the performance further, not to mention that with higher difficult levels there can be a lot more monsters around. Sorry to say this but this sounds more like an article trying to earn extra site visits from the anxious D3 fans than providing quality info on hardware performance.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]I played the Beta on my laptop.My laptop has an i5 with "Intel" graphics.As long as I set everything to low it ran fine.On my desktop I ran it as 1080p Maxed with AA.[/citation]

No ocasional stuttering?

NewJohnny

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
[citation][nom]geotek[/nom]Were any large fights present in the FPS recording? Because of the computers ive tested ive noticed computers with slower CPUs, especially dual cores, would get quite choppy during large fights and all the ragdolls flying everywhere. This problem seemed to either vanish or greatly diminish when physics were changed from high to low. Perhaps the physics are handled by the cpu? If so, this means the cpu testing results may not be a good measure of real world use of the game.[/citation]
The physics engine is a dual threaded engine called Domino, built in-house. It is cpu based and does not use cuda, physx or any other gpu acceleration.

A quad core cpu provides room for the OS, sound channels, directx, and physics engine.

I upgraded to an OCed i5 (4.5ghz) and gtx 560, and I can ALMOST maintain 60fps during the massive skeleton pillar fight. This involves at least 15 ragdolls with special effects. These benchmarks need to be updated after retail release, the numbers are misleading.

rglaredo

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I consider the 550ti (the Zotac one here) the bare minimum ...Since i have simple evga 550ti with a slight overclock ..I may need to either do an sli with another 550 or just reach deep in my pockets to get a 7850 or 560ti 448 ..at least ..to be sure i can play also GW2 ...still im going to give it a go with the 550 ti once its released since i don't really care about shadows lol ...I wish the 570 drop in price already ...

brennanmh

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I'm big on Tom's and build my own PCs. But, I mostly use my iMac:

2.93 Core i7
12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024MB running 27" display (2560 x 1440 max res)

What is a good comparative PC configuration?

When will Tom's include Macs when benchmarking games that run on the Mac?? Blizzard has a great policy of releasing both the PC and Mac versions at the same time, so the Mac version should be included in any benchmarks.

And please don't flame me because I prefer the Mac over a PC. I built a pretty bad ass PC, but I can't get my wife off of it for long enough to play games ;->. I've only been able to play Skyrim once so far.

AntaresX

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2012
[citation][nom]TheHelix[/nom]To the people complaining about the RMAH. Diablo 2 was plagued with sites that would sell you items for money (no need to mention names.. everyone who has played diablo enough knows what i mean). I guess Blizzard thought that if they can't find an efficient way to stop that from happening , at least provide the players with an "official" alternative. So don't act like money for items is something new to the diablo community.[/citation]

What's new is Blizzard openly condoning it and profiting from it. I look forward to seeing the long term effects of their decision.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[nom]brennanmh[/nom]
you talk about gaming and Mac? than for pc
Core i5
8 GB memory
ATI Radeon 2x HD 6850 1024MB to run any games at this resolution (2560 x 1440) with reasonable frame rates and quality You'd probably pay less for this pc than for your iMac but what ever man since letter `i` is much better than having great gaming experience.

G

While the article was an interesting read, it should be noted that their fps metric using running around Tristram does not accurately represent the game under load. Players will see a significant drop in their system's performance when the screen is loaded down with demons and with three other players on the screen. While my GTX460 did ok with the game, I could definitely not run it at max settings when playing with other people.

G

My new laptop can run Diablo 3 on pretty high settings. It's an HP Pavillion g6 that I got for 379.99 at Best Buy. Despite my dislike of Best Buy the laptop was a great deal for some portable Photoshop CS5. And I can play games on it as well!

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
[citation][nom]rockitman[/nom]so you have not been successful getting eyefinity to work on the beta version? Dang! Comeon game makers, triple monitor res's should be standard by now. Eyefinity with this game could be supercool, you could see ahead and behind farther out.[/citation]

Triple monitor is the lames thing. I jumped on band wagon and it was less than impressive. 2560x1600 is way to go and would recommend it over and over...it is not just the resolution but the IPS that makes games beautiful and rich. Perhaps once we have frameless monitors maybe but still those gaps in image are so annoying.

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
[citation][nom]trace_87[/nom]This article will need another go once the game comes out. You have to have something a bit more taxing than this.[/citation]

I absolutely agree. Past experience has shown me that while Blizzard game requirements are fairly low out of the gate, to get the full visual experience and maintain an acceptable framerate in heated multiplayer battles, with many objects on the screen and effects flying in every direction, it can demand more performance than expected.

Guys I have deleted a few abusive comments.

Please be aware when you post here that "the author" or "the guy tho wrote this" actually participates in this forum in order to respond to your questions ... unlike many of the other internet hardware sites where the author writes an article and flees.

Don's username is cleeve and he answers a few queries in every one of his articles.

He has a passion for graphics and has a good sense of humour.

One of the reasons toms is so good is we have a ton of charts, and related articles ... a good knowledge base ... and good staff who actually participate in the forums.

Treat them with a bit of respect or I'll swing the banhammer.

Remember Diablo III is still beta ... the article is a preview ... not an exhaustive test.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
Also remember, gents, that any benchmark that involves a heavy fight will tax performance more heavily, but will also sacrifice reproducibility. That's likely not a compromise most of you want to see made, as it'll misrepresent performance relative to other hardware configurations.

G

Why did my comment get deleted :S? Tomshardware can't handle the truth :O?

Status
Not open for further replies.